Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Build Thoughts.

This is a discussion on New Build Thoughts. within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Here is a list of what I am considering. Bear in mind I am not a serious gamer but play ...

Thumbs up New Build Thoughts.

Here is a list of what I am considering. Bear in mind I am not a serious gamer but play some FP RPGs like Mass Effect. I plan to hook this up so the boys (5yo & 9yo) can kick my ass! LOL.

I am not a MMORPG type of person as I have little time to dedicate to that type of game. I would appreciate any input that is positive.

Intel Core i5 3570K (Clocked to 4.6 GHz)
    Asus P8Z77-V-LX Motherboard
    Cooler Master 812 CPU Cooler (Twin Fanned)
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper CM Case
    TX 750W Corsair Power Supply
    Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9 Ram, 4 x 4GB
    GTX 560Ti Graphics Card
    LG DVD RW Drive
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata 3
    OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128GB

Any info is welcomed but I would ask your reasoning behind the info.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

I'm watching you.

Re: New Build Thoughts.

Have you considered a smaller solid state hard drive for your operating system and most games, and then storing regular applications on a separate smaller drive? I only ask because while Sata is great, 1TB is still a PITA to defrag...
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar

Daaaaaaaaaamn! Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jphank View Post
    Have you considered a smaller solid state hard drive for your operating system and most games, and then storing regular applications on a separate smaller drive? I only ask because while Sata is great, 1TB is still a PITA to defrag...
    I agree on the defrag PITA issue. My thinking runs to this setup as in Tash's we are running a 60G SSD for windows as C: drive & a 128G SSD for data storage. Both are filling up way to fast & it's an even bigger PITA cleaning C: drive all the time to keep a substantial cache area free. I may just drop the second drive down to a 500Gb as I really do not use that much storage. Thanks for the input.

I'm watching you.

I have 2 500s in my machine, and I use a networked 2TB drive for movies, photos, videos, and documents for the whole house to use. I really like the set up!
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Quote Originally Posted by jphank View Post
    I have 2 500s in my machine, and I use a networked 2TB drive for movies, photos, videos, and documents for the whole house to use. I really like the set up!
    Nice. I also use a 2TB NAS server to store movies, music etc. We barely use a DVD or CD any more as the whole home theatre can access the NAS.

I'm watching you.

Yep! Every computer and dvd player in the house pulls off the NAS. Plus, I can pull off the NAS with my smartphone, woot!

If you're going to spend 70 bucks on a cooler might as well spend a little more and get a better one. I would get a Corsair watercooling kit. Also Seagate is trash and a large amount of their products fail at some point. Look into Western Digital or Samsung. I have 3 Samsung F3 drives in my current machine and have used them in every computer I have built. I would one of these over Seagate every time. Also if you have not looked into Asrock motherboards you should, they are owned by Asus and make better boards in my opinion for the money. I use Asrock boards and they are the best bang for you buck boards out there and have many features you might not find in a cheaper Asus board. So below are 3 items I would grab instead. If you need more technical information about your build or computers in general please send me a PM and I can answer your question if need be.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Llacrossedude7 View Post
    If you're going to spend 70 bucks on a cooler might as well spend a little more and get a better one. I would get a Corsair watercooling kit. Also Seagate is trash and a large amount of their products fail at some point. Look into Western Digital or Samsung. I have 3 Samsung F3 drives in my current machine and have used them in every computer I have built. I would one of these over Seagate every time. Also if you have not looked into Asrock motherboards you should, they are owned by Asus and make better boards in my opinion for the money. I use Asrock boards and they are the best bang for you buck boards out there and have many features you might not find in a cheaper Asus board. So below are 3 items I would grab instead. If you need more technical information about your build or computers in general please send me a PM and I can answer your question if need be.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    I would agree on the all in one W/C set-up. I have the H70 on my core i7-950 and at 4.0 GHz ive never busted 75C and that was 100% load running intel burn test for 24 hours strait! What? I like my OCs stable if you can fit an H100 I think you would be very happy and it will be very quite. As for Asus, I just had my P6T7 WS bite the bullet. The reason? While Asus says that board can handle 3-way SLi they fail to mention that there are no provisions for supplemental power to ease the load on the PCI-e slots. The result when running 3 GTX 480 superclocked GPUs is a fried 24 pin connector. My bad to be sure but a cheap little adapter or the molex plug that their stock pic on the website shows would be nice. New MoBo is a eVGA FTW3 with the necessary supplemental power. Just my opinion and Asus does make fine boards but learn from my lesson Lastly, +1 on the WD cavair black HDDs and you might want to look at Crucials SSDs. Of the 2 SSD brands I've dealt with the Crucial has been a dream. No issues flashing firmware, good trash collection, and it just works. Good looking build, sir!
    Last edited by nikonnut; 09-28-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

I thank you for your input so far. I will dig a little deeper into the suggestions given & weigh up my options.

Barracuda gets turfed off the list so far & I already have the cooler.
    Last edited by Tashaz; 09-28-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

Sounds good to me as well! I do agree about looking into an SSD. I went with a 256GB M4 and love it. Boot times are wicked fast; Windows can't even get through the little loading animation before it loads the log in screen. You can pick up a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 for well under $1.00/GB when they go on sale.
    Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.

Already planing on an SSD for boot drive, as I listed in the OP. Now the Seagate has been given the ass I may just look at a second SSD as well. You buggers are enablers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Already planing on an SSD for boot drive, as I listed in the OP. Now the Seagate has been given the ass I may just look at a second SSD as well. You buggers are enablers!
    A 1TB HDD with a 64MB cache and SATA 3.0 is pretty damn fast in its own right. Take the extra monies and upgrade to a 6xx GPU

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    Take the extra monies and upgrade to a 6xx GPU
    With you lot on board there is never going to be any "extra monies".

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    With you lot on board there is never going to be any "extra monies".
    Just trying to share the (financial) pain, er, joy of building your own. Me, I want 3 GTX 670s so that's , uhm, multiply by 12, carry the 3. Ah! Ramen for the next 3 years!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast