Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

PC Help Needed, Please

This is a discussion on PC Help Needed, Please within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Ok, I'll try to keep this short. My wife's laptop crashed. It's a Sony Viao running windows 7. It kept ...

No longer a community member.

PC Help Needed, Please

Ok, I'll try to keep this short.

My wife's laptop crashed. It's a Sony Viao running windows 7. It kept starting system repair, and couldn't repair it. I had to run the recovery partition on the hard disk. Now, after the desktop has loaded, it does a physical memory dump, and I have to run in safe mode, and disable some startup services for it to start in normal mode. Then I ran windows updates, and and restarted, in the middle of updating during shutdown, it went to the memory dump thing again. Now..to pour salt on a open wound..here's the best part of all of this. I paid for omnitech support, which I was directed to, by Sony. They use a remote desktop connection to work on the pc from like India or something!! They SUCK!!!

Can any if you possibly help me, please? I can possibly provide more info, but it's probably worthless.

Thank you.

Re: PC Help Needed, Please

No guarantees, I'm far from a computer guru......

Hopefully it is not a motherboard problem.

I would first try to rule out any virus or malware problems.
    IF you can start up in safe mode with networking, go online and download a great FREE program Malwarebytes.
    I think it's Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download but you may need to Google it.
    Let it do a full system scan while in safe mode, hopefully it finds the problem.

Like I said, I'm not a computer tech, but ruling out any of these problems may help determine if it is/isn't a hardware problem.
    Depending on the age of the laptop, Sony may stand behind it. If you have another computer, I'd get on it and Google your computer model and memory dump problems to see if there are any known issues with that model.

May not do much good, but that's all that I know to do.

Good luck with it Bro!

it is not a virus, if you reloaded the laptop from the restore to factory option.
    When you get the BSOD (Blue scren of death) what is the error code it is giving you? Write that down and good search that code, it sounds like a hardware issue.

I agree with Brent that it sounds like a hardware issue. Although their is a slight chance that you have a very nasty virus I think it is very unlikely. Although I can't really walk you threw diagnosing the hardware it sounds like it might be bad ram which you can test yourself if you can burn a CD. Download memtest86 from here http://www.memtest86.com/ and burn a disk (it is free) Boot the laptop from the CD and let it run for at least one full iteration. If it displays any errors you have bad ram in the laptop that must be replaced. You can swap ram yourself pretty easy yourself if that is what the problem is. The same symptoms can also be caused by a failing hard drive but that is not quite as easy to tell you how to diagnose. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
    I agree with Brent that it sounds like a hardware issue. Although their is a slight chance that you have a very nasty virus I think it is very unlikely. Although I can't really walk you threw diagnosing the hardware it sounds like it might be bad ram which you can test yourself if you can burn a CD. Download memtest86 from here http://www.memtest86.com/ and burn a disk (it is free) Boot the laptop from the CD and let it run for at least one full iteration. If it displays any errors you have bad ram in the laptop that must be replaced. You can swap ram yourself pretty easy yourself if that is what the problem is. The same symptoms can also be caused by a failing hard drive but that is not quite as easy to tell you how to diagnose. good luck.
    John pretty much nailed it. 9/10 it is a RAM issue but can also be caused by any hardware device in the PC if the windows driver is faulty - I've seen this a lot with outdated chipset and video drivers. The memtest should tell you whether RAM is the problem. Hope it is RAM cause that's pretty much the least expensive hardware failure.

Best of luck brother.

As mentioned above I would try running a memory test on it. I work with this stuff every day and I would say that is most likely the issue. I have also seen issues like this due to a dying hard drive, but most of the time it's the RAM.

Also keep in mind that even if the memory test comes out fine it does not 100% rule out the RAM, I have had systems that pass the memory test, but replacing the RAM was still the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bbergeson View Post
    Also keep in mind that even if the memory test comes out fine it does not 100% rule out the RAM, I have had systems that pass the memory test, but replacing the RAM was still the fix.
    This is my experience as well but only with systems that are experiencing infrequent problems. As a general rule I will let memtest86 run three iterations. I have yet run across bad ram that wouldn't show an error by the third iteration. Also Sometimes ram that fails can be fixed by removing it cleaning the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and reinstalling.

Certified Clubbin'-Seal HugSeal's Avatar

If you have two sticks of RAM in it you could try running it with only one of them.and then the other. RAM is pretty easy to swap and will probably not void warranty.

It could also be the Hard-drive but test the RAM first.
    Bjorn to smoke
    (Credits go to Josh[AStateJB])

Full grown Puffer Fish SystemError's Avatar

I had a similar problem and it was the harddrive taking a dump.

Young Puffer Fish

Probably best to do a clean reinstall. I usually do that every 2 years, even though there aren't any problems, just to give the OS a fresh boost. That is, with regular disk checks and defragmentations in between. If that doesn't work for you, it could likely be a case of hard disk damage. In that case, a replacement of the hard disk and reinstall of the OS is in order. Hard disk replacement can be quite fairly easy to do if you're the techie DIY person, otherwise a shop should be able to sort this out for you for a low fee. But before that, you need to transfer all important files from the old hard disk. You may need to log into DOS to achieve that. Do check how online.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Poneill272 View Post
    Ok, I'll try to keep this short.

My wife's laptop crashed. It's a Sony Viao running windows 7. It kept starting system repair, and couldn't repair it. I had to run the recovery partition on the hard disk. Now, after the desktop has loaded, it does a physical memory dump, and I have to run in safe mode, and disable some startup services for it to start in normal mode. Then I ran windows updates, and and restarted, in the middle of updating during shutdown, it went to the memory dump thing again. Now..to pour salt on a open wound..here's the best part of all of this. I paid for omnitech support, which I was directed to, by Sony. They use a remote desktop connection to work on the pc from like India or something!! They SUCK!!!

Can any if you possibly help me, please? I can possibly provide more info, but it's probably worthless.

Thank you.
    Can you get to the data at all? The best thing to do is copy off your data and reinstall. Before reinstall create you a "data" partition that way anytime you need to reinstall the OS the data is still there.

Good advice. If not also try:

Superfree anti spyware (looks shady but is really really good)
    CCleaner
    Spybot

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

If you did a clean reinstall and it crapped after while doing updates it definitely a hardware problem. I wouldnt say its a driver issue if it was working before with the same hardware. Most likely something is on its way out, be it memory, mother board, video, sound etc. Hard drives dont generally cause BSODs like this. When they go, they just go and you wont get a BSOD, you get boot sector not found after POST.

In the future try to avoid PCs made by companies not the frontrunners in PCs. Sony is at the top of my avoid at all costs list.

If you don't want t do a clean reinstall to get your data install windows on top of the old installation and should boot windows. Your files will be under windows(dot)old Obviously if it is a hardware problem you won't get that far but at the very least you will be able to grab your files