Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Computer help.

This is a discussion on Computer help. within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Magicseven I have had issues with my desktop not starting up. What normally happens is the icons ...

Re: Computer help.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicseven View Post
    I have had issues with my desktop not starting up. What normally happens is the icons don't show up and the comp just stalls and won't work. After about 10 restarts it finally starts. Well my router went bad yesterday and I replaced it and now it barely start and I can't connect to the internet?

Do you think it's my wireless card?

Any suggestions?

I'm leaning towards the Power Supply but Disconnect it a see if it fixes the problem.....
    ViVat Jesus!

cigar fish...

BTW - The absolute *best* tool I've seen, when even CHKDSK gives up, is "SpinRite" (grc.com).

It can take a while, but it's recovered data and drives for me that all else failed. If you think it's a hard drive problem. As someone mentioned, you can often hear it. It'll either whine, or sometimes you'll hear a rythmic pattern as it reads/times out/reads/times out/...

FYI - Mark
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    +1.

When your computer fails to boot, it is most commonly a hardware issue, as opposed to a software issue.

Puffer Fish with some spikes JuJuMan16's Avatar

So far you said that the computer runs very slow, and it takes serveral reboots for it to work... That can be a Virus / Spyware, low ram or faulty hardware. Can be a bit tricky to pinpoint unless i have more info. Keep in mind, XP is very stable, but it lacks the self maintenance features that vista and win 7 have like a scheduled defrag etc.

How much ram does the pc have?

How often do you defrag?

What antivirus do you have, does it update on its own, if not, how often do you update it?

Do you hear a clicking noise coming from the pc?

Have you had any blue screens, fatal errors, sudden reboots?

What happened with the router? How did it break? Was it secure / encrypted? What brand?

If your pc can boot into your os and you get internet i dont mind taking a look at it for you. Theres software i can use to connect remotely and i can run a checkup, scan for malware, make sure your antivirus is good, etc. You can see everything i am doing and i can teach you a couple of things on how to make your pc run and maintain itself. I am not sure how computer savvy you are, but i can probably save you a couple of bucks before you take your pc to Best Buy and let the Rape Squad charge you an arm and a leg. The best part, for a BOTL its free. If you want send me a PM and we can schedule something after i get out of work this week.

I was thinking of writing a how to and posting it on the most common issues i encounter day to day with pcs and how to maintain your pc clean. Im not an expert, i am a supervisor of an IT helpdesk at a bank, but i do get to see a lot of the problems people run into with pcs. I also see how bad people get screwed by so called "techs" and give us a bad name, which is why, i almost never charge.

I can be way off, but I don't think it is a power supply issue. The computer stars and hangs, and then needs restarted. As noted above I would imagine its sometype of software/hardware conflict, or virus. You can trace your steps back to any changes made, try to restore it back to a good day. If you have an older computer and its clogged with pictures of humidors and the like, it might be time for a fresh install anyway.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Yosysfire View Post
    I can be way off, but I don't think it is a power supply issue. The computer stars and hangs, and then needs restarted. As noted above I would imagine its sometype of software/hardware conflict, or virus. You can trace your steps back to any changes made, try to restore it back to a good day. If you have an older computer and its clogged with pictures of humidors and the like, it might be time for a fresh install anyway.

Adam
    Sorry --- I did miss the part about it stating, etc..I thought he said it was locking up with a blank screen....
    ViVat Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by tobacmon View Post
    Sorry --- I did miss the part about it stating, etc..I thought he said it was locking up with a blank screen....
    I missed it too at first. Locking up with a blank screen could very well be the power supply. But if it boots and then hangs it might be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yosysfire View Post
    I missed it too at first. Locking up with a blank screen could very well be the power supply. But if it boots and then hangs it might be something else.
    Very good point!
    ViVat Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by JuJuMan16 View Post
    So far you said that the computer runs very slow, and it takes serveral reboots for it to work... That can be a Virus / Spyware, low ram or faulty hardware. Can be a bit tricky to pinpoint unless i have more info. Keep in mind, XP is very stable, but it lacks the self maintenance features that vista and win 7 have like a scheduled defrag etc.

How much ram does the pc have?

How often do you defrag?

What antivirus do you have, does it update on its own, if not, how often do you update it?

Do you hear a clicking noise coming from the pc?

Have you had any blue screens, fatal errors, sudden reboots?

What happened with the router? How did it break? Was it secure / encrypted? What brand?

If your pc can boot into your os and you get internet i dont mind taking a look at it for you. Theres software i can use to connect remotely and i can run a checkup, scan for malware, make sure your antivirus is good, etc. You can see everything i am doing and i can teach you a couple of things on how to make your pc run and maintain itself. I am not sure how computer savvy you are, but i can probably save you a couple of bucks before you take your pc to Best Buy and let the Rape Squad charge you an arm and a leg. The best part, for a BOTL its free. If you want send me a PM and we can schedule something after i get out of work this week.

I was thinking of writing a how to and posting it on the most common issues i encounter day to day with pcs and how to maintain your pc clean. Im not an expert, i am a supervisor of an IT helpdesk at a bank, but i do get to see a lot of the problems people run into with pcs. I also see how bad people get screwed by so called "techs" and give us a bad name, which is why, i almost never charge.

I am not sure about the ram, i bought right before they starting adding the bus ram to the mother board.

I usually defrag about every 2 weeks, but get the error saying this drive cannot be fully defraged.

I have not heard any clicking noise, but I will listen carefully next time.

I am using AVG 8.5 and it updates regularly. I have it to auto-run every day.

No Blue screens, no reboots or fatal errors. Once I get it going it wroks fine till I have to shut it down again.

I had a old netgear 802.11 and it was 5 years old. My speed went from 5M to 236kps.

I get it to the point where I can get my wireless card to recognize my new modem, but I can't establish a connection, then it just freezes as i play with it. Keep in mind I only can try this about once every 20 restarts.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Ok lets get the pc working first, then we worry about the router. Try to boot the pc into safe mode, to bypass the extra stuff from loading. As soon as it comes up, go to start, run and type "chkdsk c: /f /r". Reboot and let the chkdsk run. When its done make notes of the results. I am assuming you are not running a raid configuration.

I think your issue is the drive since its telling you that the drive cannot be fully defraged, unless its almost full. If the chkdsk helps, we can try to figure out the manufacturer of the drive since most of them provide software that you can run to check the health of the drive for free. I would try to find out first if your drive is about to give up before you waste your time doing a fresh xp install on it.

That's another problem carlos.

You hit f7 to get into safe mode right? I won't even go into safe mode. I'll try again tonight.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicseven View Post
    That's another problem carlos.

You hit f7 to get into safe mode right? I won't even go into safe mode. I'll try again tonight.
    Actually, the correct key can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even os to os. Try different keys like F4 & F8. You might have to try them all until you get the right one.

F8 should be it

Carlos and everyone else who has helped.

When I try what you typed it says it will do it next time it starts up.

When I just type in chkdsk is starts. I'll post result in a few.

yeah my bad i forgot to add that, you want it to do it on startup.

actually i did, reboot and let it run. The /f and the /r switches are for

/f Fixes errors on the disk
    /r recovers data from bad sectors

It shouldnt let you do it anyways because the disk is in use, which is why it needs to reboot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast