Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Affordable home NAS system

This is a discussion on Affordable home NAS system within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hi guys, any recommendations on affordable home server/NAS systems. Wanting a 2-3 bay could be used as a backup centre ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Affordable home NAS system

Hi guys, any recommendations on affordable home server/NAS systems. Wanting a 2-3 bay could be used as a backup centre or media sharing device. Had a look at Netgear's line, seem OK but I don't have any expereince with the home user end of the market.

Cheers.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Re: Affordable home NAS system

I use a Cisco NLSU2 NAS device. Its an older unit but does the job for me. Mine only has 2 slots but I have 2 - 1TB drives and all PC's in my house write to one of them. I then back up the one to the other on a weekly basis. All my kids music, videos, games, pictures etc are stored there with no issues. There are several other options out there like the Addonics NAS adapter but I have been very happy with the performance of my Cisco device.
    ďA good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

I'm watching you.

I bought a Seagate integrated unit, and I think it was just under $175 for 2 TB.

For me, I was more concerned with functionality and the response time from the NAS when I dialed in from outside. WD's system was way too slow when I tried it through a friend's network, but this one seems good.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Maturing Puffer Fish

This might sound a little controversial, but I'll explain. I used to have a WHS box made by Acer. I liked it, I just thought there were some limitations that weren't ideal, and with MS moving to WHS2 (and changes there I *really* hated) I decided to look at other alternatives.

In the end, I built my own. I had most of the parts laying around, but even if you don't, they are super cheap (you don't need something crazy powerful for a server). I was also a complete linux noob but installed Amahi anyway. It was a breeze. Yes you need to know some "techie" stuff, be comfortable learning commands and typing them in, etc. What I have now is a server with 5 drives, about 7TB of storage, it runs SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, and uTorrent, my data is regularly backed up by Crashplan, I also for important shares have drive mirroring turned on (so that the data resides on 2 physical drives instead of just one, in case of fault). The only real cost was the cost of the drives.

If you're a DIY guy you might look into it. I love mine.

Young Puffer Fish

I was in the market for a dedicated nas... But then i changed my mind last minute and decided to go with an HP Proliant NL40 Microserver. 4 x 2TB HD and using FlexRaid. So I have 6tb of usable space and 1 parity drive. Sickbeard, SABNZBD, couchpotato. Small 80GB intel SSD (overkill) as the O/S drive (WHS 2011).

I'm glad I went this route instead of a dedicated nas, the flexibility alone of this server is worth it. Plan on using vmware on it. The microserver can be had for $250 when on sale.

No longer a community member.

The problem with having games or programs on these back up servers or media devices is that when you put them back on, the registry lines are usually all corrupted or don't work well from my experience, and while I have no trouble editing a registry, that's not something most people know or want to do.

For everything else, they tend to work great.

I'm watching you.

I could build my own... I'm just too lazy...
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins