Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Need Help with iTunes...

This is a discussion on Need Help with iTunes... within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hey guys, So about a week ago my motherboard popped and a replacement wasn't available so I grabbed another X58 ...

Need Help with iTunes...

Hey guys,
    So about a week ago my motherboard popped and a replacement wasn't available so I grabbed another X58 board (OMG! Those are OLD!) I was running dual boot (win7 and OS 10.7.4) and all my music, comics, movies, etc were on OSX. So, is there any way to transfer my stuff over to a Win7 install? I have a copy of MacDrive installed so I can see the drive and I just need some advice. Thanks in advance
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

Re: Need Help with iTunes...

Apple makes it tough to add songs from an iPod to iTunes, but I don't think from iTunes to iTunes is hard at all. You should be able to use Apple's method of backing up your iTunes library, which can be used to move your library to an external or secondary HD (I'm doing that as I don't need my 16GB of music on my SSD). Don't know if this will work across OS's on the same HD though. You might have to move to an external with OSX then from the external to Windows. Then tell iTunes the final location to use in Windows.

Here's how I moved mine to my secondary HDD: How to Use iTunes On An External Hard Drive
    Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.

No longer a community member.

Pretty sure that you carn hunt down your iTunes music library folder.. the individual tracks are in there in a separate folder inside.
    Select the drive>users>you>music>itunes music library>all your tracks. those files are yours as you see fit (digital copyright managed files do carry over to a MS version of iTunes.) So just drag and drop them into a backup drive, and then import them to your iTunes app in Windows 7.

Thank you, both It was a pretty strait forward deal. Installed iTunes in Windows, deleted the iTunes folder, copied said folder from the OSX drive, copied all the iTunes Media folders over, and hey presto! Done. The only added step was relocating where iTunes stores the media. Few clicks of the mouse, the SSD is empty again, and nothing is lost. Super happy. RG for you both

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar

While this may be late and useless for you, thought I'd write this down in case someone searches for it in the future.
    Here are the methods i have used to copy items.

Mac OSX (10.7 or later for sure maybe .6 since) to WIN 7 & vice-versa with External Storage Device
    1. Format external to exFAT
    2. External now reads with any of the two OS (win or mac)
    3. Transfer Data over to external

iPhone/iPod to Computer (No Jailbreak req)
    [Music Only]
    1. Get program iPhone to Mac/iPhone to PC
    2. Install & run
    [Other Data]
    1. Get program iExplorer
    2. Install & run
    Source: Macroplant - iPod, iPad, iPhone Transfer Software for Mac and PC

Burn Data Discs using DVD's or Blu-Ray's
    1. Use any burning utility/program to copy over data

I have heard/experienced some programs like macdrive messing up the entire OSX partition leaving the only solution as reformatting the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    While this may be late and useless for you, thought I'd write this down in case someone searches for it in the future.
    Here are the methods i have used to copy items.

Mac OSX (10.7 or later for sure maybe .6 since) to WIN 7 & vice-versa with External Storage Device
    1. Format external to exFAT
    2. External now reads with any of the two OS (win or mac)
    3. Transfer Data over to external

iPhone/iPod to Computer (No Jailbreak req)
    [Music Only]
    1. Get program iPhone to Mac/iPhone to PC
    2. Install & run
    [Other Data]
    1. Get program iExplorer
    2. Install & run
    Source: Macroplant - iPod, iPad, iPhone Transfer Software for Mac and PC

Burn Data Discs using DVD's or Blu-Ray's
    1. Use any burning utility/program to copy over data

I have heard/experienced some programs like macdrive messing up the entire OSX partition leaving the only solution as reformatting the drive.
    Great info! Thank you. For me the only issues was that when the MoBo blew I was forced to use hardware that doesn't play well with Lion (I was running a Hackintosh BTW) so Mac Drive was my only option as I don't have any friends with Macs...
    Last edited by nikonnut; 10-07-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    Great info! Thank you. For me the only issues was that when the MoBo blew I was forced to use hardware that doesn't play well with Lion (I was running a Hackintosh BTW) so Mac Drive was my only option as I don't have any friends with Macs...
    ohhh yeahh, then I guess thats kinda all you had to choose from then haha.
    love the hackintosh! i kinda want to make one, but they never play nice with updates and shit.

Here is another good program I have used before to.
    Its legit. I used it when one of my hard drives was failing.
    I believe its also good if you accidentally wipe a hard drive clean.

Data Rescue 3 for M
    Data Recovery Software, Hard Drive Data/File Recovery Software - Windows/Mac - Products