Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

building a mIRC server?

This is a discussion on building a mIRC server? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; i know this is a long shot, but i was just wondering if anyone has ever done that? i'm familiar ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes carguy13's Avatar

building a mIRC server?

i know this is a long shot, but i was just wondering if anyone has ever done that?

i'm familiar with using mIRC from the client side, i've just never set up and actual server.

i can't register a new channel, i have to actually have the server...

any ideas?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

Re: building a mIRC server?

You'll need a virtual private server with the IRC server application installed.

Highland Park SingleMalt salmonfly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    You'll need a virtual private server with the IRC server application installed.
    +1, Do you have any hardware? and what are you using?
    Last edited by salmonfly; 04-26-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL SMOKING SINNERS, ENJOY YOUR SMOKE OR YOU WILL FEEL THE RAPH OF THE GODS!! THIS GUY GOING LOCO (((((FTA O ASS)))))

Virtual private server, nahh. To me that means running a VM server, which is a bit much. If he wanted to, he can run one off the machine he's using to browse the net.

There are many ways to go about setting up your own IRC server. I always setup IRCd on my servers.

www.teamslowpitch.com RobustBrad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    Virtual private server, nahh. To me that means running a VM server, which is a bit much. If he wanted to, he can run one off the machine he's using to browse the net.

There are many ways to go about setting up your own IRC server. I always setup IRCd on my servers.

Well that's partially correct. A virtual private server can actually run native on your main box. No need to be running a virtual machine. However, when you speaking of leasing a virtual private server from a hosting company they will more likely be running may VM's on one physical server which your IRC server would reside on.

As mentioned above there are many ways of going about this. Are you concerned about uptime? Latency? If so, you may want to consider a hosted solution. Otherwise you can run the IRC server directly from your computer. If you going to host it on your own computer I would absolutely recommend hosting it from a VM therefore it does not put your main system at risk (not as much risk). If something where to go wrong you could just delete the VM and start over.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Brad
    TEAM Slow Pitch - Softball Forums
    www.teamslowpitch.com

Puffer Fish with many spikes BTcigars's Avatar

If you use Linux, you can get any old machine you might have laying around or that you can get your hands on. Do a minimum install of linux and lock it down and setup a IRC daemon (remember to allow incoming connections through the firewall) and there you have it.

This is probably the safest route you can take in the sense that this system will be separate from your main system (and it can be headless!) and linux is very secure.

If I am not mistaken, you are in the Army. Look around to see if there are any old beige boxes that are slated to be thrown away and see if you can get it. It dosent take much for linux to run. If you need any more help, just let me know.
    Be sure to check out my blog http://www.BTcigars.com

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

If you run it on your own machine you want to use a VM for many reasons. The ability to run and close the server immediately, do repairs and upgrades in a matter of minutes, ect. However, the main reason is that you don't want to rely on the security of your home computer for use as a server. If it is penetrated so is everything on your hard drive. In a VM, if they get in, they only get into the virtual machine. Almost all professional hosts now use virtualization nowadays. There is only like a 3% efficiency loss and in the event that you upgrade, you copy a VM file that is 4-5gbs onto your new computer and hit "boot". that's the transfer...

HOWEVER, setting up a server and managing it is a chore. Prepare to spend alot of time setting up your first, and running it on your own hardware is equally challenging. I would reccomend a hosted VPS for the task. For the cost of a single cigar a month you could get adequate hosting.