Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

need help with sony laptop speakers

This is a discussion on need help with sony laptop speakers within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; First of all let me say that I am an Tech idiot, so bear that in mind while trying to ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

need help with sony laptop speakers

First of all let me say that I am an Tech idiot, so bear that in mind while trying to help.

I have a sony viao laptop. I have probably had it for a year and a half or so. Heres the problem....

The speakers only work part of the time. Seems like 75% of the time they do not work. On occasions they will start working out of nowhere, and then they quit the same way. But the most popular time that they decide to work is when the computer has just been turned on, or has sat idle long enough to go into "lock" mode and then unlocked.

Any suggestion????? I am sure that there are detials that are needed that I left out. So ask any questions you have, and I will try to answer them.

Re: need help with sony laptop speakers

I'm assuming these are the built-in speakers, and not exteranl wired speakers? It could be a driver issue. What operating system do you have, I'm thinking Windows Vista. I don't have access to a Vista machine, but theses instructions should be close. Go to START, CONTROL PANEL, AUDIO DEVICE, then tab over to HARDWARE. You should be able to double click the driver and choose update. You'll need to be connected to the internet though. Or you can go to the Sony support page Sony eSupport - Computers & Peripherals - Select Your Model navigate through the model # and questions and locate "Audio" drivers, and update it that way.

This would be the first thing I would do, if it doesn't work we can try other things.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Yosysfire View Post
    I'm assuming these are the built-in speakers, and not exteranl wired speakers? It could be a driver issue. What operating system do you have, I'm thinking Windows Vista. I don't have access to a Vista machine, but theses instructions should be close. Go to START, CONTROL PANEL, AUDIO DEVICE, then tab over to HARDWARE. You should be able to double click the driver and choose update. You'll need to be connected to the internet though. Or you can go to the Sony support page Sony eSupport - Computers & Peripherals - Select Your Model navigate through the model # and questions and locate "Audio" drivers, and update it that way.

This would be the first thing I would do, if it doesn't work we can try other things.

Adam
    Awesome bro!!!! It is working after doing that. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Well damn it worked till I restarted it. Now the same thing.

Well it probably is a driver then. You can go to the sony web page and download a newer or older driver. That might be what it needs.

Well it probably is a driver then. You can go to the sony web page and download a newer or older driver. That might be what it needs.

I downloaded it from the Sony site, but still a no go. Oh well it was worth a shot. Thanks for all the help.

A little ring gauge bump for ya

We should be able to fix this. How long has this been going on? What model # Sony do you have?

Thanks for the RG.

Adam

Honestly, I don't know when it started. Just guessing 2 or 3 months.

The model numer is..

vgn-cr220e

Do you know if your headphone Jack works? One thing you can do is a System Restore. START, PROGRAMS, SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM RESTORE..it should be something like that for Vista. You'll be turning back your computer to an earlier date...a date when the speakers worked. This won't delete or remove any programs or files, it'll just put the "system" back to the way things were. If it doesn't work, you can always change it back to today. This is something to try...let me know if you want to give it a shot.

Do you know if your headphone Jack works? One thing you can do is a System Restore. START, PROGRAMS, SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM RESTORE..it should be something like that for Vista. You'll be turning back your computer to an earlier date...a date when the speakers worked. This won't delete or remove any programs or files, it'll just put the "system" back to the way things were. If it doesn't work, you can always change it back to today. This is something to try...let me know if you want to give it a shot.
    The headphone jacks only work when the speakers do.

So the system restore is totally safe correct? I just wanna be sure cause I'm not smart enough to ix anything.

Yes, the system restore is safe. You will alsoway have the option to come back to today. When you run it, it'll ask you what day to go back too, just pick one a couple months ago and see if it works. Foloow the on screen instructions. Its pretty easy.

Yes, the system restore is safe. You will alsoway have the option to come back to today. When you run it, it'll ask you what day to go back too, just pick one a couple months ago and see if it works. Foloow the on screen instructions. Its pretty easy.

I just did it, so far so good. Hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks again for the help

No problem. Let me know if there are any issues....