Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Your "Best" Defense From Windows Viruses

This is a discussion on Your "Best" Defense From Windows Viruses within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Install malwarebytes run every once in a while don't download weird stuff = profit or you know.. use linux....

No longer a community member.

Re: Your "Best" Defense From Windows Viruses

Install malwarebytes

run every once in a while

don't download weird stuff

= profit

or you know.. use linux.

Reindeer Goatcheese Pizza fireface's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    or you know.. use linux.
    Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased—thus do we refute entropy.
    --Mike Callahan

since someone asked me to back up my statement im going to do that. Keep in mind there is no ill intent here, im just stating facts. this is my job, i have been in IT for 10 years and have had a computer since i could talk.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    Not really. Unfortunate although popular, many like to get free things to download such as music and software. The most violent of viruses emerge from these sources. In fact, although illegal to distribute a virus, many large corporations do exactly that and plant damaging files masquerading to be their software. Music companies regularly infect popular tracks with nasty code and upload them everywhere.
    Currently, there are NO known attack vectors that would effect an mp3 file. there are no known detections of actual mp3 files containing malicious code. A few yeard ago there was ID3 tag exploit that "could" potentially be exploited, but it was ONLY when playing that mp3 in a specific, outdated version of winamp ONLY. Now, when you talk about downloading them from someplace like limewire (defunct) or frostwire, yes its possible you think you are downloading a song when in fact you are downloading something else. again, this goes back to smart browsing.

The claim that record companies seed malware is just plain crazy. It is 100% illegal and you bet that if someone found a record label seeing malicious code they would be sued faster than can you can say RIAA. Now what they do engage in is seeding garbage MP3 files. For example, they may seed an mp3 with a newly released or popular name, however the song may be about 10 seconds long and the rest is just noise. They will seed it out so that people share it, and pretty soon its really hard to find the file. That's what they do, they do not and quite frankly cannot seed you malicious files.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, be VERY careful with any file compressed using Win-Rar as opposed to other compression methods such as .zip or .sit. The reason Win-Rar (.rar) is used is that its easy to conceal damaging code within .rar compression. The file could be the mother of all viruses yet right-clicking the compressed file and allowing your anti-virus software to scan it often results in a clean file report.
    This is just blatantly wrong. People who are on the file sharing scene don't use winrar because its easy to hide malicious code, they use it because it has much higher compression ratios than zip, and can be split equally into parts. The splitting came in handy during the low bandwidth days because you could download some parts at time, disconnect and come back and download the rest at a later time without getting confused. This is going away now, most torrent sites dont require files to rar'd any lonfer. rar files can be scanned by any good virus scanner (mcafee is not good, and neither is norton symantec, ill go back to this later). They are no less likely to contain malicious code than a zip file. simply decompressing a rar file cannot give you a virus.

And...oh yes. A Mac is your absolute best defense as its very difficult to damage a Mac as its Unix Variant OS is quite different from Windows and is the most stable, safe and advanced of all computer operating systems. A child could write damaging Windows code. The same child would be old, gray and keeling over in a nursing home until he figures out a somewhat damaging Mac virus.
    rather than get into some kind of battle of mac vs pc ill just say this. the reason that you dont see as many viruses on mac as you do PC is because of market share. its easier to infect PCs because there are tons of them. OSX has vulnerabilities just as a PC does. You can get a virus on Mac, they are not immune because they are loosely based on unix.

With all that said, ill go back to my main point. Use common sense when browsing. Don't download cracked software from shady sites, download your mp3s legally from amazon (its cheaper then itunes and DRM free) and dont just click yes to every box that pops up. I know people like to believe that if you go online with out some kind of virus scan you will instantly get a virus, this is completely untrue. Using common sense you probably don't even need one. If you do use one, Mcafee and Norton (syamntec) are more trouble than they are worth, their detection rates are some at the bottom of the list in terms of speed. get something like avira, which is free and has the fastest detection rate and highest detection lists. Keep you system up to date with patches, this includes things like flash and adobe pdf software, which are the most vectors these days for exploits.

I think that covers it, hope this helps someone!

Puffer Fish with some spikes jcazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babaki View Post
    since someone asked me to back up my statement im going to do that. Keep in mind there is no ill intent here, im just stating facts. this is my job, i have been in IT for 10 years and have had a computer since i could talk.

<snip>

As an IT professional with over 15 years of experience... +1 to everything Babaki said.

Quote Originally Posted by Babaki View Post
    Thanks for expanding. Some really good info in this thread!
    Anejo Time!

Reindeer Goatcheese Pizza fireface's Avatar

I was assuming he was speaking of the "Sony rootkit" from a few years ago.
    Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased—thus do we refute entropy.
    --Mike Callahan

The Original Ron Mexico simplechords's Avatar

First of all let me start of by saying that I'm in computer for a living.

In all honesty system restore is mostly useless these days. More often than not, a virus will infect the system restore points and use it to reinstall from. Here is my best advice to run virus free.

1. Ditch Internet explorer- Switch your web browser. Chrome is far more secure and much quicker.

2. Microsoft Security essentials- This free anti virus from micrsoft is quite low on resources and work better than most commercial packages.

3. Run malewarebytes once a month

I haven't had a virus in around 8 years.

Young Puffer Fish

Simple...I migrated to OS X! Lol...

I have not had to deal with virus problems since, and while I still use Windows XP in my office, I do not run any anti-virus program because of the additional resources that they take. But I am careful with what I download and open in emails, and if you practise careful habits and work with discretion, you should be fine. Works for me!

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
    Or just buy a Mac...

I KEED... I KEED!!!
    There are plenty of OSX viruses, and not to mention a lot of exploits affect cross platform software like JAVA and PDFs. However, I prefer OSX to windows though, but it definitely has nothing to do with security.
    Last edited by akaAtomix; 06-03-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Young Puffer Fish

Guys,

Another tip to be more secure browsing is use a virtual machine for browsing the Internet. System restore is good but like someone else mentioned.. if the restore volume is infected it won't help. Also, a lot of malware stops system restore in its tracks.

Download virtualbox or VMware player
    Install another operating system in the virtual machine
    Install updates and an anti-virus (Microsoft Defender is fine!)
    If you want to take in an extra step use a sandbox (something like Sandboxie its free)
    Do all of your browsing in this virtual machine

FYI, unless you check email in the VM it doesn't protect against email obviously.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Cremeika's Avatar

Good Infos from what looks like solid sources, thanks for helping some of use news browse safer.
    No matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Smart Browsing, keep away from the skin searches or anything that is supposed to be free. It is free and comes with free malware and virus infections too!
    A good AV program is essential too and Norton isnt it. Norton is a resource hog and gets penetrated far too often. My recommendations are Avast NOD32 and Kaspersky.

Young Puffer Fish

skin sites no matter how authentic will get you a virus eventually. As will most social media sites. My wife is a constant face book user and her AVAST is constantly kicking out warnings and deleting malicious files. Windows defender actually is the most successful for me at stopping these attacks although Avast does a fair job as well as im sure most any of the current virus protection programs offer some degree of protection. I do have one apple mac book pro and just like any of my android devices it has been virus free.

Avast works well for me. Norton just bogs a system down. Avast is free. Did I mention I'm cheap?
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I'm a big fan for AVG.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast