Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I hate my new netbook

This is a discussion on I hate my new netbook within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I went out and got a net book. I hate it. It's to small. It was way over priced for ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes DFisk's Avatar

I hate my new netbook

I went out and got a net book. I hate it. It's to small. It was way over priced for what it is.but it is fully loaded and is better than some full size laptops. Why did they design these damn things? If it wouldn't cost me so much to restock it it would go back.

Re: I hate my new netbook

My buddy got his girl one for Christmas and she got a nasty virus on it. I tried to do the most I could to restore it to normal. One thing that gets me is there is no disk drive on it. So you got to connect it to another computer to do that type of maintence to it. I'd like a laptop at times...... but then again, Im always dropping things.

that kinda sucks, i hope you have a real mouse and keyboard toa tach to the thing to make it a bit more tolerable

Puffer Fish with some spikes DFisk's Avatar

I thought it would be cool to have. My room mate has a 17" laptop it weighs a ton. I miss it already. This 11" thing doesn't cut it.

Ya, I feel your pain...
    I was interested too until I tried a friends for a half hour.

Man did it suck trying to use it... it's really to bad though, they could have been the BOMB!!

Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

I never like those mini laptops. They suck and are over-priced. Never designed well for a tech to work on in the field.

@OP Sad to hear that. I bought a netbook in the spring with my tax return cash, and I love it.

I looked around to figure out what to expect from it, and what I wanted from it, and got the newest (at the time) processor, and made sure it was a matte screen, and ended up with the EEE PC. It's got 11+ hrs of battery life with the stock batteries. 10.something inch screen.

I miss the scroll-wheel function, but I can bring it into the garage, out in the yard, or into the kitchen and use it as a shop-manual, e-book reader (with EEE rotate) or cook-book, or even stereo.

I have a beefier computer (crammed into a micro tower, BTW) in my basement office, and use that for the heavy lifting - video editing, media storage, newsletter publishing, etc, but with VNC, I can check progress of longer task from wherever via the netbook.

Sharing the DVD drive on the beefy-PC, I don't even miss the optical drive. With daemon tools, and can mount an image if I need it dedicated.

I use google chrome as the browser for it's light-weight netbook-friendliness. I also use portable apps to keep the footprint down.

I didn't replace my desktop with it, I supplemented it.

Thou Shall Not Doubt Me MoreBeer's Avatar

I'm considering one of the new Apple MacBook Air's. Super thin, light, long battery life, great display, fast and can boot almost instantly due to no hard drive. Uses monstrous flash memory. I'm probably getting the 11" 128 GB model. $1,100 I think. Expensive but nice.

Apple - MacBook Air - The next generation of MacBooks.
    "I'll Buy That For A Dollar"

I'm thinking of one of those too

13" though...

lemme know what ya think ok?

Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Puffer Fish with some spikes Surfer24's Avatar

Ill stick with my 9 pound, 18.4" widescreen beast of a laptop

The easiest time to add insult to injury is when you're signing somebody's cast.

Scotch & Cigars

I almost bought a net book but then my job came through with an iPad as a thank you gift, at first I was like ehh I'll give it a try but now I love this thing.

Puff Puffer Puffiest bnbtobacco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    I'm considering one of the new Apple MacBook Air's. Super thin, light, long battery life, great display, fast and can boot almost instantly due to no hard drive. Uses monstrous flash memory. I'm probably getting the 11" 128 GB model. $1,100 I think. Expensive but nice.

Apple - MacBook Air - The next generation of MacBooks.

At that price? I'd be TOO afraid to even open it. It looks sooooo damn thin, I'd probably decide to just stop being my clumsy self if I ever end up owning one ...umm but no thanks, I'll stick to my good old desktop LOL

tube audio, cigars, booze ke4mcl's Avatar

i own two netbooks and love them. a dell mini 9 is my daily driver, an asus eeepc is currently streaming cuban music on a web station.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

I adore my netbook, but now they have so many new low powered processors these atom ones are outdated. ULVs, i3, Neo Dual core, Atom Dual Core, double the speed for roughly the same power consumption.

I want an Acer Timeline. I3 Cpu, slightly bigger than a netbook, and 8 hours of battery life. $600 price tag is all that's stopping me.

Young Puffer Fish

Not only that. They are usually very slow and tend to hang a lot. The Intel Atom processors aren't that great in my opinion. I would usually tell people to avoid these, even if you're just using them for simple text processing work or web surfing. They don't really handle even the simple tasks very well.

Best to go with the ultrabooks these days, or switch to the MacBook Air if your wallet can handle the relatively higher price. I use the old Sony VAIO with Transmeta Crusoe for mobile computing. Performs much better than netbooks, anytime!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast