Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Anyone have advice on DSLR le lenses

This is a discussion on Anyone have advice on DSLR le lenses within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hello, So I've been getting more and more into digital photography. S I have a Nikon D5100. It came with ...

Anyone have advice on DSLR le lenses

Hello,

So I've been getting more and more into digital photography.
    S
    I have a Nikon D5100. It came with a Nikon 18-55 lense and a 85-200 lense.
    The quality of pictures are much better on the 85-200 lense so I came to the conclusion that the stock 18-55 lense is of lesser quality then the individually boxed (seems like add on) lense that came with my bundle (the 85-200). So I'm looking to replace the lense with shorter focal lengths. Not exactly looking for a macro lense. Something more medium lengths.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone had experience with 3rd party lenses like sigma?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Full grown Puffer Fish SystemError's Avatar

Re: Anyone have advice on DSLR le lenses

Sigma have some pretty good lenses. Your Nikon kit lens should be pretty good. If you not taking professional photos, I really don't see how you could notice a difference. A big question is how much you want to spend, and what type of photos you are trying to take?

If you want a lens for family photos and a zoom lens all in one, they can get pretty pricy. Unless you want to stand far back, anything higher than 50mm is no good for point and shoot.

Have you tried different setting on you camera to help with the picture quality? What is wrong with the pictures. I'm no professional, but have owned a DSLR for a few years

I'm watching you.

I bought a kit Canon 60D and the glass it came with is pretty damn good. I can't do the macro photos that I want to do tho, it being a telephoto lens, so I plan on investing in a Sigma fixed 50mm 1.8f lens soon. It sounds like what you'd be looking for, too. Other than that, I'm pleased with the capabilities of this camera and lens and am learning something new every day.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Jokes for reps themoneycollector's Avatar

The standard 18-55 zooms that come with most boxed dslr's are pretty good for beginners. It's not great, but you'll pay a lot more for a great lens. However, it's usually leaps above what most point & shoots do.

Personally, I started to notice that I needed new lenses when I would do stuff like low light photos and see that my photos were too dark because the lens was not fast enough. Or taking photos and couldn't get that depth of focus that I wanted or couldn't get the focal length that I wanted. Likewise, I knew I had outgrown my dslr body when the iso was too low for me, I need the extra mp's to print out cropped photos, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts. I am doing a lot of nighttime photography and the kit lense quality just isn't as good as my 85 200. But for most things I want to do that focal legth is too high.

I specifically realize the difference with the kit lense for nighttime long exposures. I've played with ISO and f stop but still problem. If I replaced my kit with a sigma will I get better quality?

Maybe what I really need is a fixed lense with a wide appeture?

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

A prime lens with a wider aperture will help, but remember, lenses are not typically their sharpest wide open, but stopped down a stop or two. Still, there's something about shooting with a 50 f/1.8 or f/1.4 that's just fun. Primes are a whole different experience, and I do believe everyone should have at least one.

But for general purposes, a faster zoom is probably a better choice. Sigma has some good lenses and some bad ones. The reason I stay away is what many photographers like to call the Sigma Lottery. There are certain lenses that, when you get a good copy, are absolutely incredible. It's just getting a good copy can sometimes be difficult.

I shoot Canon, so I'm not familiar with Nikon's lenses (their AF in lens/in body system still confuses me too...). They probably have a faster, but similar in focal length lens to your kit lens. Like Canon's kit lens is 18-55 3.5-5.6. The better version is the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. Unfortunately, it's a huge jump with the latter being 10x the price.

Look into the Sigma or Tokina 17-50 range lenses for a good, all around lens. If you're looking for something ultrawide, it's tough to beat the Tokina 12-24 or Tokina 11-16 for the prices. As a general rule of thumb though, I like to stick to 1st party lenses. I usually only consider 3rd party if I'm looking for something Canon doesn't make (i.e. constant aperture ultrawide like the Tokina 11-16).

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish wacbzz's Avatar

If I were you, I would look into some of Nikon's VR lenses. These will allow you to shoot better images without having to worry *as much* about whether you have the right shutter speed or not.

I shoot Pentax and don't have to worry because the IS is in the body; every lens I put on my camera is IS.

Puffer Fish with many spikes johnb's Avatar

subscribed, just bought a canon rebel T3 today... only have an 18-55 lens tho

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    subscribed, just bought a canon rebel T3 today... only have an 18-55 lens tho
    18-55 Kit lens, 55-250, and 50mm 1.8 is the perfect DSLR newb trifecta. The 18-55 is a good lens optically, and the 55-250 blows away anything in it's focal length and price range (like the canon 75-300). I actually use a 50 1.4 that I was gifted, but many people own and love their 50 1.8 "thrifty fifty" lenses. Performs well optically, build quality just isn't the best. This is a great set of lenses to learn on and a great place to be when you want to start adding in specialty lenses. My first addition was a 100mm macro followed by a 300mm f/4. Only now am I looking to replace the kit lens with something faster. I'm letting you know now, the slope is just as slippery as the cigar one!

i can tell that it is a slippery slope.. i was tempted to but a 50 lens but i was being cheap... my camera came with a free kindle, maybe i will put that on the bay and see what i can get to put towards another lens
    Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    18-55 Kit lens, 55-250, and 50mm 1.8 is the perfect DSLR newb trifecta. The 18-55 is a good lens optically, and the 55-250 blows away anything in it's focal length and price range (like the canon 75-300). I actually use a 50 1.4 that I was gifted, but many people own and love their 50 1.8 "thrifty fifty" lenses. Performs well optically, build quality just isn't the best. This is a great set of lenses to learn on and a great place to be when you want to start adding in specialty lenses. My first addition was a 100mm macro followed by a 300mm f/4. Only now am I looking to replace the kit lens with something faster. I'm letting you know now, the slope is just as slippery as the cigar one!

Was a Nikon shooter for 9 years before switching over to Canon. Sigma has some great lenses but the QC is hit or miss. If going that route I would bring your body to a shop and test the lens you are picking up on the spot.

I went through a large number of lenses at that time and out of all the 3rd party lenses I ended up keeping my sigma 50mm 1.4.

Choosing a lens depends on the environment you are shooting. Outdoors with a ton of available light your choices are endless. If mostly shooting indoors, low light, non flash then $$$$ goes up as you need fast glass.

Slippery slope indeed, I have gone through more than 20 different pieces of glass until I settled down with my kit I was happy with.

Then I switch over to Canon and had to start the whole process over again......

Good luck

I'm watching you.

Yeah, I really need to the 50, but I don't want to spring for the 50/1.4. Thrifty-Fifty, that's my style!
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

ok broke down and bought a 50/1.8 will let you know how it works

nice choice....small compact light weight glass

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    ok broke down and bought a 50/1.8 will let you know how it works
    I like shooting with my zooms for general purpose, but it's fun heading out with only a 50 prime. It's not right for every situation, but when it is, it's GREAT. Funny thing is, I've heard reports of the 50 1.8 having better image quality than the 50 1.4. I have to say, I'm not overly impressed with my 1.4 wide open, but that is wide open...