Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Backdoor Trojan in Chrome

This is a discussion on Backdoor Trojan in Chrome within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; OkOKOKOKOK.....I know what it sounds like...Tried to open Google Chrome this AM and got hit with a huge warning and ...

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

Backdoor Trojan in Chrome

OkOKOKOKOK.....I know what it sounds like...Tried to open Google Chrome this AM and got hit with a huge warning and my anti-virus has locked away my Google Chrome. Which is kind of a shame as it's been the only one of the 3 performing halfway decently of late.

Anyone else have problems? suggestions of fixes? Can I just download and re-install or will that just re-activate the Trojan??

Appreciate any help!

Rod

There are no sane human beings

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Re: Backdoor Trojan in Chrome

It's already on your hard drive...you're going to have to do a clean sweep of adware/spyware etc. My advice is to get a good program and sweep your hard drive once a week. I visit quite a few sites and sweep mine almost every other day and my laptop is 5 years old...it just keeps humming along. Be good to it and it will be good to you.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Thanks Gary, I run my anti-virus every morning, but not in safe mode, someone on another forum suggested I do that, so I will...Shit! I thought I was being careful!

I've got AVG's paid anti-virus on this machine any suggestions for a better choice?

...also...

can one connect to the Internet in safe mode and run the Microsoft scan? or something similar?

Try running malwarebytes.org This is a great program for removing most malicious ware.

Run in safemode network available option to update it than restart and run in safemode only.

AVG is average but not that good. http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...ro_nov2010.pdf

Use Avira if you can it is one of the best! I run my own pc repair business( Onsite Computer Repair Service, Grand Rapids, Comstock Park, Rockford, Wyoming, Jenison, Grandville,Ada ) and it is what I use. Yes others might say oh use this or this but Avira is one of the best and trustworthy. Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir for the free version and premium is also very good. (try the free version for a bit first to see if you like it.)
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Also make sure you remove avg before installing avira
    Edgar Allan Poe

Firedog is right...AVG is ok but understand malware/trojans get pretty sophisticated every few months. Hackers continue to look for ways to get into your computers and are relentless at looking for ways to do this. We have a desktop and two laptops and it's always a chore to keep up all 3 to ensure they are working efficiently without worrying about viruses.

I might just get a cheapo laptop and use it for Internet stuff only and scrub it clean every 6 months with the discs they come with....the same discs that bring it back to the first day you bought it...this is pretty much the most effective way of killing all viruses and malware...just start over.

Quote Originally Posted by gjcab09 View Post
    OkOKOKOKOK.....I know what it sounds like...Tried to open Google Chrome this AM and got hit with a huge warning and my anti-virus has locked away my Google Chrome. Which is kind of a shame as it's been the only one of the 3 performing halfway decently of late.

Anyone else have problems? suggestions of fixes? Can I just download and re-install or will that just re-activate the Trojan??

Appreciate any help!

Rod
    Sorry for your troubles BUTT you may have tried to use different verbage

Thanks Firedog, I'll look into the Avira...my brains fried after a day of scanning and fretting about this...here's what I found so far...wrote it before reading your post:

"OK…so I was in the middle of my typical morning scan when I shut it down to run in safe mode. My morning scan found this: “"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{6438C6E0-54C0-42B7-8E42-6CB837533E3F}\RP989\A0160586.exe";"Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic13.YYE";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Which , I think is telling me that it was in a restore point, and that it’s been isolated.

This is the thing that killed my Chrome: "Infection";"Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic13.YYE";"C:\Documents and Settings\***********\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe";"";"12/24/2010, 68:47 AM"

My safe mode scan revealed nothing further.

I’m thinking the best plan of action would be to clear my restore points and my virus vault. Possibly uninstall Chrome, if I even have that capability anymore since AVG isolated it and the links are broken, then try to re-install Chrome (because I really miss it! I’m a little worried about setting the little bastard loose by putting Chrome back in…but my thinking tells me that if I remove the infection first via AVG I should be OK…but then again, my best thinking doesn’t always work out the way it should.

Maybe I should download and install the free Microsoft virus scan and run it in safe mode just for good measure? I’ve heard that it’s decent for a free program.

Shit, Johnny, I don’t know …(pardon the colloquialism)

At least I think it’s isolated. "

But I'm not 100% sure that my AVG found everything you know?

I agree that your suggestion would be the most effective, Gary...just have so much stuff on this machine that it has to kinda be the last resort..."I don' wanna...I don' wanna...I don' wanna...I don' wanna..."

LOL Rob!

Also make sure you remove the restore files.

Delete System Restore files.

Otherwise it will keep coming back. This link is for winxp if you have a different OS google
    "remove restore files (your operating system win7, vista)"
    Edgar Allan Poe

Never had a problem with Chrome its my browser of choice. I run ESET a/v only time i had a problem was when my a/v did not update ...once infected best to reformat and start over.....sorry
    Boycotting Dr. Pepper cause they killed Dublin Dr.Pepper

No longer a community member.

I'm not a geek and use to always have problems until a geek friend told me to get Kapersky and I haven't had a problem since many years ago! It does it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post

Otherwise it will keep coming back. This link is for winxp if you have a different OS google
    Ditto this...I do this weekly as I visit a lot of sites and with my settings and anti virus I don't have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post

I've gone with the Avira premium and also run the Malwarebytes, both before and after deleting my restore files...man, they came up with a lot of junk but now my machine is working reasonably well and running Chrome and Firefox without many issues. I really should reformat, but don't want the hassle...

Thanks for everyone's help with this!