Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anyone Upgrading to Windows 8?

This is a discussion on Anyone Upgrading to Windows 8? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I've been considering purchasing a Windows 8 upgrade when it releases Friday, but am not sure. I like the Metro ...

Just punched his B-Card!

Anyone Upgrading to Windows 8?

I've been considering purchasing a Windows 8 upgrade when it releases Friday, but am not sure. I like the Metro interface and the quicker boot times. I'm also excited for the integration of the Xbox/PC/tablet/phone that 8 allows for, but I'm not sure yet on if I should pull the trigger or not... Anyone getting it? If so, why?

Puffer Fish with many spikes Dubv23's Avatar

Re: Anyone Upgrading to Windows 8?

Ill be getting it. I have had alot of time to play around with Windows 8 in retail. I own apple products primarily but have a media center that is my main portal for anything TV, movies, pictures, and internet.

The Live tiles of the start screen will bring my fantasy football, my media center, tv guide, and anything else i need in a nice TV friendly interface.

The Gestures are nice, the interface is great (i.e. Full screen internet Explorer) and since its the only operating system to get me excited about a windows release i feel like i must buy it.

I'm watching you.

No, no, and hell no.

I will hold out as long as possible.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Just punched his B-Card!

Quote Originally Posted by jphank View Post
    No, no, and hell no.

I will hold out as long as possible.
    LOL! Why, why, and hell why?

I'm watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dude65 View Post
    LOL! Why, why, and hell why?
    In a nutshell, this.

Until developers have learned the ins and outs of W8, I'm not going to pigeon hole myself into an operating system with an identity crisis worse than Win 3.1 trying to be dos and GUI.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Just punched his B-Card!

In a nutshell, this.

Until developers have learned the ins and outs of W8, I'm not going to pigeon hole myself into an operating system with an identity crisis worse than Win 3.1 trying to be dos and GUI.
    Hmmm, not sure how that would affect me... I do most gaming on the Xbox, so I probably wouldn't notice it...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

Not a chance.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Just punched his B-Card!

But why, Dave? I've heard completely opposite opinions from all sides...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

When there is this much debate and questions and back and forth about an OS, it is best to stay with what is already proven.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Just punched his B-Card!

Damn, I just don't know... I mean, for $40, you can get the full Pro package on Amazon... That's awfully tempting for a day one upgrade... Plus, to me, anyways, Metro UI is super sexy. I also like the streamlined-ness(?) of it.

In a nutshell, this.

To be fair, you're wrong here. Win 3.1 was a GUI that ran on DOS, 95 is what incorporated DOS into it and kinda sucked, then the lovely 98 was heaven, with ME sucking, XP pwning, Vista being a fail of sorts, then win7 taking the cake. I'm expecting win8 to be fail by the pattern.

Just punched his B-Card!

Have heard that theory, but that's really just a guess. I need facts, people!

I'm watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcz View Post
    To be fair, you're wrong here. Win 3.1 was a GUI that ran on DOS, 95 is what incorporated DOS into it and kinda sucked, then the lovely 98 was heaven, with ME sucking, XP pwning, Vista being a fail of sorts, then win7 taking the cake. I'm expecting win8 to be fail by the pattern.
    I stick to my guns on my point, but everything else I agree with you

I'm not because I don't see anything compelling about it. It seems to me that it will just be an upgrade for people who have windows tablets (I'm guessing about 2% of the tablet market) and is mainly a way to try to integrate their phones (another failed product) and the xbox (which I don't own) I like windows 7 but I still don't find it to have anything special enough to bother upgrading any of my Win XP machines with.

Just punched his B-Card!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpaul View Post
    I'm not because I don't see anything compelling about it. It seems to me that it will just be an upgrade for people who have windows tablets (I'm guessing about 2% of the tablet market) and is mainly a way to try to integrate their phones (another failed product) and the xbox (which I don't own) I like windows 7 but I still don't find it to have anything special enough to bother upgrading any of my Win XP machines with.
    Okay. So now I'm thinking I will, but might wait. I plan on getting a Surface because they are sweet, and I think MS nailed that, and I already have the xbox, so W8 seems like it would be for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast