Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Computer Recommendations

This is a discussion on Computer Recommendations within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hello Everyone, I hope you enjoyed your thanksgiving weekend. I've got a question to ask. My computer recently crashed (using ...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Computer Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I hope you enjoyed your thanksgiving weekend. I've got a question to ask. My computer recently crashed (using fiancee's). I'm looking to buy another, but not sure of what to get. I'm looking for the following in a computer:

1. 4GB Memory
    2. 500GB Hard drive
    3. Keyboard w/ numbers on side

So far on Best Buy, I've been interested in these:

Sony
    Sony - VAIO Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.5" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Brown - VPCEB3TFX/T

Samsung
    Samsung - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Black/Red - R580-JBB2

Toshiba
    Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 16" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Slate - A665-S6086

Also, any opinions on Windows 7 Pro vs. Home Premium are welcome.

Thanks again for your time and input!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Computer Recommendations

Love my Sony Vaio laptop!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

BHS

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I hope you enjoyed your thanksgiving weekend. I've got a question to ask. My computer recently crashed (using fiancee's). I'm looking to buy another, but not sure of what to get. I'm looking for the following in a computer:

1. 4GB Memory
    2. 500GB Hard drive
    3. Keyboard w/ numbers on side

So far on Best Buy, I've been interested in these:

Sony
    Sony - VAIO Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.5" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Brown - VPCEB3TFX/T

Samsung
    Samsung - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Black/Red - R580-JBB2

Toshiba
    Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 16" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Slate - A665-S6086

Also, any opinions on Windows 7 Pro vs. Home Premium are welcome.

Thanks again for your time and input!
    I would probably choose Sammy over Sony 9 out of 10 times on a comparable product and you're basically splitting hairs with these models. I would default to the Sammy. You may want to at least compare these out on Amazon, TigerDirect and Newegg and potentially save even more $$$.

I have an older Toshiba Satellite, and it's been great for the past 4 years. The Toshiba you're looking at has a bigger screen and a bigger battery.

Toshiba gets my vote.

im a Toshiba fan, have found them to be reliable. them and Dell. Really im a desktop guy, Firedawg is an expert on laptops, you might want to ask him. windows 7 ultimate rocks, best thing out since D.O.S. lol

I got a Compaq (HP) from Office Depot a few months ago with the same specs as you are looking at for <$300.
    No monitor, basic programs, excellent building computer. Haven't had a lick of problems yet out of it!

Thou Shall Not Doubt Me MoreBeer's Avatar

Once you go Mac, you never go back. Been using them since 1988.
    "I'll Buy That For A Dollar"

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    Everyone says that my ex - Wife and several friends have them. For me they are like non Cuban cigars or double action semi auto pistols. I have no use for them and i just don't get it.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

JGD

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    Completely agree. Ya gotta love never having to worry about viruses.

BHS

Quote Originally Posted by JGD View Post
    Completely agree. Ya gotta love never having to worry about viruses.
    Not 100% true but for the most part compared to Windows, MACs are less readily exploited. Windows 7 is incredibly reliable though. I haven't had a virus in years and I use a Windows computer all day everyday....

http://www.neowin.net/news/a-history...ses-on-the-mac

Knowing about what to do and not to do and also where not to go is paramount to not getting them.

Avast is an excellent free AV program. Don't waste money on buying AV whatever you do!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Tarks's Avatar

I would stick with Dell or HP. Many of my friends in the computer industry swear by these 2 brands.

I just picked up this Dell.

Inspiron 15R Laptop Details | Dell

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Tarks View Post
    I would stick with Dell or HP. Many of my friends in the computer industry swear by these 2 brands.

I just picked up this Dell.

Inspiron 15R Laptop Details | Dell

It's funny you brought that up. My fiance told me about this deal. I decided to buy one. It's coming in Friday,Hooray for me!!!

Another vote for Mac. I think the analogy works the other way around... They are like the Cubans... Less of them...More expensive... but worth it... :-)

Best,

Ben

I like the toshibas the most lately since if anything ever does go wrong parts are aways available and cheap. The Sonys are great laptops but more expensive to fix. Honestly all laptops nowdays are decent since almost all the parts are from the same outside vendors. The lcds are all samsung or lg and the HDD are from Hiatachi. Just get the one you like and dont get the best buy upgrades since the will always hose you. Any questions just pm me.

Their has not been a laptop I havent been able to fix yet!
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Tarks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
    It's funny you brought that up. My fiance told me about this deal. I decided to buy one. It's coming in Friday,Hooray for me!!!
    Nice! It is a great machine for the $, Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast