Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anyone Upgrading to Windows 8?

This is a discussion on Anyone Upgrading to Windows 8? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Tashaz Windows 8? I only recently upgraded my accounts computer from 98SE to XP because of a ...

Re: Anyone Upgrading to Windows 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Windows 8? I only recently upgraded my accounts computer from 98SE to XP because of a new printer and I refuse to do it again.

Which version are you using Terry?

Howdy Warren!

I have Fedora, Ubuntu & Linux Mint on here, but honestly spend 95% of the time in about Fedora & about 5% in Ubuntu, and run the Gnome desktop.

It works well for what I need it for. Plus the price is very agreeable!

Ubuntu is probably more user freindly, but Fedora was my first and Im still happy with it.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

No longer a community member.

Except they don't play games very well!

Maturing Puffer Fish

I want to goof around with it on someone else's PC first. I'm not super worried about it, and I do think it's the right step for Microsoft. I actually supported Windows 95 as a Microsoft employee way back when... Windows 8 is easily as big a jump ahead as 95 was.

I'm also running a Linux server (Amahi, specifically, on Fedora) on my home network. I'm a bit beyond a tinkerer with Linux but not far. Far more comfortably with MS stuff.

Just punched his B-Card!

I'm going for it. Everything I've read that isn't just opinions makes me want it. It's fast, light, and sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dude65 View Post
    The criteria they use dto rate the OS is somewhat insulting to me. I think I now have less respect for that magazine.

Just punched his B-Card!

Quote Originally Posted by Draepheus View Post
    The criteria they use dto rate the OS is somewhat insulting to me. I think I now have less respect for that magazine.
    What criteria would you have used? They're a fantastic publication, and I've always found their reviews to be informative and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dude65 View Post
    What criteria would you have used? They're a fantastic publication, and I've always found their reviews to be informative and helpful.
    The tendency for confusion, especially when it was actually tested by current and young students and kids, should of been a much higher mark AGAINST the operating system. They should of removed processing speed, code arrangement, registry access, and above all, whether it would even fit into most people's styles.

Quote Originally Posted by cartey View Post
    Oh no! Which way are you going?
    Likely a Macbook. Or to presently save costs, Linux on an Intel system. I'm MCP, Net+ A+ blah blah blah ... I'll load Lion or Leopard or Ubantu or whatever doesn't scare me. I've run IIS aside Apache with RedHat clients and hybrid networks with Samba servers. Might be fun getting back to some of that stuff.
    I just have to divorce myself a little more from MS Office and spend a little more time with open source imaging software. , ( I need a paint substitute ) libre office, and Open Office. Just saw a MS tablet commercial so still a little up in the air. The market certainly is on the move. I don't see big clumsy desktops in homes within another 5 years. Only Industry.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

I wouldn't go near it until after the first service pack upgrade..

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

I was looking forward to this release till I read that article, Jessica. Touchscreen on a PC really isn't for me. And why in the world would you need accelerometer and gyroscope capabilities for PC??? All i see are more chances for glitches and bugs. Add in all the cross compatibility they tried to put in (yes TRIED. I'll believe it works when people start raving about the functionality.), that I have no use for (PS3 and 2 Androids in my house) and I become even more skeptical and hesitant. They add all this new crap and aren't even sure about their backwards comparability? Not encouraging.
    Hangin' out with Friends

As an IT person, I have no choice but to run this on a laptop. Being left behind or without knowledge in this ever changing field is not an option. Luckily I have a laptop from work that I use to test windows 8 enterprise. So far I like it, I like it a lot. No issues with anything as of yet. Running office 13 on it as well, and it appears to be very stable. I will try to update this post with potential issues I find. The laptop I am running this on is an EliteBook 8460p.

Moose
    Moose is my name and cigars are my thing!

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    I was looking forward to this release till I read that article, Jessica. Touchscreen on a PC really isn't for me. And why in the world would you need accelerometer and gyroscope capabilities for PC??? All i see are more chances for glitches and bugs. Add in all the cross compatibility they tried to put in (yes TRIED. I'll believe it works when people start raving about the functionality.), that I have no use for (PS3 and 2 Androids in my house) and I become even more skeptical and hesitant. They add all this new crap and aren't even sure about their backwards comparability? Not encouraging.
    You dont need to have a touchscreen, also the accelerometer and gyroscope are more for tablet use.
    Moose is my name and cigars are my thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan_Moose View Post
    You dont need to have a touchscreen, also the accelerometer and gyroscope are more for tablet use.
    I'm digging your new avatar lol.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about its quad core functionality, intense graphic compatibility, and high video program functionality.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan_Moose View Post
    Exactly. I have no use for the software that runs those functions so I'd rather not have the software. Just more things to screw up.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast