Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No more Windows based products for me

This is a discussion on No more Windows based products for me within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; After Win 95, 98, Xp, & Win 7, all the 'fatal errors' & registry problems, let alone security loopholes, poorly ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes bent-1's Avatar

No more Windows based products for me

After Win 95, 98, Xp, & Win 7, all the 'fatal errors' & registry problems, let alone security loopholes, poorly written software that plagues MS operating systems, I'm done.

The help sections are worthless unless you have advanced knowledge on data logs. I DON'T want to become a programmer just to use this stupid box.

Steve Balmer (CEO Microsoft), this is for you

Steve Jobs (Apple), this is for you

Re: No more Windows based products for me

Quote Originally Posted by bent-1 View Post
    After Win 95, 98, Xp, & Win 7, all the 'fatal errors' & registry problems, let alone security loopholes, poorly written software that plagues MS operating systems, I'm done.

The help sections are worthless unless you have advanced knowledge on data logs. I DON'T want to become a programmer just to use this stupid box.

Steve Balmer (CEO Microsoft), this is for you

Steve Jobs (Apple), this is for you
    Hey, just my 2 cents, but before buying into another "superpower" with it's own set of frustrations, why not give some flavor of LINUX a try?

Apple is not a great alternative. But hey it is your choice.

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by dav0 View Post
    Hey, just my 2 cents, but before buying into another "superpower" with it's own set of frustrations, why not give some flavor of LINUX a try?

What is life like with LINUX? Is it a series of hunting for drivers to experience full featured compatibility when surfing? Is there a way to see if the programs I run are supported by LINUX?

Can I run a dual system without problems?

I am by no means an expert. Thx for your help

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by titlowda View Post
    Apple is not a great alternative. But hey it is your choice.
    Linux FTW

i use windows for gaming, LINUX for everything else.

free and 1000% more stable than mac OS

I've experienced more crashes on a max than a pc and used both for nearly my entire life. Mac, especially more recently, are just becoming shiny windows. The reason mac was so "stable and safe" was because not enough people used it for hackers/writers of malicious software to care enough to write for it. Now everyone has a mac and it's just as vulnerable.

Linux on the other hand, is a completely different story.

What is life like with LINUX? Is it a series of hunting for drivers to experience full featured compatibility when surfing? Is there a way to see if the programs I run are supported by LINUX?

Can I run a dual system without problems?

I am by no means an expert. Thx for your help
    I run triple system currently.

Win 7, Mac OS, and ubuntu

the most stable is easily ubuntu. Drivers are *easier* to get if you do need them, because of how it's setup. Everything is free and usually better. If you need your computer for anything other than "email and the internet" like business software, etc. you'll have a harder time converting to apple than Linux, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    I run triple system currently.

Win 7, Mac OS, and ubuntu

the most stable is easily ubuntu. Drivers are *easier* to get if you do need them, because of how it's setup. Everything is free and usually better. If you need your computer for anything other than "email and the internet" like business software, etc. you'll have a harder time converting to apple than Linux, tbh.
    Sounds good. Is Linux is the OS and and ubuntu the browser? Sorry for the ignorance.

Sounds good. Is Linux is the OS and and ubuntu the browser? Sorry for the ignorance.
    Linux is the kernel, Ubuntu is the OS running on linux kernel.

Sorry in advance that this post is so long...

Everyone is always all ready to switch to Mac or Linux but to be honest they all have their own issues.

Mac is good for someone who just wants their computer to "just work" but you don't really have that many options for customization and such, I have found it to be really "dumbed down". Personally I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Linux is probably the most stable of the three for the most part, but it can also be extreemly frustrating for someone who is not a "computer person". In all honesty I work in the IT field and I don't even want to mess with Linux at home, when I get home after a long day I just want it to work. When it works Linux is great, but when something won't work right you are often in for an hour or two of research and troubleshooting to get it to work. This can be for something as simple as getting a program to install correctly. Linux can be great, but only if you have no problem dealing with it's issues.

Windows is actually not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, most of the time the problems are user error. It is easy to use (maybe not as much as Mac, but still), easially customizable, compatible with virtually everything, and with Windows 7 it is more secure than it's been in the past. It is secure enough that if you are smart about what you are doing on your computer you won't have too many issues with viruses and such.

If you really want to switch go ahead, but you will probably be back soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bbergeson View Post

Everyone is always all ready to switch to Mac or Linux but to be honest they all have their own issues.

Mac is good for someone who just wants their computer to "just work" but you don't really have that many options for customization and such, I have found it to be really "dumbed down". Personally I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Linux is probably the most stable of the three for the most part, but it can also be extreemly frustrating for someone who is not a "computer person". In all honesty I work in the IT field and I don't even want to mess with Linux at home, when I get home after a long day I just want it to work. When it works Linux is great, but when something won't work right you are often in for an hour or two of research and troubleshooting to get it to work. This can be for something as simple as getting a program to install correctly. Linux can be great, but only if you have no problem dealing with it's issues.

Windows is actually not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, most of the time the problems are user error. It is easy to use (maybe not as much as Mac, but still), easially customizable, compatible with virtually everything, and with Windows 7 it is more secure than it's been in the past. It is secure enough that if you are smart about what you are doing on your computer you won't have too many issues with viruses and such.

If you really want to switch go ahead, but you will probably be back soon enough.
    ^ this.

mac is just more "noob friendly" so to speak. I've yet to have a virus do anything to me since win 7 released, and have multiple issues on my mac partition with malware

Puffer Fish with some spikes yaqui's Avatar

I have used mac's and PC's for years. The mac's will run forever, the PC's, not so much. I dropped a macbook pro a few weeks ago, no problems.

I had a client trip over the power cord, and laptop landed on a tile floor, the battery fell out in pieces, the macbook never even shut off, I was shooting tethered to the laptop at the time, and just kept going. The client was bumbfounded.

I vote Mac. Time Machine alone is worth the piece of mind.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jordanwimb's Avatar

As some have already said, each OS has its own advantages and disadvantages.

You already seem pretty familiar with Windows, so I won't go into that. But I will say, I have to work on Windows machines and servers quite often in the IT field. When kept clean and optimized, it's a pretty solid OS (aside from Vista).

Mac is, in my opinion, a pretty nice platform. While I do agree that it is geared towards the "I just want it to work" user, I think they do it in a pretty nice way. I use a Macbook when I do web design for various projects and have never really been disappointed with it. I love the GUI and feel of it and have had significantly fewer lock ups than I did with Windows.

Linux a front-runner for stability, but for a lot of users, there is a high learning curve. Most Linux distros are pretty user friendly now (like Ubuntu), but if there is an issue, your lack of familiarity with the OS may make minor issues seem much bigger. Also, there can be a issue with drivers matching up to all your hardware, though I think most releases have covered this now.

Personally, I use all 3, depending on the application. I think all 3 are great at times and at some point I don't want to use either one, but that's always going to be true for any product.

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbergeson View Post

...also, anything Apple is going to cost you a lot more for a lot less unless you're in the market for shiny plastic.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I guess i have been lucky i have had them all Win 95 98 xp Vista windows 7. Each has had its challenges. None is was perfect but none where intolerable. As far as safety issues i have always run the best anti virus program i could find. Mc Fee for many years Now Norton. Either i am real lucky or they really are worth the extra scratch! Good Luck whatever you decide!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast