Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

No more Windows based products for me

This is a discussion on No more Windows based products for me within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I've been running Windows boxes for years and have had my share of problems with them. I've had numerous problems ...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: No more Windows based products for me

I've been running Windows boxes for years and have had my share of problems with them. I've had numerous problems with Malware infections, especially those browser hijack programs like "Windows Security 2011" and the like. They install themselves on your computer and they want a kings ransom payment as blackmail to allow you to use your own computer. I'm still running Windows XP and my techie friend says that I MUST upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as I can swing the money. My computer hardware is too dated to run Windows 7 so that means a new computer, which I can't afford. Oh joy.

Mike T.

Bent-1,
    Honestly I think Windows 7 is the best yet but that's me. I've been using Apple since 10.4.11 (I won't go into the details of how but yeah, it's pretty obvious) and I hate to say it but Lion has been kind of a letdown for me. It's just too damn gimmicky for my taste. Leopard, Snow Leopard, then Lion. They just get sillier but I have to have Lion for Fermi support so I'm stuck. I boot into Win 7 99% of the time.

Puffer Fish with some spikes apexking's Avatar

I used to work for Microsoft But am open to all os's from linux to apple, droid, ios...... In all honesty 99% of all the problems ive ever seen on the desktop are related to poorly written drivers. Take a vanilla copy of windows load office and the same av put it on 10 different computers with the same specs but different hardware manufactures and i promise they will all run differently. It comes down to the drivers. Some are written well others crap. This is one of the nice things but also downfalls of windows....you can run it on 1000's of devices of your choosing but to make it run on 1000's of computers you loose a level of quality control. I have to say i do love macs, i just cant justify spending the money for one. Especially at the end of the day it has nothing to do with the os but instead the apps you run on it. With html 5 growing strong i imagine we will find most apps available on any platform...at least i hope this is the case. By the way this is sent from my ipad which i use 95% for all personal computing needs.

IMHO to me windows takes it. I do love mac, and even Linux. But Linux can be a big time hassle if you do more than just basic stuff. Took me and a friend several hours just to get World of Warcraft to work ( now its like 30 mines lol ). Apple is nice and shiny and clean GUI. My biggest gripe is the $$$$ i build a computer at the same specs ( at or above) my friends Mac desktop computer. his was $2900+. Mine was around 1800-2000. And that included a lot of upgraded features and was still cheaper. I just wish they would lower their prices like 1K and they would make a lot more new customers (but that will never happen). that's just my two cents. Every dog has its day, same with computers. Most problems with ANY computer is "user" made. lol

Justin and James above me hit it right on the head, on a WinBox it comes down to driver stability.

I build my own, and am very careful about what components are used. I read reviews on newegg for each component for hours on end. If you stick with components that have been on the market for at least a year, you may not run on the razor's edge, but the upside is stability. Believe me I've come to this the hard way, after YEARS of being an early adopter, and I've learned my lesson well.

On top of that, I'm no longer a gamer, so the need for the greatest is no longer a concern.

Young Puffer Fish

I used Windows since the very beginning when I started using computers, about 15 years ago. It served its purpose very well, but I needed something more - in terms of stability and ability for creative expression. I find Macs wonderful in that aspect, and migrated over to OS X 3 years ago. It's a wonderful OS, and I run it in my MacBook Pro of 2010 with 8 GB of RAM. However, at work, I am still running on Windows XP. Prefer the XP over the newer incarnations of Windows OS...anytime!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2