Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Comcast broadband Question?

This is a discussion on Comcast broadband Question? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hey guys, I'm trying to help my Dad with something, right now he has an old wireless acesspoint hooked to ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Wild 7EVEN's Avatar

Comcast broadband Question?

Hey guys, I'm trying to help my Dad with something, right now he has an old wireless acesspoint hooked to his cable modem, but he ran a wires using the ports in the back and hasn't used the wireless in a long time.

So if this acess point were replaced with non-wireless equipment, should he use a switch, or a router?

I was thinking that a switch should work fine, but I'm not 100% sure.

I spent hours on the comcast site, but it was totally useless, hell even the link to download the networking user guide kept taking me back to the homepage.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Aficionado82's Avatar

Re: Comcast broadband Question?

Does he want to use wireless again in the future? If so, he should go with the router. If wireless isn't something he wants, a switch will be fine.

Full grown Puffer Fish Wild 7EVEN's Avatar

Ok he called me today and he bought a new router, so now all I have to do is talk him through the setup.

He told me he didn't want the wireless anymore, so I think he got just a regular router. But the difference in price between that and a switch wasn't that much anyway.

Thanks!!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Aficionado82's Avatar

Even if he got a wireless router he can set it up and never use the wireless.

Puffer Fish with many spikes kRaZe15's Avatar

a router either with wireless or not is always nice because of the built in firewall. if you happen to buy a wireless you can always hide the ssid or disable it and use as a hard line router then opt for the wireless if you ever wanted to. a wireless would have also enabled him to have it set up so when someone comes to visit they have an easy way to connect without the hassle of a wire. the speeds hard line vs wireless will almost always be faster. another tip is browse around there have been a few people who have said they went on a comcast website and had a wireless n router shipped to them for free. with a non-wireless router all you dad has to do is reset the modem and plug the router in after the modem comes back up. good luck ...

erik

p.s. if your dad is not on a promo play hard ball with customer service and tell them you would like to cancel services unless there is a way to lower the price like a promo, just don't let them talk you into upgrading unless it's cheaper.
    cigars are like woman, some are fine and some are a little rough around the edges, but each will be enjoyed by someone.