Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Question for College Students/Recent Grads

This is a discussion on Question for College Students/Recent Grads within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Thanks for all the info guys! We're going to orientation next week, so maybe we can get a better feel ...

Re: Question for College Students/Recent Grads

Thanks for all the info guys! We're going to orientation next week, so maybe we can get a better feel then. If he would just declare a major we could ask more specific questions!!!

Well this may put things in perspective.

I was an Aeronautical Engineering Student at a school that required ALL students to purchase a laptop. and even though all the professors knew the student had to have a laptop they never made assignments dependent on having it in class, since often enough there's multitudes of students having issues with their laptops and would be unfair to have any graded assignment dependent on having your laptop in class with you. That being said there were a couple mostly advances computer science classes, CAD, engineering design classes that would be very very difficult without bring the computer to class or labs.

there were students who had larger screens there's no problem with that but its slightly inconvenient in terms of portability, so that would be up to your son. Acer is a good company, personally I would stay away from Dell, Have never been a fan of their support or hardware. Mac would also be a slight hindrance in terms of compatibility (less so as time goes on) If it were me I would look for a 15" screen, with an i7 processor, 7200RPM HD, Keep in mind if you get something good now it should last the 4 years, but something too cheap will get too outdated and need to be updates in 2 years or so. Luckily with laptops it is possible to get state of the art hardware in the $800-1200 range.

Good luck!

"Nothing is so simple that it cannot be misunderstood." Teague's Paradox

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

I used an 8.9" netbook all through college. It was a godsend. 10 hour battery life. Weighs nothing...

But I also had a desktop back at my apartment.

College students don't carry stuff much like high school students. Any bag is just a convenience. I don't think I ever brought a book to class in my 4 years of college. I grabbed my netbook with one hand and sprinted out the door.

Maturing Puffer Fish Tubesaddict's Avatar

One of the smartest investments I made for college was buying a netbook. In case you aren't familiar with the difference between a netbook and a notebook (or laptop); a netbook is a smaller, underpowered notebook. I bought this model Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC EPC1000HE-BLK005X Fine Ebony Intel Atom N280(1.66GHz) 10.0" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook last year for $350. It weighs less than some of the books I carry, and has 9 hours of battery life. It does take some time to get used to the smaller keyboard, but the benefits outweigh the cons. As I said earlier, it is underpowered, meaning it won't run games and you will notice a small amount of time opening up applications compared to other laptops and desktops. The keyboard is also small. However, it is very portable. It is small and lightweight. This term I only have one class on campus so I only have to charge it once a week. It has been awesome for taking notes on during class. I only wish I would have gotten it sooner instead of carrying around the free IBM thinkpad I have. (rescued it from the trash, really wasn't free, I had to buy an $80 screen from ebay)

I'm an adjunct instructor and currently a grad student as well. I support the "netbook + desktop" argument that a few other members have mentioned. I use a netbook for taking notes in class, writing papers, etc. They are dirt cheap, weigh nothing, and have amazing battery life. (Mine is an Asus Eepc but newegg and tigerdirect have tons.) An inexpensive desktop with a nice big screen for back in the dorm room plus a netbook to carry around is a great solution, and might even be cheaper than a high-end laptop. (the desktop will also allow you to upgrade in a couple of years, while the netbook can simply be scrapped since its cheap.)

Let me reiterate that I LOVE LOVE LOVE a netbook for note-taking in class.

Quote Originally Posted by russ812 View Post
    I'm an adjunct instructor and currently a grad student as well. I support the "netbook + desktop" argument that a few other members have mentioned. I use a netbook for taking notes in class, writing papers, etc. They are dirt cheap, weigh nothing, and have amazing battery life. (Mine is an Asus Eepc but newegg and tigerdirect have tons.) An inexpensive desktop with a nice big screen for back in the dorm room plus a netbook to carry around is a great solution, and might even be cheaper than a high-end laptop. (the desktop will also allow you to upgrade in a couple of years, while the netbook can simply be scrapped since its cheap.)

Let me reiterate that I LOVE LOVE LOVE a netbook for note-taking in class.

Couldn't agree more... as a college student I am actually using the netbook-desktop combo + a laptop
    Why all the computers? I don't really know... comes with the computer science major I guess.

I take the netbook EVERYWHERE. Great for "note-taking".... and facebook. So light and such a long battery life. I couldn't imagine carrying my laptop to most of my classes.

The Desktop is great for long work and term papers on the computer, as well as general surfing. easier on eyes, hands, wrists.

And I rarely use my laptop. Time to sell it and buy some sticks

I want to note that if you have a netbook and haven't at least tried a linux distribution like easy peasy, you are seriously short changing yourself.

Virus Free.
    Faster.
    All applications are free.

Just alot of advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    I want to note that if you have a netbook and haven't at least tried a linux distribution like easy peasy, you are seriously short changing yourself.

Virus Free.
    Faster.
    All applications are free.

Just alot of advantages.
    Very true, netbooks + linux = WIN! (eebuntu was created to specifically work with Asus EeePC netbooks.)

but...

Most people are REALLY comfortable with a windows environment like XP, which is still great on a netbook (and fast.) Some of the newer netbooks are coming with Windows 7 home basic, and that would worry me a bit...Win 7, even basic, seems like a stretch on a netbook.

FWIW, I use XP on my netbook (with some tweaking to speed it up a bit) and I have no issues at all. Makes a great portable retro-gaming PC as well! (I rock a bunch of 90s classic FPS's and they're perfect on a netbook.)

Very true, netbooks + linux = WIN! (eebuntu was created to specifically work with Asus EeePC netbooks.)

but...

Most people are REALLY comfortable with a windows environment like XP, which is still great on a netbook (and fast.) Some of the newer netbooks are coming with Windows 7 home basic, and that would worry me a bit...Win 7, even basic, seems like a stretch on a netbook.

FWIW, I use XP on my netbook (with some tweaking to speed it up a bit) and I have no issues at all. Makes a great portable retro-gaming PC as well! (I rock a bunch of 90s classic FPS's and they're perfect on a netbook.)
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on my Asus 1000he and have no problems. There are noticable application load times, maybe about 5 seconds when opening Word. But no problems other than a little lag. Though I have seen 1application that wouldn't run on the netbooks small resolution. It was a CISSP lab simulator, it detected the screen resolution was too small and would not open.

I would be more concerned with backwards compatibility with older programs. On a netbook, you're generally going to see better performance with slightly older programs, and that might be a problem running under Win 7. (the screen resolution issues you mention are also a legitimate concern.)

Are you able to run Aero successfully with Win 7 on your netbook?

I would be more concerned with backwards compatibility with older programs. On a netbook, you're generally going to see better performance with slightly older programs, and that might be a problem running under Win 7. (the screen resolution issues you mention are also a legitimate concern.)

Are you able to run Aero successfully with Win 7 on your netbook?
    Yep, are works just fine. Really helps on that small of a screen having the title bars transparent.

Horizontal resolution on a netbook is fine. Its the vertical resolution that ssuuuuccckks.

You have 600 pixels usually, and 50 are eaten up by the start bar by default, another 25 by the window border, roughly, and another 25 or so eaten by the navigation/tab bar.

Having the start bar on the side, and using chrome so the window border and tabs are combined really helps, though.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a somewhat unique perspective on this. I do IT work for a major university.

The first thing I'd do if I was looking to buy my kid a machine would be to call his/her new school's IT Help Desk. Most universities have set deals with a major manufacturer or two. This doesn't really save you any money, but what it does is make any issues or repairs that happen for the next 4 years serviceable by the campus IT people. Drop a beer on your laptop? Drop it off at the help desk and get it back in 48 hours. Hard drive crash while you're working on your term paper? Take it to the help desk and ask for data recovery. All of that at no cost to the student.

Where I work, all the computer techs are Dell & Mac certified. So anything they fix counts as a warrantied repair/replacement.

I remember my school's "special" Dell deals were $50-$100 more than what was on Dell.com.

No longer a community member.

ill be honest, i didnt read through a lot of the posts but ill give you some advice.

you can run just as much (more, even) on a $400 windows/linux laptop than a $2000 mac. theyre specced the same.

mac's are designer computers. nothing more.

go for a 15". its big, but its not excessive. and when (when not if) he drops it, it wont have as much weight behind it when it smacks the corner.

Dont purchase anything over $500 unless you're investing in him gaming with it, you need nothing more than that, especially for school.

dont buy acer - their customer service sucks. i know a few people who have waited months without their laptop to fix a broken screen - as a student this is a death sentence.

asus, dell, lenovo, toshiba - all good brands

dont buy sony, paying for prettiness.

i could get into details (i have built 4 laptops, 19 desktops in the last 3 years) but that might bore you. just dont buy a mac, your wallet will thank you.

im posting from a $300 asus (if you buy used/refurb) it was $600 new that is faster than my friends $2500 powerbook. sucks for him.

im also on linux - windows is fine as well, most schools offer a tech service where they fix any stupid viruses your kid will get from surfing those "educational" websites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast