Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

IPhone Q: Is a Screen Protector Necessary?

This is a discussion on IPhone Q: Is a Screen Protector Necessary? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Instead of dropping all that money into trying to protect it. Why not buy insurance on it? I talked to ...

Young Puffer Fish

Re: IPhone Q: Is a Screen Protector Necessary?

Instead of dropping all that money into trying to protect it. Why not buy insurance on it? I talked to State Farm this week and they have a personal articles policy. It will insure an item which costs more than $400 (up to $3000) for $30 a year.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish arodgers's Avatar

My 3G, taken with my new 3GS. Fell from a height of about 3 feet onto a linoleum floor.

That phone has been through hell and back though. It has sand underneath the screen from Iraq, it's fallen onto concrete and been kicked 10 feet, and even after the fall that broke the screen, it still worked. I tried an Otterbox on my new 3GS and just couldn't get used to it. I settled on a little leather slip case, so at least it will be protected while it's in my pocket.

Newbie in the ocean

Rather than something that ONLY protects the screen, I just got GadgetShieldz for full body protection. A good thing about it is it doesn't have a rough texture that some screen protectors have, which makes the screen harder to use. GadgetShieldz was also clear and transparent. Some screen protectors make the screen a bit cloudy.

The thing is screen protectors do help, but some have adverse properties. However, there are many good ones out there like GadgetShieldz that don't make the screen feel rough.

Hands down, I would have to recommend the Otterbox. I'm not nice to my 3G and it's still good to go after about a year and a half. Plus if you break any part of the case, just call them up and they will send you a new case for free.

But if you do crack the screen, you can buy a replacement touch screen and all the tools on eBay for $8 shipped. My girlfriend had a 3GS for about a month and dropped it without a case and shattered the screen. I swapped it out and it's been running fine ever since.

Puffer Fish with many spikes bcannon87's Avatar

+1,000,000 on the otterbox!! I had a 3gs and now have a iPhone 4 and both of them had an otterbox! And I dropped that 3gs more than i can to say with no problem! The 4 is a little for delicate (for a lack of better term) because both the front and back are compressed glass unlike the 3gs where its only the front! So I WOULD Definitely go with the Otterbox!!
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches...

Young Fish

I have an otterbox on my EVO and it is has seen a lot of abuse. It has been dropped a dozen times and the phone still looks like new!

You don't need a screen protector. I had one on for a while and the bubbles drove me nuts. I have had my 3GS for almost 2 years now and there are minimal scratches. I'm talking the only way you can notice them is to put it at an angle in light when it's locked.

If you don't put your phone in your pocket with keys (duh) you will be fine and I have even done that a few times by accident. I have dropped on concrete and gravel, sat on, and done just about everything to my phone and it has passed with flying colors. I do, however recommend you get an "in-case slider" case. Like 15 bucks and skinny. It has protected the screen from shattering which I was really worried about.

IMHO otterboxes are overkill unless you are a soldier or work construction. They are ridiculously bulky and expensive

EDIT: I just realized this thread was revived from 3 years ago

Young Puffer Fish

Yes, VERY necessary, if you're the sort of person who wants to keep things in pristine condition for as long as you can, like me! Some people do this so that their devices have better resale value, and although I don't normally sell my used old stuff away (in fact I have never done so, not even with a car I don't drive anymore, and my drawers are full of mobile phones that I have used in the past!), I just like keeping them in as new a condition as possible. Family and friends are often very surprised at how I keep my things still looking new after 10 years, and it's no secret! I just look after them very well, especially while they were in service in my daily affairs.

The more recent iPhone are fitted with very scratch resistant Gorilla glass, but I have seen scratches on those without screen protectors on anyway. I would recommend protectors be used anyhow, unless you don't really care about keeping things in pristine condition, as long as they are usable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2