Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Anybody Build Computers?

This is a discussion on Anybody Build Computers? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; As an IT guy, NO RAID 5. RAID 5 sucks and you can end up losing a whole array along ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Anybody Build Computers?

As an IT guy, NO RAID 5. RAID 5 sucks and you can end up losing a whole array along with all its data with it's crazy rebuilding. Either RAID 1 or RAID 10 if you are going RAID. You can also do backups to a larger HDD instead of going RAID.

Looking at your computer needs, it doesn't seem like you need a whole bunch and your shopping list looks good. Probably won't notice a difference in RAM 4x4 or 2x8.
    It's a trap!

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    As an IT guy, NO RAID 5. RAID 5 sucks and you can end up losing a whole array along with all its data with it's crazy rebuilding. Either RAID 1 or RAID 10 if you are going RAID. You can also do backups to a larger HDD instead of going RAID.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll stay away from RAID 5. I had just started some research on RAID at about 2am last night, lol. RAID 10 definitely seems like the best choice, as it provides better performance and redundancy. Just don't know if I can swing the price of 4 HDDs and a mobo that will support 4 6gb/s HDDs. How much of a pain is it to start out with a single HDD and switch over to a RAID array later on?

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Looking at your computer needs, it doesn't seem like you need a whole bunch and your shopping list looks good. Probably won't notice a difference in RAM 4x4 or 2x8.
    Thanks for the opinion on my parts list. I've been slowly tweaking from my original build and I've dropped about $400 off as well as still meeting my requirements. I've made some compromises (like no $300 27" HD monitor ), but I feel it will still work great for me and last quite a while.

On another note, one of the simplest things has been confusing the crap out of me... Power supply: right now, I've got an ~$50, 600W, modular power supply on my parts list. However, aside from power usage (80+ certified) what is the major differences between a $50 power supply and a similarly spec'd, 600W modular power supply that costs $150ish? Is it worth the price increase or is a power supply a power supply?

No longer a community member.

Well the price difference between the two is $40. I would say to upgrade to it because as you grow the home premium will have a lower ceiling compared to the pro version.

It would matter between the 4x2 or 2x4 unless you plan on eventually upgrading your ram. Instead of having to replace 4 sticks, you'll just have to add 2 more to reach te 32gb. That being said you don't need 32gb, it's a luxury fr now, but in a year or 2 you might want to go down that route

As far as aid you can set it up but the easier option would be to just get an external hd on sale and just copy important things into it as stated in other posts. Just my opinion.

The options I recommended gives you room to grow and continue to upgrade for less money should you want to throw more $ into your computer later on.

+RG to everyone who's helped me out so far! (well, as much as I could give today, will give the rest tomorrow. )

The price between Home Premium and Pro is about $100 (according to pcpartpicker.com's lowest available prices). My cousin works for Dell. I'm going to see if he's got any special promotions (they often get stuff from Microsoft at discounts). Unfortunately, Windows 7 is only available to faculty through my university, but fortunately, I know a professor who may be able to get me a copy.

Edit: Checked with my university again and Windows 7 is only available as an upgrade (Pro or Ult). After reading around online, it seems like I wouldn't be able to install on a clean disk, even though I am technically eligible to purchase and install an upgrade to either of the old Windows XP laptops gathering dust in the basement or the Windows Vista desktop in the spare bedroom.

I would spend the extra money and and get a 128gb ssd instead of the 64. You will want the extra room to run the large adobe caches and databases off of. I recently have done a lot of research on ssd's and I would run all caches off the SSD and not worry too much about killing the drive. The current generation does not have any problem with dying from overuse (outside of a enterprise database server that is.) My preference on a drive would be the Plextor M3 but the crucial is fine as well. On the secondary drive I would definitely go with the WD black over the blue.

I would not recommend you go RAID. First of all a RAID 0 with two raptors is still way slower than a single SSD and has a much higher failure rate. If you go with a RAID 1 your performance will most likely not improve much if at all and you only are protected against one of the drivess dying. This is much more important on a server that is supplying information to a lot of people so it needs maximum uptime. For a home user your money and effort is better spent on a offsite backup solution that will protect you against all catastrophic loss (at least since your last backup)

Regarding that ram I do not believe that motherboard can utilized 4x4 faster than 2x8. You would be better off with the 8gb ram sticks as it would give you a cheaper upgrade path in the future if you feel you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    On another note, one of the simplest things has been confusing the crap out of me... Power supply: right now, I've got an ~$50, 600W, modular power supply on my parts list. However, aside from power usage (80+ certified) what is the major differences between a $50 power supply and a similarly spec'd, 600W modular power supply that costs $150ish? Is it worth the price increase or is a power supply a power supply?
    Here is a really good site for PSUs. JonnyGURU.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 1200W Review His reviews can answer your questions about the price difference better than I can and more expensive isn't always better but I never cheap out on a power supply. A cheap PSU (Even the good guys make them) can end up killing a mobo, HDD, etc. Modular isn't necessary unless you are a cable management nut (like me) but a good clean, stable source of power is. Just my humble opinion of course
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Showing my age....I didn't realize SSD had become cost feasible for the home consumer. When I was playing with hardware, they were still a pipe dream.

I ran RAID 0 on my box back in the day. Definite real world performance boost you can feel, but it's a hassle to set up, you double your risk of hardware failure, etc etc...but it sounds like you've done your homework there. I don't know how worthwhile it would be nowadays, with SSDs on the market.

re - monitor - You'll have to decide for yourself if that 27 incher is overkill for you or not (it would be for me....but that's me ). But remember that the monitor is likely to be the one piece of hardware that you'll keep around when everything else is obsolete. I'm still using a 19 inch CRT that is close to 10 years old, and still serves my purposes just fine. So don't skimp. If you have any thoughts about maybe upgrading in a couple of years, I'd go ahead and splurge now.

re - power supply - Besides your monitor, this is the second most likely piece of hardware that you'll keep around through a couple of upgrades. Buy more than you think you need. Don't skimp - cheap no-name brands really are garbage. I've had to replace a few failed power supplies in my time. There are differences in good ones and cheap ones - more robust capacitors, better cooling, etc.

I've built my last 4-5 systems, save money and get exactly what I want without extra crap on it...

I like modular PSUs, not a cable management nut, per se, (even though my latest case is a Lian Li and I now understand the hype) but it's still handy to just eliminated the cables you aren't using, and most of them are sleeved if they're modular.
    I use Bit-tech.net and Tom's Hardware for research and reviews, and Newegg.com for most of my components...
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. NRA Life Member 2011
    http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/de...mber=Dark+Rose

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    I ran RAID 0 on my box back in the day. Definite real world performance boost you can feel, but it's a hassle to set up, you double your risk of hardware failure, etc etc...but it sounds like you've done your homework there. I don't know how worthwhile it would be nowadays, with SSDs on the market.
    You can RAID SSD's but it's a matter of how much speed do you need and how much is it going to cost you to get it. Most consumer SSD's will transfer 350-500MB/s vs. a WD Black that averages ~85MB/s across the drive. On top of that, the extremely fast random access time on the SSD makes fragmentation irreverent. With transfer times that fast most files that most people use load to ram in less than a second. If you spent the money to add a second drive to stripe it then you would only be shaving a fraction of a second off your load time and would likely not be noticeable outside of a benchmark.

I joined the HardOCP forums and they've been very helpful so far. I was actually kind of disappointed in the response I got to my thread on Tom's. Only a few reply and one guy keeps talking about overclocking, even though I said I won't be.

Anyways, I've updated the build again...

Bumped the SSD up to a 128GB for about a $30 price increase. Debating on saving some cash on the similarly spec'd Intel Core i5-3550 (over the 3550K) since the general consensus is the 3550k is really only better if I'm going to be overclocking. Ditched the OCZ PSU for a more expensive, slightly less powerful, but better quality Seasonic unit. Debating the choice of the ASRock mobo per the recommendations on the HardOCP Forum... I will probably go back to an ASUS.

I joined the HardOCP forums and they've been very helpful so far. I was actually kind of disappointed in the response I got to my thread on Tom's. Only a few reply and one guy keeps talking about overclocking, even though I said I won't be.

Anyways, I've updated the build again...

Bumped the SSD up to a 128GB for about a $30 price increase. Debating on saving some cash on the similarly spec'd Intel Core i5-3550 (over the 3550K) since the general consensus is the 3550k is really only better if I'm going to be overclocking. Ditched the OCZ PSU for a more expensive, slightly less powerful, but better quality Seasonic unit. Debating the choice of the ASRock mobo per the recommendations on the HardOCP Forum... I will probably go back to an ASUS.
    ASrock is just Asus' budget line as it were. My last two builds have employed Asus and I've been very happy. My next rig will probably sport a ROG MoBo unless I hit the lottery the it's a eVGA SR-X board baby!

The guys over at HardOCP have given me something else to think about. The excellent picture quality and color accuracy of an IPS monitor. One of the cheapest, yet highly rated ones in a 23" by Asus coming at $240. It would put me over budget, but I'm honestly surprised I've stayed within budget for so long, lol.

The guys over at HardOCP have given me something else to think about. The excellent picture quality and color accuracy of an IPS monitor. One of the cheapest, yet highly rated ones in a 23" by Asus coming at $240. It would put me over budget, but I'm honestly surprised I've stayed within budget for so long, lol.
    An In-Plane Switching monitor is a must for photoshop. Twisted Nematic (TN) panels are just to hard to color calibrate. I have a Dell Ultasharp 24" myself and I think I got it for right at $250.00 with a 5-year warranty upgrade.

Puffer Fish with some spikes RetiredNavyIC's Avatar

Use a newer Intel chipset motherboard, with a standard SATA hard drive. Then use a SSD (60GB is good) for hard drive cache.

Read here: Link

The price between Home Premium and Pro is about $100
    Operating Systems, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Server at TigerDirect.com

Home Premium is $100 OEM
    Home Pro is $140 OEM

It is worth the upgrade for $40. 2 years down the road you will be kicking yourself for not getting it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast