Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Computer help.

This is a discussion on Computer help. within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I have had issues with my desktop not starting up. What normally happens is the icons don't show up and ...

Computer help.

I have had issues with my desktop not starting up. What normally happens is the icons don't show up and the comp just stalls and won't work. After about 10 restarts it finally starts. Well my router went bad yesterday and I replaced it and now it barely start and I can't connect to the internet?

Do you think it's my wireless card?

Any suggestions?
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Re: Computer help.

If it is hanging during the boot, your best bet is to reformat and reinstall your operating system. If you can get it started and keep it running, do a system restore. If it won't start at all, power supply needs to be replaced?

No expert, but had these problem before!

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Stench View Post
    If it is hanging during the boot, your best bet is to reformat and reinstall your operating system. If you can get it started and keep it running, do a system restore. If it won't start at all, power supply needs to be replaced?

No expert, but had these problem before!
    All sounds like good advice. It's a big pain, but a clean install is the best solution.

What type of computer and operating system are you using?

Dell xp320 and windows xp.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yosysfire View Post
    What type of computer and operating system are you using?
    +1

Before you format and reinstall windows, be aware that it can result in a complete loss of your data if you haven't backed up your data. If you are familiar with how to format and install windows, you can also repair windows (depending on your os) through a similar process that should leave all of your data alone. Please note, this is very different from using the windows recovery console. Avoid the recovery console.

Leading Puffer Fish

I'm sure I'll get killed for posting this here, but I'm a Mac guy through and through, even though I keep a PC around as well. And love the Time Machine application via Mac, it allows restores and fixes very quickly. Didn't know if there was a PC type app out there. Just a little FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    +1

Before you format and reinstall windows, be aware that it can result in a complete loss of your data if you haven't backed up your data. If you are familiar with how to format and install windows, you can also repair windows (depending on your os) through a similar process that should leave all of your data alone. Please note, this is very different from using the windows recovery console. Avoid the recovery console.
    Well stated. Thats why I asked what computer and OS. First thing to do is save/back-up any important data you have. First sign of any trouble with a computer you should start the back-up. Depending on how much data you have, you can burn it to CD's/DVD's, or use an external hard drive.
    After back-up: With your Dell you have an option to bring the computer back to the way it was when you bought it. While the computer is starting up, press 'CTRL and F11', you can follow the on screen instructions from there. But be warned it will delete anything you want on there. Your computer will be just like the day it was born.
    That may be the easiest way to troubleshoot your computer. If that doesn't work, we can start to narrow down from there.

But be warned, it will delete your data....including your favorite link to this site.

Adam

Puffer Fish with many spikes BTcigars's Avatar

I highly recommend doing a repair install first. If your computer still dosent want to work then you should do a full, clean install.

Backing up your data is always a smart thing. DVD's are good if you don't have that much but if you have a lot of large files like media (movies, music, etc.) then you should invest in a Seagate external hard drive. It is a good and fast way to backup all of those files. Also, the reason why I am recommended Seagate is because their hard drives and warranties are some of the best. I'm a loyal customer of theirs after years of good experiences.
    Be sure to check out my blog http://www.BTcigars.com

cigar fish...

Any chance you have a virus? The slow-start and erratic behavior sounds like a nasty one that started sometime last year.. (sorry). What are you using for AV software, and is it 'current'?

Sorry to hear of the trouble - the things become pretty central in our lives here too!

Mark

^ This is what happened to me, XP sp-3. I did a safe start, ran a sweep (my running anti bad stuff let it through) all's fine, I did not lose any data.

cigar fish...

You can also run a disk check - sometimes you get a bad spot on the drive... (CHKDSK)

You can access it through the System Administrators section of the Control Panel, or from the DOS prompt..

?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msilbernagel View Post
    You can also run a disk check - sometimes you get a bad spot on the drive... (CHKDSK)

You can access it through the System Administrators section of the Control Panel, or from the DOS prompt..

?
    +1.

When your computer fails to boot, it is most commonly a hardware issue, as opposed to a software issue.

The most likely culprit is a failing hard drive. If this is the case, you will most likely hear a clicking noise coming from your computer. Its not humming, but its an actual click. You'll know if you hear it. Hard drive warranties are most commonly offered at 3 years for a reason, after that point, they fail much faster.

The second most likely hardware culprit is a failing power supply. They can be had fairly cheaply ($20), but are a tad harder to install.

If its hardware based, no restore disk is going to make a large difference. I would try them first, as they are free and easy to do, but it might not work. XP repair install is good, but not if the hard drive is going bad. Repair install may make your computer boot, as it gets around the bad sectors, but its a very short term fix.

The first question I would ask "have you added any new hardware/software lately?" If the answer is yes, then attempt to uninstall (software), or remove (hardware) what you have added.
    If the answer is no, unplug everything connected to your computer via USB, except your mouse and keyboard (assuming they are USB as well). Attempt a power on, what are the results?

I have seen numerous times a USB attached device receive an automatic update and cause the exact symptoms as described.

Just my .02

I'm thinking like this--If it is the power supply (causes failures like this) then replace it first then see what happens--Could save allot of time checking the obvious first--what do you guys think?
    ViVat Jesus!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast