Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Your "Best" Defense From Windows Viruses

This is a discussion on Your "Best" Defense From Windows Viruses within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; There are MANY viruses and malware code which the most sophisticated anti-virus products simply can't protect you from. One of ...

Thou Shall Not Doubt Me MoreBeer's Avatar

Thumbs up Your "Best" Defense From Windows Viruses

There are MANY viruses and malware code which the most sophisticated anti-virus products simply can't protect you from. One of which is a variant of the Phoenix virus which includes several different forms, not all are the original Phoenix virus but all contain the term "Phoenix" within its definition.

The most violent form begins by attacking your browser and looks to log your keystrokes to obtain user names, passwords, etc. If more than one browser is installed, such as Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc., it will spread to each and also corrupt system files.

As this virus propagates, it'll attempt to attack your computer every few seconds while a browser is functioning. Products such as Nortons and McAfee will "block" the virus at each attempt but as this attack continues over the course of several days, your system will not respond and result in a black screen at startup. At this point most will result in reinstalling the operating system which is time consuming along with the loss of all files and applications.

This particular virus is usually contracted by visiting "unsavory" websites, downloading commercial software which requires you to modify the "Hosts File" of your system (advanced) and by downloading products compressed using .RAR compression.

The solution? Every week or so, create a "System Restore Point". Information on this can be found on Microsoft's website. The beauty of System Restore is it brings all system and vital files back to their original state while keeping all your files and applications intact while cleaning your computer of all unwanted files not present at the restore point set.

So basically, System Restore is your best defense against super viruses without the loss of saved files.

You'll require your original Windows Install Disk to initiate the restore in the event of a super virus attack so don't lose them. If not receiving disks with your system, make certain to follow manufacturers instructions on the correct method to create a set from the installed system.

Your Freindly Neighborhood Beerman!
    "I'll Buy That For A Dollar"

Puffer Fish with some spikes UncleFester's Avatar

Re: Your "Best" Defense From Windows Viruses

Or just buy a Mac...

I KEED... I KEED!!!
    "Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, consider this justice a gift..."

Puffer Fish with some spikes Captnstabn's Avatar

Making a system restore point is crucial to do regularly. I also use firefox with no-script and ad block plus for web browsing. This combo works great.

No-script is one of the best add ons for firefox. It automatically blocks all scripts on any page until you allow them. You can allow websites to run scripts that you know are safe. Thus, no redirects or auto downloads from webpages.

Best Defense = Stay the hell off the skin sites.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by DSturg369 View Post

Or at least pick quality ones....

Puffer Fish with some spikes Captnstabn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DSturg369 View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about

smart browsing is really the best defense. just be smart about what you are clicking on and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Babaki View Post
    smart browsing is really the best defense. just be smart about what you are clicking on and you will be fine.
    Not really. Unfortunate although popular, many like to get free things to download such as music and software. The most violent of viruses emerge from these sources. In fact, although illegal to distribute a virus, many large corporations do exactly that and plant damaging files masquerading to be their software. Music companies regularly infect popular tracks with nasty code and upload them everywhere.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, be VERY careful with any file compressed using Win-Rar as opposed to other compression methods such as .zip or .sit. The reason Win-Rar (.rar) is used is that its easy to conceal damaging code within .rar compression. The file could be the mother of all viruses yet right-clicking the compressed file and allowing your anti-virus software to scan it often results in a clean file report.

And...oh yes. A Mac is your absolute best defense as its very difficult to damage a Mac as its Unix Variant OS is quite different from Windows and is the most stable, safe and advanced of all computer operating systems. A child could write damaging Windows code. The same child would be old, gray and keeling over in a nursing home until he figures out a somewhat damaging Mac virus.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captnstabn View Post
    Making a system restore point is crucial to do regularly. I also use firefox with no-script and ad block plus for web browsing. This combo works great.

No-script is one of the best add ons for firefox. It automatically blocks all scripts on any page until you allow them. You can allow websites to run scripts that you know are safe. Thus, no redirects or auto downloads from webpages.
    +1 on Firefox also use a good Anti Virus i use Norton the combo is bullet proof IMHO!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    Not really. Unfortunate although popular, many like to get free things to download such as music and software. The most violent of viruses emerge from these sources. In fact, although illegal to distribute a virus, many large corporations do exactly that and plant damaging files masquerading to be their software. Music companies regularly infect popular tracks with nasty code and upload them everywhere.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, be VERY careful with any file compressed using Win-Rar as opposed to other compression methods such as .zip or .sit. The reason Win-Rar (.rar) is used is that its easy to conceal damaging code within .rar compression. The file could be the mother of all viruses yet right-clicking the compressed file and allowing your anti-virus software to scan it often results in a clean file report.

And...oh yes. A Mac is your absolute best defense as its very difficult to damage a Mac as its Unix Variant OS is quite different from Windows and is the most stable, safe and advanced of all computer operating systems. A child could write damaging Windows code. The same child would be old, gray and keeling over in a nursing home until he figures out a somewhat damaging Mac virus.
    no offense or anything, but almost all of this is simply untrue.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish carpenter's Avatar

Well you did say no offense

I don't know too much about viruses and stuff like that so I don't really know what is true. I do know some of Morebeer's qualifications to say what he has so I was wondering what yours are. Not trying to create a war or anything, this thread just has me interested in what is best. Especially since today I brought two of my laptops in to get fixed so now I am using my wifes. (which means I might not be on Puff as often till they are fixed)

Is It????????????????

Full grown Puffer Fish Seminole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
    Or just buy a Mac...

I KEED... I KEED!!!

You beat me to that one!!! Best suggestion on this thread. You know what they say, "Once you go Mac, you never go back!" or something like that.

Can you back up your statement, please? As said before, not to start an argument, but to get the best info. Steve has a solid reputation here and I trust his advice on these things, but if you disagree you should expand your claim to more than just "that's wrong".
    Anejo Time!

Leading Puffer Fish Richterscale's Avatar

System Restore points are useless if the Restore Volume is infected which most virus/maleware do. If you're talking about restoring to a confirmed clean ghosted image then that's different but the Windows Native System Restore is not really a safe virus removal tool at all. As a matter of fact whenever there's a virus or maleware that's wrecking havoc, the best thing to do is DISABLE restore in order to delete any previous restore points while the individual maleware is tracked down and all references to it are removed. At which point enabling restore again is advisable.

I read your post again and it seems like you're referring to two separate methods.

- A restore point that is on a disk from original purchase is the image and you will not get any carry over data that you currently have.
    - A user created system restore point is the one that enables you to keep all of your data because all it does is restores certain files which is why it's rarely ever fully effective against a virus let alone a super virus.

I wish it were lol.. I cannot tell you how many times I've desperately tried to use a restore point after a disaster only to be let down lol. The ideal way to set it up using a restore image is a clean OS install.. all OS updates and service packs and any software that you use as bare bones and THEN make yourself an image disc that can be used as a doomsday restore. I make them all the time however they get lost just as quick haha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast