Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

iPhone/iPod speaker dock?

This is a discussion on iPhone/iPod speaker dock? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm interested in getting one of these little docks, specifically for plopping my iPhone 3GS into to listen to Pandora ...

iPhone/iPod speaker dock?

I'm interested in getting one of these little docks, specifically for plopping my iPhone 3GS into to listen to Pandora out in the garage while smoking. I'm not a super-picky audiophile, but I'd rather if it didnt sound like garbage. I do have an electrical outlet close to my smoking spot, so wired with battery option would be better than battery powered only. Remote would be cool, but not a deal killer.

To be honest, I haven't really shopped at all, except to see that there's a dizzying number of these things out there at all price points....IOW, I looked enough to see that I need at least a point in the right direction of what to look for, and no further

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!!!!

Re: iPhone/iPod speaker dock?

Off the top of my head I don't know of any that have the option to be battery powered that sound that great, TBH. My wife and I picked up a Memorex dock from Walmart a couple years ago for about $30. It's not the best sounding, but it doesn't sound like garbage either. On the other hand, my mother has an iHome docking station that sounds amazing. However, I think she spent over $100 at Best Buy for it.

I'd suggest going out to some local stores that have them on display and try each one with your iPhone. As far as brands go, Altec Lansing , Klipsch, and Logitech are the top ones I'd recommend. Some Sony's are good as well.

Also, you'll want to make sure that it says it's iPhone compatible. I know initially there was an issue where the iPod docks wouldn't recognize the iPhone (because Apple switched some pins around in the connection). Most of them should now be compatible with both, but it never hurts to double check.

I had a Logitech system that looked like a soundbar. It delivered pretty good sound at reasonable volume. Has a bass boost, if that interests you. I didn't have much need for it, but it was a feature. I was really impressed by it. I liked that it had a rechargable battery. I'd take it out to my firepit and sit with it playing while me and the wife enjoyed a fire. It does have a very simple remote for it and was compatible with my 3d Gen Nano and my new iTouch. Can't vouch for the iPhones, but the newer model receivers should be good. The first one I bought was $100 and I used and abused it for a deployment and it still worked and sounded the same as the day I bought it. It finally died after 2 years of ownership and plenty of neglect and abuse. I bought a second one and so far have taken much better care of it and it is still working great 2+ years later. I would usually get about 5 hours of playback at medium volume and medium song fidgeting. Basically anything you do to draw power like illuminate your screen draws power from it. Not sure how that would work with a phone because it also charges while playing even on battery power. It even has a neoprone skin to protect it if you wanted to throw it in a bag while camping or toss it in the trunk if you're taking it to a picnic. If you have a case for your 3GS make sure it fits on the dock before you buy it. I wouldn't like having to remove the phone from the case to listen to music.

Bottom line, I've bought two and loved both.
    Logitech Pure-Fi 2
    Last edited by ShortFuse; 07-02-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Add link
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

No longer a community member.

I have this, and have been very pleased. Hope this helps.

Sony - AM/FM Clock Radio with AppleŽ iPodŽ Dock - Black - ICFCS10IPBLK

Newbie in the ocean

I was never a fan of ipod or iphone specific dock speakers as I have a lot of players I just plug in to get a louder sound. Though I really like the one from Belkin.

They have a lot of products with the same function but I forgot the model number and I will just post a picture soon. It is shaped like an alarm clock and you could choose for it to turn on the radio as your alarm.

For its portable size, it gives off a huge and clear sound. Not for those who want a very rich or deep bass though.

The Original Ron Mexico simplechords's Avatar

If you don't want something portable I would just pick up a pair of computer speakers.

Puffer Fish with some spikes RetiredNavyIC's Avatar

I own a Bose SoundDock and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The model I have does not have a battery or the option to add one. IMHO it has great balanced sound with excellent bass and you can really crank the volume if you should want to.

Scotch & Cigars

I use this, price seems to have gone up a bit since I got it though...it works great and travels easily!

http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-Portable-...9716393&sr=1-6

Young Puffer Fish

I am using the Logitech S715i iPod speaker dock and it's fantastic for the price! It's cheaper than a Jawbone, although takes up a little more space, but amongst the offerings by Logitech, this is one sits in the middle in terms of size and price point, with a performance way above average! Great for travel and the home. Wife uses it every night to play music in the bedroom on her way to deep slumber!