Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

iMac vs. PC

This is a discussion on iMac vs. PC within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; The thread title says it all. I'm in the market for a new machine and I'm really interested in making ...

Question iMac vs. PC

The thread title says it all. I'm in the market for a new machine and I'm really interested in making the jump to a Mac. Anybody care to weigh in on the pros and cons?

JGD

Re: iMac vs. PC

I made the Mac conversion a few years ago, and I refuse to go back to PCs. I'll list some of the pros and cons that I have found:

Pros:

The OS is simple.
    As of right now there are no viruses for Macs. Be aware though that as they become more popular there will likely be some that are developed.
    I've found my macs to be very durable (I've had the original MacBook Pro and the new generation titanium MacBook)
    The battery life is amazing for their lap tops.
    The Apple Store - You can bring in your computer and ask them questions, they can usually fix it on the spot if there are problems, and you can take classes there.
    You can install windows on the Mac and have the choice of which one to use when booting up. This gets around any software that doesnt support Mac.
    All those problems with Windows.... You never need to think about them again.
    When Apple does upgrade the OS around every 2 years the upgrades are generally very inexpensive, and are very easilly done without any headaches.

Cons:
    Macs are known for their sexiness, and because of that they can charge more.
    Although its gotten better, not all software is available for both Macs and PCs.
    They are harder to customize.
    There are some issues when using other companies' routers and such.

The main problem with mac's is usually the price, although they can be reasonable if you do some research. Don't make the mistake of thinking mac's don't crash or have issues, because they do.

To make things more difficult, just when I really started to hate Microsoft they released Windows 7 which I have to admit is really nice.

Ultimately, I don't see any true advantages any os has over another except possibly Linux which only has the advantage of being free.

At home I run a multi-boot computer with Linux & XP. I boot to Linux for internet surfing and the like and I boot to XP for productivity and work. I might possibly upgrade to Windows 7 but I'll probably always run at least two os's from now on.

My advice is to consider what you are going to use the machine for and then simply buy as much performance as possible to accomplish your task. If the machine is just for home use, I think either os will be a good choice.

BTW, Windows 7 pro is ridiculusly easy to network, but so is Linux Mint 8.

The main problem with mac's is usually the price, but don't make the mistake of thinking mac's don't crash or have issues, because they do.

To make things more difficult, just when I really started to hate Microsoft they released Windows 7 which I have to admit is really nice.

Ultimately, I don't see any true advantages any os has over another except possibly Linux which only has the advantage of being free.

At home I run a multi-boot computer with Linux & XP. I boot to Linux for internet surfing and the like and I boot to XP for productivity and work. I might possibly upgrade to Windows 7 but I'll probably always run at least two os's.

My advice is to consider what you are going to use the machine for and then simply buy as much performance as your budget allows to accomplish your task. If the machine is just for home use, I think either os will be a good choice.

BTW, Windows 7 pro is ridiculously easy to network, but so is Linux Mint 8. I recently put an HP PC with Windows 7 on our network where I work and so far I have been really impressed with the machine and its performance.

Got my first mac in Fall '08 after my life on various pc's. I have found there are no advantages to Mac, except faster startup and operation, less crashing, less restarting, and overall better performance.
    Other than that Mac and PCs are the same.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" W.Wonka

I have a 27" iMac 3.06Ghz. My only gripe is that OSX is slower than Windows in opening/closing programs and such.

Multi-tasking is better.

Young Puffer Fish

Here is how you decide.

Write down everything you do on a computer. Then go check to make sure apple has an app built in OSX that does it. Chances are they do. Get a MAC if most if not all your computing needs are built in.

If you find a good portion of things you do require 3rd party apps. Get Windows. The applications developed for Windows are in most cases light years ahead of comparable program son the MAC.

Leading Puffer Fish

I've been using Macs since the day I was born, well maybe not that far back, but my father bought his first mac the year I was born, and has been using them ever since. I grew up using Macs until I hit High School and learned the ins and outs of a PC. I always have a Mac and PC around. But I primarily use a iMac and MacBook Pro, both running VMware Fusion so I have both Mac OS X and Windows with me at all times. A nice match made in heaven.

Enjoy the new toy! It's always fun to have new technology.

Just get a PC and install FreeBSD on it. Or Gentoo.. Need to run Windows apps? Install Wine.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

Cons
    -Macs lag in technology. Newer technology doesn't become available for six months.
    -If its a video card, make that six years it seems like...
    -Extremely Pricey for the hardware you get.
    -While using the BSD kernel, OSX is still as locked down and properietary as Windows.
    -Limited Hardware support from accessory vendors that aren't Apple.

I have both. The PC needed to be restored three times. The mac never.

Full grown Puffer Fish ShortyStogie's Avatar

Hey there,

This thread has been dead for a while, so I thought i'd poke it alive...

I recently (about 2 years ago) converted to a mac ecosystem (my laptop, my desktop, two apple tv's, ipods, a mac mini for my home theater, etc), and think that they are wonderful and amazing machines.

Having said that, however, let me make a few qualifications:

- I don't think there is anything that the mac does that the pc doesn't do. It's nothing but a matter of preferences.
    - That argument is true that the hardware usually isn't up to specs for the price... However, in my daily usage, I have not found that matters much. In fact, I don't even remember what processor / ram is in my iMac at home... but it never lags, slows down, bogs down.
    - I have forgotten how you need to sometimes kill processes or ctrl-alt-delete when the pc hangs... That just does not happen on my systems now. Things... just... work.

At the end of the day, my take is that as techy as I like to be, and as much as I used to like to fiddle with my pc hardware and OS, that stuff has lost its charm for me, and now I just want pcs that work. No headaches.

And that's the reason that I stick to macs.

Hope you come to a decision that works for you... Enjoy!

-SS