Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Windows 7 help needed

This is a discussion on Windows 7 help needed within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I am running a copy of 7 & after about 5 months of everything going fine, now my background is ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ARCHAIC's Avatar

Windows 7 help needed

I am running a copy of 7 & after about 5 months of everything going fine, now my background is black & whenever I change it then restart my comp it goes back to black. Also every hour or so a window pops up to inform me that windows is not genuine & to go online & get genuine. Other than that it still works fine. I know that the pop up window is not a virus, so that would not be the problem. Any ideas?
    No, i will not tell you how much my stash is worh or how much i spend on cigars!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Aficionado82's Avatar

Re: Windows 7 help needed

Sounds like your copy on Windows is not genuine. If you recently updated windows, and the copy you are running is not legit, it has been detected and some features get turned off in order to annoy you to the point where you go out and get a legit copy.
    Last edited by Aficionado82; 07-07-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aficionado82 View Post
    Sounds like your copy on Windows is not genuine. If you recently updated windows, and the copy you are running in not legit, it has been detected and some features get turned off in order to annoy you to the point where you go out and get a legit copy.
    It is not genuine, nothing bad shuld happen tho, right? As long as it stays annoying as is I am ok with that.
    No, i will not tell you how much my stash is worh or how much i spend on cigars!

I have been running a non legit version of XP for a few years now. No issues yet except for the lack of background.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    It is not genuine, nothing bad shuld happen tho, right? As long as it stays annoying as is I am ok with that.
    You might lose some other features besides your ability to change wallpaper, but other than that It's not going to ruin your computer or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Aficionado82 View Post
    You might lose some other features besides your ability to change wallpaper, but other than that It's not going to ruin your computer or anything.
    Any clue what features may be lost?

Thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    Any clue what features may be lost?

Thanks for the info!!
    You lose the ability to update windows. You've already noticed the black wallpaper and the annoying pop-up windows. Everything else will still be functional.

sweet, for the price I can deasl with that!! Thanks a ton

Glad I could be of help

Your biggest issue will be malware. With no windows updates your machine will be constantly compromised. Be sure other computers on your home network are legit so they can get updates. As for the Windows 7 machine, download and run Malware Bytes. It`s free. Just do a Google search and you will be able to find it. I use it for my corporate environment and so far it has worked well.
    If 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty, you suddenly visualize that I`m looking over your shoulders and say to yourself: "Sean would not have liked this," well that would be enough immortality for me.

Download and run a program called RemoveWAT. It'll remove those annoying popups, let you update, and make your copy of Win7 behave as if it were genuine. Have fun! (: