Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

whats your cell phone and why

This is a discussion on whats your cell phone and why within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Apple hater here. Apple has turned into the world's largest patent troll. The way they try to sue their competition ...

Re: whats your cell phone and why

Apple hater here. Apple has turned into the world's largest patent troll. The way they try to sue their competition out of the game rather than beating them with technology, coupled with repackaging technology as if they created it, and then their insanely smug fanboy base is enough to keep me away.

I have a Blackberry Bold right now. I love the email and keyboard but a 2yr old phone is going to suck no matter what it is. Just pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S3 from Amazon. I use my gf's HTC One X too and that thing is amazing. Android for us!

(BTW: Apple sued to have the One X and S3 banned from the US, they temporarily won one the One X, but the S3 one was thrown out.)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish pittjitsu's Avatar

I use the Google nexus one android and i love it. I facebook,email, maps,gps, voice command etc. Its great

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

I currently use a Samsung Sway (slider dumbphone). Why?

Like Dav0, I'm in front of a computer most of the day at work. I have a computer and tablet at home. I've had smartphones before, and took full advantage of the benefits. My favorite was the Palm Pre+, which ran webOS (an incredibly elegant and capable linux-based mobile OS having many original UI elements eventually copied by Google and Apple; but is now in limbo because neither Palm nor HP could ever get it onto decent hardware, and it never reached critical mass of users and app developers ). When it died, I wasn't ready to renew and buy another $100+ smartphone, and I also decided I have much better things to do with the $360/yr data fee (like buy more cigars). I'll admit that I miss being able to read articles or check FB/Twitter when I'm stuck waiting somewhere, like a Dr's office or barber shop. I sometimes miss having mobile email access and alerts. My wife misses NONE of these when she's with me.

If my phone gets drowned, shattered, or lost -- I'm out $30, and can replace it again for the same. No insurance and no contract necessary.

Primary uses are: Call, text, voicemail. It also has an adequate calculator and alarm function. I've also found many alternatives to the "connected" features from apps I'd given up.

Stuff that I do via text:
    Google Calendar - receive alerts, add appointments, retrieve agenda
    Banking - Check the balance on my checking account
    Twitter - send tweets, and receive from a few designated favorites
    Weather - emergency alerts, and scheduled forecast updates from VZW

Stuff that I do via the included, but often-overlooked, VZW email:
    Facebook - update status, upload crappy cell pics
    Photobucket - upload crappy cell pics
    Send notes to self (text, pic, or audio) to any of my email accounts, or to Evernote
    Receive specific messages forwarded by a Gmail filter (including Puff PM's)

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Dropping the apple v others argument for a bit, here's my argument for smartphones:

I once really loved my Motorola pebl. It was like a little stone, and all I did was make calls, and occasionally send my wife a text or get one from her to pick up groceries or something. Nothing else was needed, or so I thought.

But my box gave me his old iPhone 2g, and it changed everything. First, no more carrying an iPod. Didn't need it. Then, no more worrying about having a digital camera about for events, nights out, things the kids, did, etc. then, no more carrying my day planner.

That was just the reduced hassle. Then it added things. My wife and I could check each others calendars and know if something was scheduled or not. Emails could be answered on the go. The kids can watch a movie when I'm getting a haircut.

Texts were now free via the data plan and textplus. I don't have to carry books, I can read them on my phone during lunch. I can download and save a song I like and it automatically gets saved to my computer. I can take a pic of my cigar, write a review, and post boy to Puff while out on a walk during lunch break. My wife can post photos to our blog, or to Facebook, or via email to me and I can see what the kids are doing while I'm at work.

And once tmobile gets the 1900 freq up and running and I update our data plan, I can video chat with my family while on lunch break.

I love my smartphone. Its not for everyone, but its been a blessing for our family!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

true all of that derick, i cant imagine being with out a smart phone now.... and all i do is waste time on it.... i dont use half the stuff on my phone, but having the turn by turn gps on my phone saved my ass when i had to bail off the expressway in a not so nice area due to an accident in a constructiion zone in a terrible down pour storm. I could load music on it but i dont, the wife uses it for netflix at the gym.... and realistically in my opinion, all the new droids and iphones can all do essentially the same thing.
    you should see a dr for erections lasting longer than 4 hours, does that apply to e-peens as well?

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Yep. The iPhone just does it so much prettier!

But man, one thing I kill for on the iPhone is swype. That feature is excellent!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Master Illusione-a-Tatist Sarge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ten08 View Post
    I currently use a Samsung Sway (slider dumbphone). Why?

I also decided I have much better things to do with the $360/yr data fee (like buy more cigars). I'll admit that I miss being able to read articles or check FB/Twitter when I'm stuck waiting somewhere, like a Dr's office or barber shop. I sometimes miss having mobile email access and alerts.
    I don't think anyone can argue it's not a waste of money. especially considering how much the carriers charge for it. They could easily charge half the price making it accessible and reasonably priced while still making money but they choose to be Corporate American Businesses. Rake in Billions & pillage us in the process. Cost alone almost had me downgrading to a dumb phone but I don't think I could live w/o being able to use the internet several times a week at various instances. Not to mention I'm awfully picky when it comes to devices and they just don't make any cool regular phones anymore. Though considering they have these Unlimited Pre-Paid phones that cost $50 a month w/ Unlimited Call, Text & Web I might have to reconsider once this contract is up. I could argue @ $50 a month I'm probably not getting my money worth out of it but $50 sure the hell is better than almost $90 for Unlimited everything. $50 I can live with, $87ish & some change is rape & pillage. Especially when I talk 0-10 minutes a month, maybe about 1k texts & not much data.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader havanajohn's Avatar

I am still using my original HTC Droid Incredible and love it. As soon as the Verizon releases the HTC Droid Incredible 4 in the next week or two i will pick it up.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy sh*t what a ride!"

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

I have a Droid Razr because I couldn't afford the Razr Maxx. Seriously though, I love the Android OS and the fact that if I do have a problem (which is rare) I can usually fix it myself, with the help of various forums and blogs, or I can take it into any of the numerous Verizon corporate stores within a 30 minute drive and have it fixed within minutes, witout making an appointment with a "technician".
    Hangin' out with Friends

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Motorola Droid 2. It's about 2 or 3 years old (forget) and my company pays for it. Wife and son have regular non-smart phones but I'll be upgrading the wife's later this year. I'd like to get her the iPhone 5 when it comes out so we can use facetime.

LG Vu. I'm a cheap bastiage. I'm not going to pay an extra fee, just to use a smartphone, when I already have unlimited data. They won't wave that $30 per month fee for jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I don't think anyone can argue it's not a waste of money. especially considering how much the carriers charge for it. They could easily charge half the price making it accessible and reasonably priced while still making money but they choose to be Corporate American Businesses. Rake in Billions & pillage us in the process. Cost alone almost had me downgrading to a dumb phone but I don't think I could live w/o being able to use the internet several times a week at various instances. Not to mention I'm awfully picky when it comes to devices and they just don't make any cool regular phones anymore. Though considering they have these Unlimited Pre-Paid phones that cost $50 a month w/ Unlimited Call, Text & Web I might have to reconsider once this contract is up. I could argue @ $50 a month I'm probably not getting my money worth out of it but $50 sure the hell is better than almost $90 for Unlimited everything. $50 I can live with, $87ish & some change is rape & pillage. Especially when I talk 0-10 minutes a month, maybe about 1k texts & not much data.
    Really don't agree at all on this. Each company spends billions building, updating, maintaining, and paying leases on their network. Then you factor in that the system we have is made up of cell carriers subsidizing the actual phone cost. Galaxy s3 is $700 in Europe. It is less than $200 here, that means $20/mo. go directly to paying the phone off and that is without interest.

Now, I do believe an area for improvement would be allowing people that own their phones or are off contract to have a different price. Why should the price be the same? An alternative is pre-paid but they don't offer the same coverage yet, such as pre-paid LTE. Companies are scared to death of having to compete with their coverage and customer service. They feel they can only win by having different phone and hanging a contract over your head. I would rather pay for the phone up front and pay $60-70/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    Motorola Droid 2. It's about 2 or 3 years old (forget) and my company pays for it. Wife and son have regular non-smart phones but I'll be upgrading the wife's later this year. I'd like to get her the iPhone 5 when it comes out so we can use facetime.
    Video calling is available on every smartphone. Skype probably being one of the most common ones (has been around many years before facetime), and is available cross-platform, not just to people with the same device.

Full grown Puffer Fish SystemError's Avatar

Blackberry, and I hate it!!! But my job pays for it, so that is what we all the sales guys get.

I moved from the 3GS iPhone to a Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket) and haven't looked back. Huge super 4.5 inch AMOLED screen, 1.5 GHZ processor, 8MP camera, LTE connection gets 30 mb/S download speed, and I'm able to customize the crap out of it. Definite Fandroid here.
    Disciplina praesidium civitatis VTL

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast