Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

iPad, anyone going to buy?

This is a discussion on iPad, anyone going to buy? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm with Warren, I think I have all the tech stuff I can carry at once or store in my ...

Re: iPad, anyone going to buy?

I'm with Warren, I think I have all the tech stuff I can carry at once or store in my house without my wife freaking out. HA

Highland Park SingleMalt salmonfly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SNKBITE View Post
    I'm with Warren, I think I have all the tech stuff I can carry at once or store in my house without my wife freaking out. HA
    +1 here

Jokes for reps themoneycollector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
    Won't start a flame war, but while I love the hardware, I hate the Apple's approach to software. So, I won't be buying one.
    I'm with you on this one. If history is any indication, their ebooks will be full price.

And I don't see much difference than tablets which have since fallen out of favor. The price is fairly low, maybe that will jumpstart it.

Full grown Puffer Fish ShortyStogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
    I'm with you on this one. If history is any indication, their ebooks will be full price.

And I don't see much difference than tablets which have since fallen out of favor. The price is fairly low, maybe that will jumpstart it.
    I think on the contrary... I think the books will be anything but full price. I think I read that even Jobs said that he is going to match the prices at Amazon.

But to answer the thread, I'll probably end up with one just because I love apple products...

However, am I alone in thinking that the actual product announcement was a complete let down? I can't imagine using that thing for anything except the wow-factor of actually having one. I have an iPod touch, which I adore... but I don't think that I need a larger one of those.

I personally, was very disappointed at the lack of camera (though, the story now is that there might actually be one when it launches). The keyboard looks cool, but it just seems like you're lugging around extra accessories just so you can have a cool looking tablet.

I remember reading somewhere earlier that the interaction with this thing will blow you away and take a little getting used to... I'm already used to a keyboard.

What am I missing?

-SS

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyStogie View Post
    I think on the contrary... I think the books will be anything but full price. I think I read that even Jobs said that he is going to match the prices at Amazon.

But to answer the thread, I'll probably end up with one just because I love apple products...

However, am I alone in thinking that the actual product announcement was a complete let down? I can't imagine using that thing for anything except the wow-factor of actually having one. I have an iPod touch, which I adore... but I don't think that I need a larger one of those.

I personally, was very disappointed at the lack of camera (though, the story now is that there might actually be one when it launches). The keyboard looks cool, but it just seems like you're lugging around extra accessories just so you can have a cool looking tablet.

I remember reading somewhere earlier that the interaction with this thing will blow you away and take a little getting used to... I'm already used to a keyboard.

What am I missing?

-SS
    Fauzi, I can't agree with you more. The whole event was a huge let down. I think Apple expected a much better response than they got. I usually wait to see what I think until I actually play around with the product at the local apple store. But I think the UI could be pretty nice considering it's twice the size of my iphone. That's where multi-touch really becomes effective.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

No flash, a 1ghz ARM chip when the 2ghz dual core ARM chip is a month or so from production...

Its bad timing for the ipad. In 2-3 months, a much stronger ARM cpu will be available, which will be capable of playing flash videos, and so other distributors will be able to put out a better product quickly. Whether they do or not, well, we'll see.

Young Puffer Fish

You will probably never see flash running on Iphone or Ipad. They might add it eventually but much like blue-ray Apple has taken it's stance on flash.

The reason you need such a fast CPU to run flash video is Adobe is incapable of adding support for gpu acceleration. They have been talking about it for years...

Flash is going the way of Acrobat. Just bloated and unmanageable. I for one would be happy if both of these applications would die.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    No flash, a 1ghz ARM chip when the 2ghz dual core ARM chip is a month or so from production...

Its bad timing for the ipad. In 2-3 months, a much stronger ARM cpu will be available, which will be capable of playing flash videos, and so other distributors will be able to put out a better product quickly. Whether they do or not, well, we'll see.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Stogie's Avatar

I got to have one! I love technology and that means I got to have this.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I was really disappointed with the ipad. The only new thing it could bring to the table (acting as a reader) is ruined by a glossy screen, poor battery life and an LCD screen that will strain the eye after a couple hours (at least for me). I'll stick with a kindle and leave the web surfing to any high resolution smartphone like the Google Nexus One *cough*if-they-ever-fix-the-3G*cough*

I will be picking one up but will probably wait for next gen to be released. The next release should have at least 128 / 256gb SS, should have faster processor and maybe improved screen(higher res)?

Might be waiting until early next year but I just bought a Vaio 13.1 laptop with all the fruit to fill this gap so that should see me through.

Also with flexible LCDs coming out into the market over the next couple of years that should also make for some interesting new gadgets.

Nah, who am I kidding it's a new toy and I'll end up with one the week it comes out and it will eventually end up with all my other ipods in a box somewhere or given away when the next one comes along.

Unless it somehow manages to find a spot in my heart like this one. This thing hasn't missed a beat in about 7 years.

Puffer Fish with some spikes carguy13's Avatar

naw, i'm going to go with the HP Slate...or the Microsoft one with two 7" screens, the courier.

Full grown Puffer Fish dirletra's Avatar

I"m an apple freeeaak but I think they coulda done better with a product like this. To me it seems like they are targeting the house wife group. If iPad ran OS X I would be AAALLL over that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by dirletra View Post
    I"m an apple freeeaak but I think they coulda done better with a product like this. To me it seems like they are targeting the house wife group. If iPad ran OS X I would be AAALLL over that thing!
    I would say you're probably not too far off the mark with that comment, well maybe not the house wife group but more that generation that just want simplistic easy computing, no hassles it just works. I think this will be the product for them.

Puffer Fish with some spikes carguy13's Avatar

but it doesn't work really, it's got battery issues and doesn't run flash...

you may not think it's a necessity, but to have a normal computing experience you need flash.

or at some point in the products use you will want it.

hell, its still a a computer, give it a year or so for the "smarter then me" people to right all the programs, and do all the really hard work, and you will be able to find stuff online to allow you to install OS X on it....hell, right now they got programs and such out there, that will allow you to run bootleged copies of OS X on your pc, using a flashdrive.....there are some crazy things out there if you just wait and look.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast