Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Computer help.

This is a discussion on Computer help. within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by vu2vu Sorry to burst your bubble guys chkdsk doesn't actually repair anything. It just checks file table ...

Easier without the hat. Bigtotoro's Avatar

Re: Computer help.

Quote Originally Posted by vu2vu View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble guys chkdsk doesn't actually repair anything. It just checks file table and makes sure there is a file associated. On modern journalized file systems this does occur but very rarely...

It's a good idea to run chkdsk once in a while to catch these rare errors when system crashes before it chance to write file to journal. When an error is found it just changes file table with some weird name so you can go back in an *try* to piece it back together.

If you want to check your system files and replace them with ones microsoft thinks you should be running the command is "sfc" for system file checker. File signatures (md5 maybe?) are checked and replaced with ones from CD if they do not match up.
    chkdsk /f will attempt to repair certain disk errors. If the file itself has been modified, you will have to change the file itself. We are getting dangerously close to "take off, nuke the site from orbit" territory. I don't suppose you have a multimeter laying around?

I have no use for RG.

Young Puffer Fish

By repair you mean attempt to move from sector and and tag it as defective. Yes it does. Most if not all hard drive controller chips do this automatically; manufactures ship drives with extra space for just this purpose.

If you by chance start to see bad sectors in chkdsk start backing up your data immediately. This means there are too many errors for hard drive for controller to handle. Either way its a pattern that will most likely result in catastrophic failure.

And yes. I always have a multimeter and soldering iron available. It's peoples love of that ancient OS that keeps many of my friends employed...... I prefer a more tested and proven approach to computer issues these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtotoro View Post
    chkdsk /f will attempt to repair certain disk errors. If the file itself has been modified, you will have to change the file itself. We are getting dangerously close to "take off, nuke the site from orbit" territory. I don't suppose you have a multimeter laying around?

I figured you had one. I was referring to the OP. So, for the sake of clarity, would that make you Mac guy or Linux guy?

I have no use for RG.

Young Puffer Fish

OSX on mac is much better than XP. But it's not fair to compare the two since one is being actively developed and the latter is at end of life. I did grow attached to Windows 7 when I did some time at msft. But when I got a new job they handed me a macbook; can't argue with free.

Linux on desktop isn't even on my radar. I try to leave that at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtotoro View Post
    I figured you had one. I was referring to the OP. So, for the sake of clarity, would that make you Mac guy or Linux guy?

XP is stable but is what, 8 years old now? MS has already passed 2 drop dead dates on it but keeps going back.
    Win 7 is pretty clean. I was in on the beta and liked it so much that I did a clean install of RC1 when it was available.

I have no use for RG.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4