Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

wifi problems- any idea or help?

This is a discussion on wifi problems- any idea or help? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Ok so last night everything was working fine with my wifi setup. i shut down my computer, went to bed ...

wifi problems- any idea or help?

Ok so last night everything was working fine with my wifi setup. i shut down my computer, went to bed and woke up. turned the computer on and now im not picking up my home wifi signal. i get a few neighbors signals but they are weak. so i came into the living room, and unplugged the wire the wii was on directly into my computer and i pick up my home network. just no wifi signal.

my setup-

my cable modem plugs into my wireless router(netgear) from there i have my ps3 and wii hardwired from the ports on the back of the router. the only thing i use wifi for is my computer.

i called geeksquad, and they said if the router was bad i wouldnt be able to get even a wired signal from it.(i am not sure though)

anyone know a reason im not picking up the wifi signal? Im not computer smart, so i figured id ask.

ps-i have done nothing to my setup- the wifi switch on my computer is on, and i havent changed anything since initially setting up my wireless router.
    "If smoking is not allowed in heaven, I shall not go." Mark Twain
    My Tarantulas and other stuff go - here

No longer a community member.

Re: wifi problems- any idea or help?

Did you try un plugging both for a minute or so and see if it resets, That's about all I ever have to do!

yeah, when i was on the phone with geeksquad thats what we did.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by codykrr View Post
    yeah, when i was on the phone with geeksquad thats what we did.

Without being there not much else I can think of, I am lucky to have a couple of great friends that are geeky but cool. did you have them install for you if so is it still under warranty if so tell them to fix it. Sorry I can't help!

US Air Force, Retired jimrockford's Avatar

The Geek Squad is wrong. The WiFi portion of your router could be out and the wired portion could still work. You might also have a problem with the router's antenna that would cause poor signal strength and not affect anything else.

I would first check to make sure nothing is interfering with the signal. Download InSSIDer on your wired connection and run that. Scan for networks using the same wireless channel you're using and switch to one that's free. You'll have to connect to your router's IP address using a web browser to do that. If you need help, let me know.

If that doesn't do the trick, look for other wireless devices that might interfere. Those could be wireless phones (although they may be on a different frequency) or microwave ovens (but they'll only cause a problem while running). Unplug anything you think might be causing a problem.

If none of that fixes the issue, I'd suspect a bad router, assuming the wireless card in your computer is working properly. You can test that at Starbucks or any place that has a wireless network. You don't even need to connect; just check signal strength.

Also, I've had a couple of NetGear routers that ran really hot and eventually gave out. Home routers aren't built to last forever and they do go bad.

that is the thing, the router is 6 months old. i bought it back in febuary 2010.... i am picking up other peoples signal from around my neighborhood, so id assume my computer is fine. I unplugged the modem, and router, and it briefly picked up my home signal, then dropped it.

the router i have has no antenna its a netgear wireless n 300 router

NETGEAR - Wireless-N Router - WNR2000-100NAS

The problem you're describing is similar to some reviews I just read at CNet. It seems people either love it or hate it because the wireless doesn't work correctly.

Did you try InSIDDer? If nothing else, you'll be able to see almost instantly whether the router is putting out good signal strength. Your router should show up as a much taller curve than your neighbors unless you live in an apartment and are closer to their router than your own. That's also a good reason to make sure you're on a different channel.

Well, I am not sure how, but it started working again. Yesterday, I went to the neighbors house(she has two sons who are computer smart) and asked if maybe they had accidentally gotten onto my wifi and changed something. They said no, so I asked her oldest boy to bring his Iphone to see if he was picking up my signal. sure enough he did, so i gave him my password, and he connected, as soon as he connected i started picking up my home network again.

I dont know what happened or why...But it is back!

Any Idea why him connecting to it made my computer pick the signal up?

I don't see how having your neighbor connect could cause it to start working. The fact that he was able to connect indicates it was already working. Were you closer to the router when you connected than you normally would be?

Without running InSSIDer or another application that can show signal strength and other networks in the area, it'll be difficult to determine what's going on.

Puffer Fish with many spikes kRaZe15's Avatar

have you logged onto your router's ip and check to see if you are broadcasting the ssid and while you are there you should also change the broadcast channel to channel 6. good luck...
    cigars are like woman, some are fine and some are a little rough around the edges, but each will be enjoyed by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by kRaZe15 View Post
    have you logged onto your router's ip and check to see if you are broadcasting the ssid and while you are there you should also change the broadcast channel to channel 6. good luck...
    That's a very good point. Definitely check to see that the SSID is being broadcast.

However, a few notes about changing the wireless channel... There are 11 channels to choose from (in the US). These channels are separated in frequency by 5Mhz but the signals themselves are actually much wider (up to 25Mhz). This means that a wireless network on channel 6 overlaps with (and can interfere with) networks on channels 4, 5, 7 and 8. Although, channels 5 and 7 will be affected more than 4 and 8.

Channel 6 is generally the default channel used by 802.11g routers. This is because it doesn't overlap with channels 1 and 11. As a result, 3 wireless networks can be set up in close proximity without interfering with each other; one each on channels 1, 6, and 11. Unfortunately, since the default is channel 6, and most people just leave it as is, you can wind up with several networks in a small area on the same frequency and talking all over each other.

This is a very common problem. People complain that their wireless network hardly works at all and blames it on faulty hardware, when really they just need to change the channel. Rather than just changing it to channel 6, though, it's a better idea to choose a channel as far away from competing networks as possible. This is where InSSIDer comes in handy. It shows you the networks broadcasting in your area, their signal levels, and what channels they are using. Armed with this information, you can easily choose the best channel for your particular area.

I suspect the router being bad, but I'll throw this out there anyway... depending on your operating system, if a change was made to your wireless purposely or inadvertently, your computer may no longer recognize that signal. This could be a change in the broadcast name, adding or removing a security encryption. My neighbor had the same problems when they added a WPA encryption to their network, although they were running Windows Vista (which could have been the source of the problem) good luck.

Easier without the hat. Bigtotoro's Avatar

Sounds to me like your neighbor boy made a settings change in the WPA password and changed it back.

I have no use for RG.