Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Anybody Build Computers?

This is a discussion on Anybody Build Computers? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by m00chness Operating Systems, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Server at TigerDirect.com Home Premium is $100 OEM ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

Re: Anybody Build Computers?

Quote Originally Posted by m00chness View Post
    Operating Systems, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Server at TigerDirect.com

Home Premium is $100 OEM
    Home Pro is $140 OEM

It is worth the upgrade for $40. 2 years down the road you will be kicking yourself for not getting it.
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't looked at TigerDirect. Much cheaper than I had found.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    An In-Plane Switching monitor is a must for photoshop. Twisted Nematic (TN) panels are just to hard to color calibrate. I have a Dell Ultasharp 24" myself and I think I got it for right at $250.00 with a 5-year warranty upgrade.
    After doing some research, it looks like I should go with an IPS. And after more research, it looks like the ASUS PA238Q has gotten some very good reviews and isn't ridiculously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredNavyIC View Post
    Use a newer Intel chipset motherboard, with a standard SATA hard drive. Then use a SSD (60GB is good) for hard drive cache.

Read here: Link
    After your recommendation, I looked into this option as well. It sounds like this might be a good way to go. I've read you can expect about 80% of the performance you'd get out of just using an SSD. However, after the increased cost of going with an IPS monitor, I may forget the SSD all together and get a WD Caviar Black 1TB.

Here's what my parts list is looking like now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gv26

Looking at it, I can see why I was planning on buying an ASUS computer before deciding to build my own, lol. I guess they just build good stuff.

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

Build looks pretty solid. Do you have a Microcenter nearby? Their CPU prices are crazy low.

Closest one is in Detroit, MI. It's about 1.5hours away. I'd end up saving $20 on my CPU before tax and gas to get there. Probably not worth it, unfortunately.

No, I suppose it isn't, then. Too bad. I'll look everything over in more detail when I get home, and see if I can offer any constructive advice.

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on some parts today.

NZXT Phantom Black/Green - $96 from Amazon
    Asus P8Z77-V LE ATX LGA1155 - $145 from Amazon, $15 ASUS rebate = $130
    G. Skill RipJaws X 2x8GB DDR3 1600 - $70 from Newegg
    Seasonic 520W Modular PSU - $80 from Newegg, $12 instant rebate = $68
    NZXT Aperture M card reader - $35 from Newegg.

I'm saving a little more with cash back from Ebates on my Newegg purchases. I'll end up using all my cash back for other parts anyways, but every little bit helps. This site is nice if you do a lot of online shopping. If you want to check it out, I'd appreciate if you used my referral link (Coupons, Promo Codes and Cash Back Savings - Ebates.com). That'll help me get that IPS monitor, lol!

Newegg dropped the price of my EVGA GTX 550 Ti vid card last night, so I ordered that too.

I've still got to decide exactly which of the Intel i5's I'm going to be getting and find a good deal on it. Then I'll be able to put this thing together. I'm going to have to save up for a while to get an IPS monitor, but I've got an older one I can use until then (can't be any worse than the laptop screen I'm using now and it's horrible viewing angle).

Most of the stuff I've ordered should be here tomorrow. I'll post pics!

Power supply looks a little lean @520W. A 600W or 750W would be prepared for the future. Sorry for the late input.
    Being willing is not enough, we must do. - Leonardo da Vinci.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock View Post
    Power supply looks a little lean @520W. A 600W or 750W would be prepared for the future. Sorry for the late input.
    I had a cheaper 600W on my parts list, but went with a better quality 520W. According to one of those online power calculators, I'll be using about 380W with my current setup, so I should be good for now. So it should be enough for what I've got now, just might not carry over to a future build like you said. But I'm hoping by the time I have to replace this computer, I'll be out of college with a good job.

Yeah, but if it's an S/M12II, it has at least 40A on the 12V rail, and puts out everything it advertizes, and then some. That PSU should be just fine. If you were a big gamer, OCer, or into constant folding or something, I might worry, but for normal use, that PSU will do just fine.

Ok, so the case, power supply, memory card reader, and motherboard showed up Thursday. The graphics card Friday. I haven't ordered an SSD/HDD or CD/DVD drive yet. I haven't exactly picked out a CPU yet, lol. Probably going to go i5-3550 since I won't be needed the unlocked multiplier on the 3570K.

Knowing full well it would be a pain getting the CPU and heatsink in with the motherboard and other parts installed into the case, I went ahead and installed everything I had. What can I say, it's my first build and I was overly excited, lol!

Everything has gone smoothly so far. The case is freaking awesome looking, although bigger than I expected. There's a ton of room for expansion (and to work in it), and with all the openings to the other side panel, cable management has been a breeze so far. Only downside is the gloss black is a magnet for fingerprints. Oh well, not a big deal. I'll be installing a 140mm green LED fan for the front intake as well as a 200mm green LED on the side. I don't have the side panels on right now, but I'll get pics of it with them later.

I can't afford the IPS monitor I want yet, so I'll be using a 19" LG HDTV as a temporary solution. Or, if I can sell it for a decent price, I might be able to swing the monitor.

I still can't decide what setup I want for storage. I've already taken the HDD out of my external and installed it into one of the 3.5" slots. This will be used for my RAW files only. But I'm going back and forth between a few options:

1.) 256GB SSD (either Crucial M4, Samsung 830, or OCZ Vertex4) for applications and a 1TB HDD (probably WD Caviar Black) for storage of media files and stuff.

2.) 128GB SSD (for OS, browser, and my photoshop programs), and 2 HDDs (probably 500GB each) set up in Raid 0.

3.) Skip the SSD and use 2 1TB HDDs set up in RAID 0.

4.) Skip the SSD and RAID 0 and just use a 1-1.5TB HDD for everything but my RAW files.

Thanks again to everyone who's helped me out! I really appreciate it.

Looks good so far. Thanks for the update.

If you're having trouble affording the monitor, you can save some decent cash just going with a traditional HDD or two. Raid isn't really going to do much for you (or at least that's my opinion) unless you need it for data security. It's more convenient than an external on a day-to-day basis, but if anything goes wrong, the external saves you the trouble of rebuilding an array. It's a wash, from my perspective. Don't take my thoughts to be gospel truth or anything - I'm just an average guy who likes to keep things simple and low maintenance. Since you're looking at raid 0, I'm guessing security really isn't an issue for you. I'd never use raid 0, but again, that's just me. A big enough SSD to cover everything you have may not cost much more. If you do go with the SSD, I'd stick with Crucial or Intel. Their failure rates and performance are significantly better than other brands.

I would highly discourage you from going raid 0 particularly with standard hard drives. If one of the drives break then you loose all your information on both. The small performance gain is not worth the risk IMO. You are a lot more likely to loose your information on a raid 0 than just a single drive.

Standard RAID levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a SSD will give you huge performance gains particularly with lightroom if installed as your primary disk. If your are going to buy two standard hard drives then buy one for your large files and an external disk for backup.

RAID 0 gave me a real world performance boost that I could feel. But that was a long time ago. I haven't researched SSD at all....so I don't know how an SSD would weigh up performance-wise and cost-wise to an SSD. I will tell you this - back then, I was overclocking and gaming, I didn't keep much of anything on my HDD that I would have been overly upset about losing, and I still kept meticulous backups. I personally wouldn't fool around with RAID 0 if I kept any semi-valuable data on it.

LOL. HDDs get bigger and bigger much faster than I've ever grown into them. I couldn't fathom needing a full TB of data storage. Do you do a lot of video editing or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
    I would highly discourage you from going raid 0 particularly with standard hard drives. If one of the drives break then you loose all your information on both. The small performance gain is not worth the risk IMO. You are a lot more likely to loose your information on a raid 0 than just a single drive.

Standard RAID levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a SSD will give you huge performance gains particularly with lightroom if installed as your primary disk. If your are going to buy two standard hard drives then buy one for your large files and an external disk for backup.
    I never thought about RAID 0 that way, but it makes sense. If one drive fails, you lose all your data. And with 2 drives, that double the chances of a failure. Maybe I will just stay away from RAID, as it really is more than I'd need. Good advice, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    RAID 0 gave me a real world performance boost that I could feel. But that was a long time ago. I haven't researched SSD at all....so I don't know how an SSD would weigh up performance-wise and cost-wise to an SSD. I will tell you this - back then, I was overclocking and gaming, I didn't keep much of anything on my HDD that I would have been overly upset about losing, and I still kept meticulous backups. I personally wouldn't fool around with RAID 0 if I kept any semi-valuable data on it.

LOL. HDDs get bigger and bigger much faster than I've ever grown into them. I couldn't fathom needing a full TB of data storage. Do you do a lot of video editing or something?
    I will probably never use a full TB of storage either. But you pay a lot more per GB of storage with a 500gb than you do a 1TB, and you pay even less with a 2TB. I don't do any video editing now, maybe sometime in the future when I upgrade my DSLR though. I do however shoot RAW files, which average 12-18MB. A lot more than jpegs, but at an average of 15MB, it'd take about 70,000 to fill a 1TB drive.

So, I will probably forget about RAID, as I really don't think I'd need it and can't justify the extra cost and effort right now. Here's my thinking then:

256MB SSD ~$200 - primary disk.
    500GB HDD ~$90 (a 1TB is $10 more).
    1.5TB HDD - Already own, RAW file storage.

OR

Same 256GB SSD
    1TB for RAW and other files.
    Use the 1.5TB I have now to backup everything.

Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    ...But you pay a lot more per GB of storage with a 500gb than you do a 1TB, and you pay even less with a 2TB......

500GB HDD ~$90 (a 1TB is $10 more)
    WOW. Yeah, I agree, at only $10 difference, it would be silly not to buy the 1 TB, especially if there's any remote possibility of filling up the 500 GB.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast