Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91

Anybody Build Computers?

This is a discussion on Anybody Build Computers? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I've been getting frustrated with my laptop lately, and have been looking into building a powerful desktop. Maybe I'm asking ...

  
  1. #1

    Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar


     

    Anybody Build Computers?

    I've been getting frustrated with my laptop lately, and have been looking into building a powerful desktop. Maybe I'm asking too much for a low-mid range laptop, but I'm getting sick of it not being able to handle running Adobe Lightroom 4 and Photoshop Elements along with a browser and music player. Anyways, I've been doing lots of research and learning A LOT about computer parts and just wondered if anyone here builds their own. If so, I'll post my parts list once I get it squared away.

  2. #2

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    I do build computers and actually have parts coming in this week for a new build. Ask away. Not sure what help I can be, but let's find out

  3. #3

    Codger In Training gahdzila's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    I used to. I actually only built maybe three from scratch, but I did lots of hardware swapping and upgrading besides. Even played with water cooling. Unfortunately, I havent had my hands dirty in 5 or 6 years, so any knowledge I have about hardware is woefully out of date, so I'm no help on specific recommendations. A couple of things to point you in the right direction - buy the motherboard with the largest RAM capacity you can, and buy as much RAM as is feasible (as much as you can afford, up to whatever the newest OS's can access....I don't know what that number is now). The hard drive is one of the biggest bottlenecks in the system - so read a bunch of reviews on those and go for speed.. (they always advertise capacity but you've gotta do your homework and read reviews for speed ratings). Don't dismiss on-die cache, it's as important as processor clock speed. And, again, take my advice with a grain of salt, as it's been a while since I've researched hardware. Good luck, brother!

  4. #4

    Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    I have built a few myself. I would say since technology changes daily, a good source I've always used when it comes to components is Tom's Hardware. They even show builds based on budget as well as what you want to use it for. A really good site. IMO

  5. #5

    Nee "Tashaz" Mante's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    The last one I built about 6 months ago for my wife. They certainly get bigger than this but a very capable machine & fast. I'm no techy though, just enjoy fiddling with computers.

    Tash Made Me!!!!
    TashZilla pictures by Tashazwaz - Photobucket
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

  6. #6

    Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Allen, I will definitely be posting questions because I know there will be more.

    Clifford, thanks for the advice! I'll be going with an SSD for my OS and most likely browser and associated files and a 6.0Gb/s HDD for general storage. I'll probably get 8GB of RAM to begin with, possible add on another pair of 4's later if needed.

    Chuck, I've already been reading a ton on Tom's for about a week now. It definitely is a great site.

    Warren, that's a great looking build. But reading over your thread, I've realized I completely forgot to budget for kittens! That case looks sick. I know looks shouldn't be a big deal, but it's gotta look good. Here's the case I'm going to go with:

    Name:  41NHOqts0qL._AA300_.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  9.7 KB

    Anyways, here's my tentative parts list (just discovered this site yesterday and it's been great):
    Intel Core i5-3570K, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) - System Build - PCPartPicker

  7. #7

    Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    Allen, I will definitely be posting questions because I know there will be more.

    Clifford, thanks for the advice! I'll be going with an SSD for my OS and most likely browser and associated files and a 6.0Gb/s HDD for general storage. I'll probably get 8GB of RAM to begin with, possible add on another pair of 4's later if needed.

    Chuck, I've already been reading a ton on Tom's for about a week now. It definitely is a great site.

    Warren, that's a great looking build. But reading over your thread, I've realized I completely forgot to budget for kittens! That case looks sick. I know looks shouldn't be a big deal, but it's gotta look good. Here's the case I'm going to go with:

    Name:  41NHOqts0qL._AA300_.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  9.7 KB

    Anyways, here's my tentative parts list (just discovered this site yesterday and it's been great):
    Intel Core i5-3570K, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) - System Build - PCPartPicker
    A great site for custom builds is Performance-pcs.com

  8. #8

    Alpha Puffer Fish nikonnut's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    I've built my last 4. Kind of like cigars I would sign up on various forums and ask lots of questions. I'm kind of out of the loop as the tech changes so fast but the new technology is amazing and a screamer of a box can be done for less than a grand these days depending on you requirements. Keep us posted and good luck! It's a lot of fun and very satisfying when it posts on the first start up

    P.S here's my latest build.


    Warren,
    That's a good looking box you built, sir!
    Last edited by nikonnut; 09-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

  9. #9

    MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    Chuck, I've already been reading a ton on Tom's for about a week now. It definitely is a great site.
    Eh, Tom's used to be good, a while ago, but it's not the best by a long shot. The guys at hardocp are generally the best, IMO, in that they strike the best balance between good knowledge and approachability. Most guys aren't crazy overclockers anymore, just a mixed group with a lot of knowledge.

    I've built every computer I've owned since 1998, and have built many for other people. I've only built one machine in the last 3 years (just this past Christmas), so I'm not quite as up to date as I usually am, but I'd also be happy to field any questions. Oh, and with RAM prices being what they are, just buy 16GB now and be done with it. You'll be glad you did.*

    *If your MB can support 4 RAM sticks. The 2x8GB packs still seem to be overpriced.

  10. #10

    Alpha Puffer Fish nikonnut's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    Allen, I will definitely be posting questions because I know there will be more.

    Clifford, thanks for the advice! I'll be going with an SSD for my OS and most likely browser and associated files and a 6.0Gb/s HDD for general storage. I'll probably get 8GB of RAM to begin with, possible add on another pair of 4's later if needed.

    Chuck, I've already been reading a ton on Tom's for about a week now. It definitely is a great site.

    Warren, that's a great looking build. But reading over your thread, I've realized I completely forgot to budget for kittens! That case looks sick. I know looks shouldn't be a big deal, but it's gotta look good. Here's the case I'm going to go with:

    Name:  41NHOqts0qL._AA300_.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  9.7 KB

    Anyways, here's my tentative parts list (just discovered this site yesterday and it's been great):
    Intel Core i5-3570K, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) - System Build - PCPartPicker
    Just a suggestion. I would not put the browser on your SSD. Too much paging going on and the read/writes kill SSDs. I have a SSD (crucial 128 ) and a pair of 1tB WD caviar blacks in RAID zero.SSD for boot, etc and I keep all my DLs, browsers, etc on the Raid array. Just my $.02.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

  11. #11

    Alpha Puffer Fish nikonnut's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brettanomyces View Post
    Eh, Tom's used to be good, a while ago, but it's not the best by a long shot. The guys at hardocp are generally the best, IMO, in that they strike the best balance between good knowledge and approachability. Most guys aren't crazy overclockers anymore, just a mixed group with a lot of knowledge.

    I've built every computer I've owned since 1998, and have built many for other people. I've only built one machine in the last 3 years (just this past Christmas), so I'm not quite as up to date as I usually am, but I'd also be happy to field any questions. Oh, and with RAM prices being what they are, just buy 16GB now and be done with it. You'll be glad you did.*

    *If your MB can support 4 RAM sticks. The 2x8GB packs still seem to be overpriced.
    +1. Toms is kinda behind the times Now this is my personally opinion and if you look at my GPUs you'll label me a fanboy but eVGAs forums are a fantastic resource! I've asked LOTS of questions and always gotten good advice and info from kind folks. Make good stuff too if you like nVidia ( and that's another can of worms )
    Last edited by nikonnut; 09-01-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

  12. #12

    MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed that. Tom's staff seem to be either behind or unable to write a bad review of a big product (adding to the ad income, perhaps?), and their forums have too large a percentage of, if I may state this kindly, ignorant persons. I'd steer clear.

  13. #13

    Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Thanks guys, I'm going to check out some other forums as well. When I was first researching mostly questions about how things worked and different terms, etc. Tom's came up a lot in Google searches. And since a lot of what I was looking at didn't have anything to do with the most recent technology, the older posts at Tom's were very helpful. I haven't really read much on there about newer stuff though.

    This has been a fun and informative process so far. I'm really looking forward to finalizing my parts list and starting my build. Don't know when I'll have enough cash for sure (probably should stay off CBid ), but I'll post pics as I go.

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    Just a suggestion. I would not put the browser on your SSD. Too much paging going on and the read/writes kill SSDs. I have a SSD (crucial 128 ) and a pair of 1tB WD caviar blacks in RAID zero.SSD for boot, etc and I keep all my DLs, browsers, etc on the Raid array. Just my $.02.
    I haven't heard that before. I will definitely look into this. Or maybe just skip the SSD all together.

  14. #14

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Pc looks good to me

    The only difference is I would go 2x8gb on the ram. It's an investment because you will eventually crave a 32gb system and will have to replace all the 4s anyways.

    Also make sure you are running win7 64 bit pro or better. The others only go to 8 and 16g ram max

    I just purchased the same processor and think its the he's for the money. I am also doing a ssd for os/video games so smart move there. Are you using this pc for gaming or just daily use?

  15. #15

    Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar


     

    Re: Anybody Build Computers?

    Allen, thanks for letting me know that! No one had brought that to my attention. I was planning on running Home Premium (64-bit), and it supports 16GB of RAM. 16gb is more than I need now. I'll look into the 64-bit Pro, but I don't know if I can extend the budget for it over Home Premium.

    Are there any performance differences between running 4x4gb and 2x8gb? I've done a little research on this and some seem to think so, others say its so insignificant it doesn't matter.

    My biggest concern with this computer is being able to handle mutlitasking. Running both my Adobe Photoshop programs (LR4 and PSE), browser, music player, etc. all together. I don't do a lot of gaming. And occasional game of LoL here and there with my friends who are big gamers.

    I've been looking into setting up a RAID array instead of going with a separate SSD. That would give me faster performance and give me redundancy to keep all my important school files and stuff safe (depending on RAID type). I'd just want to go with 6.0gb/s HDDs, so I'd need a mobo that can take 3 of them for RAID 5...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •