Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

A little tablet advice.

This is a discussion on A little tablet advice. within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer. My laptop recently bit the dust, and after much ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

A little tablet advice.

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer.

My laptop recently bit the dust, and after much consideration I have decided that i want to replace it with a tablet. I generally just use it for internet browsing and answering quick emails. All of my "real" work is done via a desktop, (at home and work) so this will be purely for entertainment purposes.

What I want...

Android OS preferably Ice Cream Sandwich, but will take Honeycomb.
    16 GB or higher memory
    Dual Cameras ( if i found a smoking deal I could possible do with only a webcam)
    9 inch screen or bigger

Other than that I am not too picky. I basically want something that will allow me to surf the internet fairly quickly, play simple android games (songpop, angry birds, slotmania) without a lot of lag, and allow me to answer a few emails. I would like to stay under $350, i know this is pushing it, but wanted to see if there were any options I was missing.

Any opinions are welcome...

T.W.

Re: A little tablet advice.

If you are only looking for the forward facing camera, since you mentioned webcam, rather than a rear facing one I think the Nexus 10 that comes out next week is right up your alley. It may have both, but for certain it will have one for video chatting. ICS is so 6 months ago, that baby will come with Jelly Bean right out of the box (JB = awesome on the Nexus 7). I think the intro price will be in that $350 range too but don't quote me on that.

For what you want to do, and if you had the Nexus 7 and 10, I think you would grab the Nexus 7 more. They are coming out with a new one of those and dropping the price on the existing ones. You could get the 16gb for probably $200. I think the new one will be 32gb and maybe a HSPA+ version? Samsung is making the 10, while the 7 is made by Asus. Lots of cool stuff coming out right now, enjoy the one you decide on.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

I would suggest the ASUS Transformer TF300 T - sells for $350 on Amazon. Check it out... I have the TF201 and my wife has the TF700 but those two are a little pricier.

10.1-inch WXGA IPS capacitive pressure-sensing multi touch display for brilliant HD entertainment and intuitive navigation. 178 degree viewing angle (1280 x 800).
    Powered by NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-core processor for best web experience with up to two times faster browsing, hardware accelerated Flash, and console-quality gaming
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS with Adobe Flash support and over 500,000 downloadable applications on the Android Market.
    32GB flash storage, micro SD card slot and micro HDMI port for easy sharing & expandability.
    Front (1.2MP) and rear (8MP) cameras for face-to-face video chats and on-the-go video and picture capturing.
    Optional Docking station with QWERTY keyboard adds additional 5 hours of battery life, to instantly turn the Transformer into PC mode with up to 15 hours of battery life. 1
    Ultra-slim and light (.39" thin and 1.4lbs light) with stylish swirl design.
    "A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."

Young Puffer Fish

Honestly either the Asus as mentioned above or the Nexus 7. Those are the best Android tablets. Your next best option is an iPad.

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by penguinshockey View Post
    I would suggest the ASUS Transformer TF300 T - sells for $350 on Amazon. Check it out... I have the TF201 and my wife has the TF700 but those two are a little pricier.

10.1-inch WXGA IPS capacitive pressure-sensing multi touch display for brilliant HD entertainment and intuitive navigation. 178 degree viewing angle (1280 x 800).