Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me choose a Ipad please.....

This is a discussion on Help me choose a Ipad please..... within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Okay fellas, looking for some advice. My wife has expressed a huge interest in wanting a Ipad for Christmas. I ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Help me choose a Ipad please.....

Okay fellas, looking for some advice. My wife has expressed a huge interest in wanting a Ipad for Christmas. I know absolutely nothing about I-anything. I've been one to always shy away from the "I" craze. I've always been a big fan of the android stuff. So I really need a little help.

Her family mainly has apple products (most are graphic designers) and they swear by them but I can't trust them to not say anything to her. What appeals to her is her family does a lot of chatting on face time. So mainly this is what it's going to be used for in the beginning. I'm leaning towards the 16g Ipad 2, the wifi one. Now is it really worth it to get the better one??

Please help me with this as I'm looking at getting it within the next couple days..... Thanks in advance for your time.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Help me choose a Ipad please.....

My daughter has the 32 GB one if that's the one you a referring to. She loves it its only $100 more than the 16 GB one at best buy.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Stay away from an iPad 1. My family got me one when I was laid-up sick. Very slow wi-fi. Most YouTube stalls, stutters, or fails. No camera.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Dubv23's Avatar

Is she going to use it for more than FaceTime? Maybe photo taking, editing, or anything?

Both the new ipad and ipad mini have HD FaceTime camera. (Much better clarity)
    Better, dual band wifi for faster internets
    And the 10" is like 4 times as fast... So any sort if document editing, PDF reading, photo editing will be smooth. My Mini which is essentially a ipad 2 is much slower than my 3rd generation was at just opening PDFs

My vote is for new.

also consider how quickly apple comes out with new iPads. There has been 4 In just about 2 years. The new iOs is built to work around the new products generally leaving those with older generations without some key new features or it slows them down considerably

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

Really depends on what she wants to use it for and for mainly face timing, I would go with a Ipad 2 16gb like you had mentioned. Actually, I would go with the refurbished one directly from Apple. You can get one with a 1 year warranty for around $340 shipped.

The newer ipads with the retina display have a better image, “supposedly” faster wifi, and faster processor. I’ve seen Youtube videos where the 2 and 4 are compared and there was virtually no difference in internet speed.

If you have the cash, I’d say get the new Ipad, but I don’t think she would be disappointed with the ipad2. I just bought a refurbished Ipad 2 myself. I went that route because all we use it for is surfing the internet and the kids play games on it.

Well I guess I need to clarify here a little bit. I'm looking at the ipad 2 in the 16g hard drive size. The two I am flipping coins over are the regular ipad 2 and the one with the retina display. I would imagine, for now, she will be using it for face time but as time goes on and she becomes more familiar with it she will use it for pictures, appointments, calendar, emails etc etc.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader max gas's Avatar

I got my wife the 16GB iPad 2 last year for Xmas. It is the wifi only model. She uses it for Internet & FaceTime. My daughter uses it to play games and watch Disney shows. We've never had a problem with it and it does everything that we need it to.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Chech apple.com for a refurbished iPad 3.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Get the IPad.. Don't get the mini. If you want the mini you might as well just get an iPhone!

No need to get any other than the Wifi model... 99.9% of places you will use your iPad have Wifi! I'd they don't like a car for Instance just use your phone!
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Twerking ain't for Smurfs Packerjh's Avatar

My wife has the iPad 3 or "new" iPad in 16gb...she LOVES it and her only complaint is the HD size...she wishes she had the 32gb model. The new iPad is a significant upgrade over iPad 2 IMHO due to the upgraded display and cameras...
    Just one little Smurf against the world....I feel sorry for you World! BOOM, suckas!

Quote Originally Posted by Packerjh View Post
    My wife has the iPad 3 or "new" iPad in 16gb...she LOVES it and her only complaint is the HD size...she wishes she had the 32gb model. The new iPad is a significant upgrade over iPad 2 IMHO due to the upgraded display and cameras...
    So, how or why is the hard drive being used up so quickly? Just wondering because I've heard from more than one person to get the bigger HD.

Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar

IMO- if her family is a bunch of I-heads, it would be who of you to get the latest and greatest iPad 3. Otherwise your wife's family might see you as a cheapskate. Just saying.

I just did the refurb ipad 2 16gb for my wife for Christmas. All 4 of my kids have the same one, including one who uses it (I don't know how) for her college classes. Seems to do the trick for our use.
    “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

Puffer Fish with many spikes Dubv23's Avatar

Hd space gets used quickly because of info saved from applications, data you put on it, and application size itself.

If you decide to go with the retina consider the fact that all apps, photos, and everything is dated to accommodate a higher resolution screen resulting in a much larger file size.

Plus some apps/games you download are larger once they are installed for some reason. I got a game that was supposed to be 500 mb but was 1.7 GB's installed

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I'm useless here, I grabbed two of the HP Touchpads when they were blown out at $150. Has the couple of Apps I need, can do .mac/.me/icloud mail, has a couple of RDP clients and can print PDFs to any HP printer on any network you connect with.

As to the IPAD, every time I think about it, a new model comes out and while you can't get it right then, the old model suddenly looks well.....old....dated....slow. By the time you can get it off the shelf, the urge is gone.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast