Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

The Downside Of Technology?

This is a discussion on The Downside Of Technology? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; ...

Thou Shall Not Doubt Me MoreBeer's Avatar

Lightbulb The Downside Of Technology?

Lately within an economy that remains somewhat weak with challenged employment, most publicly traded companies have reported solid earnings and have guided profit forecasts somewhat higher….especially the technology sector. This phenomena is out of sync with what’s occurring on main street and on a global basis.

Its not as though the consumer is banging down the doors to spend…is it? Businesses aren’t suddenly bleeding their wallets to increase capital expenditures…are they? Could it be banks lending again with wreckless abandon? No, I think not. Is it possible that technology is getting to the level where enterprises can do more with fewer warm bodies collecting a paycheck thus boosting their bottom line? Yes…could be! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Although not an absolute, it is having an impact and is never discussed or even pondered within mainstream media. Face facts…where we once had an army of welders at an automobile plant, we now have several fast robots. At offices that once required a team of clerks and assistants, we now have wicked computers doing all that filing, sorting, billing and such. I could go on and on but I think you get the drift.

Mind boggling advances in technology have been taking place while the population of the USA has exploded over the past 30 years from 225 million to 305 million and these numbers don’t account for the millions of people in the country illegally. So it stands to reason that if technology is allowing many tasks to be completed with 10 people that once required 50, and all during the time population has increased and manufacturing has decreased, we’ll eventually get to the point where jobs, (at least worthwhile employment) can prove difficult to secure. Yes, a theory albeit a good one.

The next 10 years will be interesting unless we can all figure out a way to make a living texting one another.

And that's the way I see it.
    "I'll Buy That For A Dollar"

JGD

Re: The Downside Of Technology?

Haha, dude, you need a blog.

Time for Snake Plisken to push the switch (vague movie reference)

Young Puffer Fish

We lose the opportunity to smell the flowers and enjoy more of nature, like how we used to some 30 years ago before the advent of satellite TV, computers, and mobile phones in popular use! Oh how I missed those days...but seems technology is a necessary evil to manage life more efficiently. I guess it's all in striking a balance, huh...

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    Lately within an economy that remains somewhat weak with challenged employment, most publicly traded companies have reported solid earnings and have guided profit forecasts somewhat higher….especially the technology sector. This phenomena is out of sync with what’s occurring on main street and on a global basis.

Its not as though the consumer is banging down the doors to spend…is it? Businesses aren’t suddenly bleeding their wallets to increase capital expenditures…are they? Could it be banks lending again with wreckless abandon? No, I think not. Is it possible that technology is getting to the level where enterprises can do more with fewer warm bodies collecting a paycheck thus boosting their bottom line? Yes…could be! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Although not an absolute, it is having an impact and is never discussed or even pondered within mainstream media. Face facts…where we once had an army of welders at an automobile plant, we now have several fast robots. At offices that once required a team of clerks and assistants, we now have wicked computers doing all that filing, sorting, billing and such. I could go on and on but I think you get the drift.

Mind boggling advances in technology have been taking place while the population of the USA has exploded over the past 30 years from 225 million to 305 million and these numbers don’t account for the millions of people in the country illegally. So it stands to reason that if technology is allowing many tasks to be completed with 10 people that once required 50, and all during the time population has increased and manufacturing has decreased, we’ll eventually get to the point where jobs, (at least worthwhile employment) can prove difficult to secure. Yes, a theory albeit a good one.

The next 10 years will be interesting unless we can all figure out a way to make a living texting one another.

And that's the way I see it.

Some good points. I always considered advances in technology bittersweet.

I no longer need to read a map to navigate across the country, but does anyone younger than 25 know how to read a map?

Quote Originally Posted by akaAtomix View Post
    Some good points. I always considered advances in technology bittersweet.

I no longer need to read a map to navigate across the country, but does anyone younger than 25 know how to read a map?
    See those are the type of examples that I think are a good thing. As humans we are nostalgic people, so we like to remember how we did things "back in our day." However, the main purpose of technology is to make things easier, and while it's good to know some "old school" tasks as a backup, we will continue to evolve and try and make our lives as easy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
    See those are the type of examples that I think are a good thing. As humans we are nostalgic people, so we like to remember how we did things "back in our day." However, the main purpose of technology is to make things easier, and while it's good to know some "old school" tasks as a backup, we will continue to evolve and try and make our lives as easy as possible.
    I remember reading a study a few years ago that made a very convincing argument. The author claimed that our standard of living has actually decreased since the 1940's. While we have a mind boggling array of modern, technological conveniences to make our lives easier, we actually work longer hours in order to pay for them. The last "modern convenience" that actually made our lives significantly easier without an undue financial strain was the refrigerator.
    “ I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. ”— Kenneth Clark

Puffer Fish with some spikes Cremeika's Avatar

There's also the issues with technology freeing up more of our time doing work related tasks which in turn causes companies to increase the number of expected tasks to be completed in a day which cause a cyclical effect of using technology to make things easier and quicker only to increase work load amounts.

But I wouldn't trade my iPhone for public telephones anytime soon.
    No matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature!

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
    The greater philosophical question in my opinion is whether or not making our lives "easier" is truly an admirable pursuit. While never marketed as such one could easily argue that it can borderline (and even cross-over) into pure laziness and hedonism. Of course whether that is a bad thing or not is up to individuals to decide.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Technology is good in that it keeps me employed and my company stock options are through the roof.
    One counterpoint to the OP is that financial institutions are spending like crazy now compared to the severe penny pinching from a few years ago. Most of my work is with major financial institutions in their massive data centers.

One aspect of technology that I dont like is its effect on developing brains. Most kids dont know what its like to occupy their time with something other than games, cell phones and televisions. Mine dont have cellphones, my policy is cell phones are for people who have jobs and can pay the bill. I find it disturbing to see two kids sit next to each other texting instead of having a conversation with their god given talent of speech. There are no game consoles in my house and the TVs in my kids rooms have no cable connection, they are only allowed pre approved movies to watch at bed time. I keep them so busy with sports and scouting that they dont have time for TV and any other time. The programming, even on the family channels, is pure trash. I have enjoyed watching your daughters on toddlers and tiaras and look forward to seeing them on 16 and pregnant!

"we’ll eventually get to the point where jobs, (at least worthwhile employment) can prove difficult to secure."

Several things have happened for companies to generate more profits. Outsourcing to outside the country to tap into a cheap labor market has been huge. Also, companies have let people go and reduced their labor costs and increased the work load on remaining employees. Fewer people doing the same job. Automation in factories also reduces labor costs and health care costs as well.

Unfortunately this has created a situation where only the higher ups and share holders can benefit from these reductions in jobs. The rich are getting richer and we are losing the middle class. The gap between the rich and the poor is the largest in out history. The ramifications from this are wide spread and NOT a good thing. Companies are giving the consumers less money to spend on their products. They are slowly killing their customers. Not a good thing.