Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Computer help.

This is a discussion on Computer help. within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; OK it finshed the normal way without any errors. It promted me to do it next time it started up, ...

Re: Computer help.

OK it finshed the normal way without any errors.

It promted me to do it next time it started up, so i'll restart it and pray.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

OK Carlos.

Did the straight check disc and no errors.

Did the check disc with the f and c iike you said no errors again.

It actually pulled up 3 times now without issues.

zI have my wireless card connected to my linksys. I have a wg3011 netgear card? is that my issue?

I get the error saying windows has limited or no connectivity error. I try to re-new the connection and it says can't renew ip address.

Thanks again.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Puffer Fish with some spikes JuJuMan16's Avatar

ok, so if the pc is stable now, lets look at network issue.

Is this the same wireless card you had from before, and did it work fine?
    Do you have any other pc's connected to the router that work? if you dont, you can try to connect to the router using a patch cable. if you get an ip and get to the internet, then its definetly the wireless.

When i set up a new router, i configure it using a patch cable, and nothing else connected to the router. The router should be able to assign you an ip, and you can find the ip of the router by typing "ipconfig /all" on the command prompt. The router's address will be the default gateway. Once you have that, you go and configure the router by typing in the routers ip on your web browser. If you have a linksys, most likely the username and password is admin. Leave the connection type as "automatic configuration" (if i remember correctly) enable the wireless, with whatever security method you choose (or you can secure it later, just dont forget), and save all settings. Unplug the patch cable, and connect using the wireless, make sure you get an ip from the router using the wireless card. All this without connecting it to your IPS's router (internet). Unplug the power from the linksys, unplug the power from your ISP's router. Heres the part were you have to experiment based on my experiences. Plug in the patch cable from your ISP's router to the "wan" port on the linksys and power them both on, see if you get internet. If you dont, connect it to the number one port and reboot them both. When i switched ISP's here at my house i had to do that... it took me a few hours to figure it out.

First make sure you can get internet wired, then you can isolate whether the issue is the router not communicating out or your wireless. Ill be on for another 30 mins before i hit the bed, if it doesnt work ill pm you my number and we can keep going over the phone tomorrow.

Easier without the hat. Bigtotoro's Avatar

I am also kind of a PC/network tech, my own self. Email me at the office and we can take a look at those router settings tomorrow if Carlos is tied up. He is right when it comes to "techs". In general, when you call for support, you get tier 1. Tier 1 is reading from a knowledgebase. Tier 2 is Tier 1 with seniority. Tier 3 can ACTUALLY help you.

That wireless card should work just fine with that router, assuming everything is set up correctly. For future reference, you will not have to "listen" for a clicking hard drive. You will know. You have gotten good advice here so far. In my personal experience, you are looking at hardware for a boot fail about 70% of the time. If you are booting up now with no issue now it may just be "one of those things" (<------fancy tech term) that pop up from time to time.

I have no use for RG.

Do you think the Chkdsk fixed any issues? Do you think I should try to reboot tonight a time or two just to make sure it is stable? Someone else mentioned doing some kind of scan/fix should i try that and how do you do that?

yes it is the same wireless card i had before it's about 3 years old now. It worked fine and it also worked fine with my lap-top. The only reason I changed out my router, it my speed went from 5mb to 236kps.

I think I did most of what you advised when setting up my new router. I inserted the start-up disc into my lap-top and followed their instructions. And I had it connected from the router right into my lap-top using a cat 5 cable (I am assuming when you say patch cable you mean a cat 5 right?). I went through all the steps the disc told me and it worked great with my lap-top. Heck I only pay for 5mb service and when I speed tested it, it registered 10mb. Then I disconnected the cable and it worked fine. I plugged the cable into my ps3 so it's hard wired and have no issues with that either.

Does that explain everything?

Young Puffer Fish

On a windows machine. Hit F8 on bootup and select last known good config. This might have gotten hosed with amount of times you rebooted your machine..

Next thing you can try is is sfc. Start -> Run -> type in "sfc /scannow" or "sfc /scanboot"

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

If that doesn't help your pretty well hosed... It will probably take more work to find issue than to re-install.

Happy hunting... As for switching to a Mac... I am using one now and it's no better than any other modern OS except maybe Vista... XP is ancient its a miracle that its still relevant 10 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicseven View Post
    Do you think the Chkdsk fixed any issues? Do you think I should try to reboot tonight a time or two just to make sure it is stable? Someone else mentioned doing some kind of scan/fix should i try that and how do you do that?

yes it is the same wireless card i had before it's about 3 years old now. It worked fine and it also worked fine with my lap-top. The only reason I changed out my router, it my speed went from 5mb to 236kps.

I think I did most of what you advised when setting up my new router. I inserted the start-up disc into my lap-top and followed their instructions. And I had it connected from the router right into my lap-top using a cat 5 cable (I am assuming when you say patch cable you mean a cat 5 right?). I went through all the steps the disc told me and it worked great with my lap-top. Heck I only pay for 5mb service and when I speed tested it, it registered 10mb. Then I disconnected the cable and it worked fine. I plugged the cable into my ps3 so it's hard wired and have no issues with that either.

Does that explain everything?
    It is possible that it did. The end result can scroll by fairly quickly if you are not paying attention. If you are booted in to the OS, run a virus scan. AVG free will do fine. Download, update, run, goto lunch (it'll take a fair spell), post results.

I have no use for RG.

ok did the restart and still not pulling up. Must have gotten lucky when it restarted. Tried to restart 3 times and still hanging.

So what now?

Will it boot into safe mode? Where exactly is it hanging?

I have no use for RG.

I can sometimes get it into safe mode.

All the icons will not appear and it won't run anything.

Have you done a repair installation?

I have no use for RG.

Nope how do you do that one?

Are you able to back up your data or have you already backed up? Do you have any data you can't live without? Hopefully your problem can be resolved without any loses but it is possible to lose data.

Young Puffer Fish

Sorry to burst your bubble guys chkdsk doesn't actually repair anything. It just checks file table and makes sure there is a file associated. On modern journalized file systems this does occur but very rarely...

It's a good idea to run chkdsk once in a while to catch these rare errors when system crashes before it chance to write file to journal. When an error is found it just changes file table with some weird name so you can go back in an *try* to piece it back together.

If you want to check your system files and replace them with ones microsoft thinks you should be running the command is "sfc" for system file checker. File signatures (md5 maybe?) are checked and replaced with ones from CD if they do not match up.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

I have no use for RG.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast