Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BSOD Help

This is a discussion on BSOD Help within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; A friend of mine was complaining cause her laptop blue screened a couple time last week. She's definitely a get ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

BSOD Help

A friend of mine was complaining cause her laptop blue screened a couple time last week. She's definitely a get on, type homework, browse the internet computer user, so I offered to take a look at it.

My first question was has the antivirus picked anything up? She says it expired about 8 months ago and she didn't think it was that important. So I first downloaded AVG Free and Malwarebytes. Halfway through my first scan, it blue screened again. Booted in safe mode, ran AVG in safe mode, found and removed 4 trojans. Rebooted in normal mode, ran Malwarebytes.

Thinking that was her problem, I set up AVG for weekly scans and told her to run a full Malwarebytes scan every few weeks. A couple days later, another BSOD...

I'm decent with computers, but don't really know where to go from here. Any suggestions?
    Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.

I'm watching you.

Re: BSOD Help

Did you run Safe Mode without network support? That usually helps. I even unattach any hard wire RJ-45 cable to be safe.

I really prefer NOD32 for virus protection, it doesn't slow anything down in the background and gets better updates than AVG and Norton.

And really, when in doubt, back up and restore. If you have a problem after that, you know it's hardware related.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

No longer a community member.

I have a very good friend that is a computer wizzard............no really, it's what he does for a living. He owns 3 different stores in 3 different towns.

I asked him about the BSOD and he told me that usually, that happens because some of the drivers are out of date and they may not be playing well with other drivers.

Basically, make sure your drivers are up to date.

I had the same problem a while back. Updated drivers and no more BSOD.

Used a program called Slim Drivers.

Its free to download and use.

Give that a try!

(also, everyone has their own fav anti virus. AVG used to be decent, now I have been told by my friend that it is junk. He told me to use Avast Free.) I like it

I'll try this again since there is a mystery button on this stupid laptop that deletes everything I type. And I type so fast I don't know what it is. Thanks Bill.

Anyway, BSOD operates off the HAL which is the hardware abstraction layer. So check your drivers, as somewhat hinted below, however avoid using " driver detectives" if you can.
    remember nothing is free. Anyway "fatal exception" errors are generated from software, BSOD is hardware. If you can run in SAFE mode, it's a hardware issue. If you have any extra RAM around, ( like the old "pull" from an upgrade) pull the memory and replace. If still no good, check your drivers. Remove your video driver in control panel and then reboot and let Windows "refind" it. Actually go to system restore in safe mode, and select a previous system snapshot from a date safely before your errors started happening.

Sorry if this makes no sense I have people over here so good luck bro

I'll look into some other anti-virus options on my desktop, since AVG does seems to be declining in popularity some.

I told her to bring her laptop to class tomorrow and I'll take another look at it. Without using a "driver detective" how would I go about finding and making sure they're all up to date?

Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming though in case it isn't a driver issue.

Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    I'll look into some other anti-virus options on my desktop, since AVG does seems to be declining in popularity some.

I told her to bring her laptop to class tomorrow and I'll take another look at it. Without using a "driver detective" how would I go about finding and making sure they're all up to date?

Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming though in case it isn't a driver issue.
    Run the service tag/ If it's a dell or HP there will be a sticker that says service tag. . Or go to the manufacture site and under support, search the model. . It will list the configuration of the unit and Identify your hardware. ( in a list ) Support / Downloads/ should have the current drivers. You download, extract, and run them. Some install with a wizard, some you just extract the .inf file and then you go into device manager, and point to the inf file you just just downloaded. You can also run Microsoft update. A lot of times they contain driver updates. In fact, sometimes, that's where the problem starts. However A driver that worked on Friday should not be causing trouble on Monday. Still the easiest thing to do is swap out the RAM . ( with the right kind pc2800 DDR II etc) or run the system restore. Especially if you need a 3rd party wizard to update drivers. But to tell you the truth, if your not comfortable with my techniques, then download Slimdriver or whatever Huskers is talking about. But he's right It's likely hardware or their drivers.

If you want other ideas, go into CMOS/BIOS and check your system clock. If it is not current, then your laptop CMOS battery died, Then it is possible your BIOS reset, and your hard drive was using a custom non-default drive setting like SATA MODE instead of COMPATIBILITY mode. Saw that recently.
    Last edited by Bondo 440; 11-06-2012 at 10:03 PM.

The first thing I would check is the Ram. I would recommend you download memtest86 and make a bootable CD or thumb drive and let it run at least three passes. If the Ram tests out okay I would run a scan on the hard drive with the program supplied by whoever its manufacturer is. I think a fault in either of those is much more likely in this scenario than with a driver going wonky. Although you can swap out ram it is not the best test as it will not catch a situation where a ram slot goes bad not the stick plus you don't have to wait for a intermittent blue screen to come back. I have seen this situation more than once and personally I find running memtest less of a hassle.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo 440 View Post
    I'll try this again since there is a mystery button on this stupid laptop that deletes everything I type. And I type so fast I don't know what it is. Thanks Bill.

Anyway, BSOD operates off the HAL which is the hardware abstraction layer. So check your drivers, as somewhat hinted below, however avoid using " driver detectives" if you can.
    remember nothing is free. Anyway "fatal exception" errors are generated from software, BSOD is hardware. If you can run in SAFE mode, it's a hardware issue. If you have any extra RAM around, ( like the old "pull" from an upgrade) pull the memory and replace. If still no good, check your drivers. Remove your video driver in control panel and then reboot and let Windows "refind" it. Actually go to system restore in safe mode, and select a previous system snapshot from a date safely before your errors started happening.

Sorry if this makes no sense I have people over here so good luck bro
    Actually, It is free. No popups,no spam in your email,No free trial,.............. no BS. I have been using it for over a year with nothing bad to say about it.

Slim Driver is a great program IMOP.

1- Yeah mem test would work. RAM was my first suggestion. I usually have sticks at the bench so swap out .. that's just the easiest for me.
    2- If you have driver scan software that isn't full of spyware go ahead and use it.

good luck

Well, I've still got the mem test sitting on a jump drive on my desk. This is how the rest of the week went.

Wednesday:
    - Me on Tuesday: Hey bring your laptop to class tomorrow, I've got a couple other things I'd like to try.
    - Her: Okay.
    - Her in class Wed: Oh crap, I forgot it...

Thursday: no class together.

Today:
    - Her: brought my laptop today.
    - Me: ... $%$@! forgot my jump drive! DOH!
    I could've checked the drivers, but a group of us stayed pretty busy working on homework...

So Monday for sure! I'll post back then.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar

As for an antivirus I have come to find sophos really good. My school hands it out for free. I wouldn't be surprised if you all could snag it from our Oxy ITS webpage.

+1 for the memtest. It would also be much easier if you could get your computer for the weekend and just pound out stuff. I image that BSOD turned her off from her comp anyways, so she probably has found a way to not use it ever.

my guess is what i go for on all laptops first 1. check for high temps caused by lint blocking the air ways 2. test ram and hdd for errors that are normally caused by overheating from the vent being clogged

The blue screen has been coming more frequently, but now it blue screen before windows even starts.

I've got her computer at my house, and can't get memtest to work. Made a bootable USB flash drive via PowerISO. Switched boot order in BIOS and it just keeps skipping the USB and booting from the HDD. I did however run the built in memory diagnostics and it says its fine. Is this a reliable test?

Started windows back up in safe mode and I got another blue screen. Doing some reading, this apparently means it's not a driver issue (correct?). Was going to run the HDD test from BIOS, but it estimated it at over an hour to do it. It'd be quicker to swap my laptop HDD in there and see if it works.

True if it's bluescrrening in Safe mode as well it is not a driver, however still hardware. and remember your HDD is hardware
    AS far as Booting from USB if BIOS is set to load from USB it should. Test that USB to see if it is bootable on another system.

Crap at this point just put a differend HDD in it and reload Windows and see what happens.
    Or try different RAM.
    Kitty Litter Convert #KL1245

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo 440 View Post
    True if it's bluescrrening in Safe mode as well it is not a driver, however still hardware. and remember your HDD is hardware
    AS far as Booting from USB if BIOS is set to load from USB it should. Test that USB to see if it is bootable on another system.

Crap at this point just put a differend HDD in it and reload Windows and see what happens.
    Or try different RAM.
    I'll see if the USB will boot on my laptop. It is pretty old, been on a keychain for years and beat to hell. Could be working improperly.

I don't have any spare RAM, unless my laptop uses the same as hers. I'll swap out the HDD for my recently wiped and reinstalled laptop HDD and see if it'll work.

Running chkdsk after restarting right now too, per the recommendation of a tech support website.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast