Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

MS Access - Designers

This is a discussion on MS Access - Designers within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm curious if any forum members design databases in Microsoft Access? I have no formal training in programing but my ...

Question MS Access - Designers

I'm curious if any forum members design databases in Microsoft Access? I have no formal training in programing but my position at work has me managing data and projects that require a lot of interaction between IT and end-users. Consequently I've ended up teaching myself a lot about database theory and programming.

Its kind of fun to create applications and figure out how to make things work behind the scenes.

Puffer Fish with some spikes StratSlinger's Avatar

Re: MS Access - Designers

I haven't done a ton of development for a while now, but I have done some significant development with access in the past. Might go a bit over your head, but the last major project I did was an IT inventory database. The development included lots of tables, queries, reports, and stuff. But beyond that was a lot of scripting that ran on all our managed pc's to collect hardware and software info, and then tools to import that info into the access database.

Pretty crazy stuff, but there's definitely some masochistic fun in figuring out how to make it all fit together and work as a whole.

I just started playing around with a humidor inventory program that has a few things to be desired, and its actually making me think about dusting off some of the old access skills.

d32

yup software developer. access/mysql with php & vb6 mostly.

When i was learning it i was like what the h@^^ am i gonna use databases for..until i started using them lol. They are an amazing way to store data (and find it again) I have personal databases for tons of stuff from news clips, book citations, quotes, programming code, backup disk contents, and the contents of my sock drawer.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

I used to toy with PHP & MySQL as a hobby. Building simple little web interfaces that store and retrieve data. Used Access in a class and found it disappointing in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    Used Access in a class and found it disappointing in comparison.
    Agreed.

I would recommend using Microsoft SQL Server Express to store your data. From there, you can use Excel or other applications to manipulate your data. There's a lot to learn up front, but definitely a good tool to have.

d32

Sql server express doesnt have any GUI tools for creating the db and tables though does it? or maybe the current VS express has the tools built in? when MSDE came out I was pshyched but then it was to much to setup compared to what mysql had available at the time.

Puffer Fish with some spikes StratSlinger's Avatar

The nice thing about Access is that it provides a relatively-easy-to-learn tool for the creation of all the components of a database (tables, queries, simple reports, etc), plus an easy to use tool for slapping a GUI front-end onto the database.

You can do it all without ever writing a SELECT statement or a line of code, which is nice for folks who don't have that kind of expertise.

That said, SQL/Php (or something similar for the front end programming) is WAY more powerful and efficient and will play much more nicely with multiple simultaneous users of the same database.

Quote Originally Posted by d32 View Post
    Sql server express doesnt have any GUI tools for creating the db and tables though does it? or maybe the current VS express has the tools built in? when MSDE came out I was pshyched but then it was to much to setup compared to what mysql had available at the time.
    I believe you'll need the Sql Server Management Studio Express for the GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by TunaGod06 View Post
    Agreed.

I would recommend using Microsoft SQL Server Express to store your data. From there, you can use Excel or other applications to manipulate your data. There's a lot to learn up front, but definitely a good tool to have.
    Yep, I've moved to using SQL databases as the back ends to most of my Access applications. More stable and it avoids the Access record limit.

Its great to hear of other people using Access. I hear so many IT people trash it all the time.

d32

the thing i love about access is its all self contained, just transfer or back up the file and you are good to go. plus it really is a slick tool with all the ide and scripting capabilities built right into the ide. no need to install other dependancies or configure it just so. If i dont need the data to be accessible to other machines like through a web app, access is my first choice.