Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

This is a discussion on Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Is this possible? I am using an older macbook Early '09, and I am running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 & ...

  
  1. #1

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar


     

    Question Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Is this possible?

    I am using an older macbook Early '09, and I am running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 & Win 7 Ultimate SP1. Right now I have like a 65/35 split w/a 120GB HDD. I predominately use OSX, but I am trying to use both OS's just for knowledge and comfort purposes.

    I have come to realize after setting it up I have very little space left on my Win7 partition (right now it says 0 bytes free out of 40 GB). I have an external HDD with 100GB that I can isolate for Win7, but I can't find a way to do this.

    Anyone with enough knowledge or sources for this?

  2. #2

    Fish Stick ssrobbi's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    Is this possible?

    I am using an older macbook Early '09, and I am running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 & Win 7 Ultimate SP1. Right now I have like a 65/35 split w/a 120GB HDD. I predominately use OSX, but I am trying to use both OS's just for knowledge and comfort purposes.

    I have come to realize after setting it up I have very little space left on my Win7 partition (right now it says 0 bytes free out of 40 GB). I have an external HDD with 100GB that I can isolate for Win7, but I can't find a way to do this.

    Anyone with enough knowledge or sources for this?
    In my current knowledge, I do not believe you can boot it using bootcamp on a mac from an external hard-drive.

    Windows is pretty user friendly though, If you're looking to learn more, try out linux. It's open-source and everything's free
    Word of the Day: | Innocuous - having no adverse effect

  3. #3

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Thanks.

    Thats pretty much all I can find online.

    I would have hoped someone figured out a workaround for this tho.
    Mac's let you install the software on an external, i don't know why a Windows wouldn't.

  4. #4

    Fish Stick ssrobbi's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    Thanks.

    Thats pretty much all I can find online.

    I would have hoped someone figured out a workaround for this tho.
    Mac's let you install the software on an external, i don't know why a Windows wouldn't.
    How To Install Windows 7 On USB Flash Drive or External Hard Drive

    maybe try this out? it installs windows 7 directly on the external hard drive.
    Word of the Day: | Innocuous - having no adverse effect

  5. #5

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    good find.
    I will have to try that when I have a large block of time open again.
    Thanksgiving break needs to come already....

  6. #6

    Fish Stick ssrobbi's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    good find.
    I will have to try that when I have a large block of time open again.
    Thanksgiving break needs to come already....
    haha, you have no idea how much I agree
    Word of the Day: | Innocuous - having no adverse effect

  7. #7

    Leading Puffer Fish Johnpaul's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    If you do get that to work I hope your external drive is USB 3.0 or eSATA. USB 2.0 as a boot drive would be painfully slow. Have you looked into just running win7 in a virtual machine. If you go the virtual machine route you could have the windows 7 on an external without all the fuss.

  8. #8

    Fish Stick ssrobbi's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
    If you do get that to work I hope your external drive is USB 3.0 or eSATA. USB 2.0 as a boot drive would be painfully slow. Have you looked into just running win7 in a virtual machine. If you go the virtual machine route you could have the windows 7 on an external without all the fuss.
    I would also agree the virtual machine is a better idea. I didn't suggest it, only because I don't know of any free virtual machine software that can run from a usb for mac. But I'm sure if you searched the internet you could find something to do it.
    Word of the Day: | Innocuous - having no adverse effect

  9. #9

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    I honestly didn't even bother to think about data transfer speeds. But with my POS Early '09 MacBook its all slow in the end, and im quite patient. I just wanted the entire internal to be Mac Only.

    I have a virtual machine program, its the newest VMware for 10.8 & Win8 ready (i think? idr) The only thing I don't like about it is with a low 4GB of RAM and a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo its not the most fun thing to run on here!!! Especially when multitasking!!!! I just need to get a new machine entirely......

  10. #10

    Fish Stick ssrobbi's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    I honestly didn't even bother to think about data transfer speeds. But with my POS Early '09 MacBook its all slow in the end, and im quite patient. I just wanted the entire internal to be Mac Only.

    I have a virtual machine program, its the newest VMware for 10.8 & Win8 ready (i think? idr) The only thing I don't like about it is with a low 4GB of RAM and a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo its not the most fun thing to run on here!!! Especially when multitasking!!!! I just need to get a new machine entirely......
    haha, you'll always need a new machine. When I bought mine, I put in extra money for more ram, processor speed, and graphics card...all of those things are now about standard...It's only been 2 years :P
    Word of the Day: | Innocuous - having no adverse effect

  11. #11

    Leading Puffer Fish Johnpaul's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    swapping out the internal hard drive for a bigger one and leaving it dual boot might be something for you to consider if you had not. If you think the virtual machine is slow then you will find running windows on a slow external drive unbearable.

  12. #12

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
    swapping out the internal hard drive for a bigger one and leaving it dual boot might be something for you to consider if you had not. If you think the virtual machine is slow then you will find running windows on a slow external drive unbearable.
    This would be the best option, but I don't want to spend money on a very outdated laptop when I probably plan on getting a new one soon. I'm kinda constricted to sucking it up or moving the virtual machine on the external. We'll see what I end up doing. I don't really need Win 7 it was kinda more so for getting comfortable again with windows since it's been so long. Like 5+ years since I've used a PC. The last Win OS ik well & owned was XP. My On-Campus Job is ITS Student Tech, and we started phasing from Win XP to Win 7 this summer, so now I need to know the small changes from one to the other. Even tho I am debating upgrading the partition to Win8 for shits and giggles haha. We'll see.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssrobbi View Post
    haha, you'll always need a new machine. When I bought mine, I put in extra money for more ram, processor speed, and graphics card...all of those things are now about standard...It's only been 2 years :P
    Seriously! I remember when I first got this laptop is was actually decent. Now it seems so archaic! Especially when I upgraded its RAM from 1GB to 4GB! I thought it was sooooooo amazingly fast! Not so much anymore.....

  13. #13

    Fish Stick ssrobbi's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    This would be the best option, but I don't want to spend money on a very outdated laptop when I probably plan on getting a new one soon. I'm kinda constricted to sucking it up or moving the virtual machine on the external. We'll see what I end up doing. I don't really need Win 7 it was kinda more so for getting comfortable again with windows since it's been so long. Like 5+ years since I've used a PC. The last Win OS ik well & owned was XP. My On-Campus Job is ITS Student Tech, and we started phasing from Win XP to Win 7 this summer, so now I need to know the small changes from one to the other. Even tho I am debating upgrading the partition to Win8 for shits and giggles haha. We'll see.



    Seriously! I remember when I first got this laptop is was actually decent. Now it seems so archaic! Especially when I upgraded its RAM from 1GB to 4GB! I thought it was sooooooo amazingly fast! Not so much anymore.....
    lol, I upgraded my ram from 4 to 8. Now most mid to high end laptops come with 8 gb standard :P
    Word of the Day: | Innocuous - having no adverse effect

  14. #14

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar


     

    Re: Bootcamp Windows 7 on an External HDD

    damn electronics outdate themselves too fast.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •