Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Want to get This!

This is a discussion on I Want to get This! within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Saw this today and I have to say out of so many gadgets and things out there this one makes ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

I Want to get This!

Saw this today and I have to say out of so many gadgets and things out there this one makes sense and I want one...badly! Check this out!

Disappearing Car Door
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Re: I Want to get This!

That's pretty neat.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Very cool!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" W.Wonka

Puffer Fish with many spikes dyieldin's Avatar

WOW! That is a modern marvel for sure. I bet it will cost you a lot of cigar money for that little feature.

WOW!!!

Like a gullwing door in reverse!
    I'd drive around with my doors "down" er..... "open" um....... "gone"?

Disappearing Car Doors: A Revolutionary Concept in Car Technology & Design

I love it too. Saw these a few years ago, and they still haven't taken off at all...
    This Space For Rent

anywhere but here

That is freakin cool. Thanks for sharing.

It has a major coolness factor, and would be great for show cars, but I guess my "old geezer" kicks in when I see the flaw.
    A minor fender bender could disable the battery, effectively locking you in the car with no visible means of escape - unless they have a manual release, that is.
    And there's a good reason why modern doors are still the same as that 1897 Benz: they work.

D-mn that old geezer in me...

"We all know Rolando Reyes can blend with his eyes closed, and his wrappers look like his eyes WERE closed..."

tube audio, cigars, booze ke4mcl's Avatar

modern cars use a space frame type of construction where you are essentially protected in a cage of steel. on those cars you have compromised the strength of the rocker panel.

im not an engineer but i grew up in the auto wrecking business. something about that design makes me think that in a collision the car will buckle floor up into the passenger compartment. on a t-bone you're screwed as well since the door has been made thin enough to tuck under the car hence compromising its side impact resistance. sure, this could all be done in high strength metals but the price would soar.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Love the idea but the practicality is something that obviously didn't keep up with the engineering aspect. The safety aspect I'm sure would be addressed if they ever attempted to do this but I'm sure somebody put in the cost factor and this is why we won't see this put on cars.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Holy crap! That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ke4mcl View Post
    modern cars use a space frame type of construction where you are essentially protected in a cage of steel. on those cars you have compromised the strength of the rocker panel.

im not an engineer but i grew up in the auto wrecking business. something about that design makes me think that in a collision the car will buckle floor up into the passenger compartment. on a t-bone you're screwed as well since the door has been made thin enough to tuck under the car hence compromising its side impact resistance. sure, this could all be done in high strength metals but the price would soar.
    Looks really cool, but my first thought was "man I'd hate to get t-boned in that car!". I also think with the B pillar removed, the roof might pancake in a rollover.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Aficionado82's Avatar

very cool!!

my biggest thing was thought of it during the winter. It seems to me that it would get pretty drafty.
    "Sometimes you need to stop and smell the maduros "

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I dont think this would be a very good idea in the rain. You could not get out of the car quick and shut the door. Then again what happens when the battery goes dead and you cant get in your car. Neat concept though for a sunny day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast