Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone

This is a discussion on Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I have owned both iOS and Droid OS now, even at the same time. All I can say is ended ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar

Re: Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone

I have owned both iOS and Droid OS now, even at the same time. All I can say is ended up hating droid so much b/c of the amount of bugs and crashes I dealt with. I had at least 10 forced system restores within 6 months of owning the droid. While it has improved dramatically since the pre-ice cream sandwich days, i still feel that they are not up to par with reliability. I quit after 8 months in my contract and went with an iPhone.

The one thing i HATE about apple is the big brother-like restrictions, and the crappy thing is in terms of hardware anything apple will never be the newest/best/most-up-to-date ever but you can count on it always working. The one thing I do believe is great with iOS is a jailbroken (JB) iDevice. It will beat anything hands down any day! I LOVE my iPhone 4s JB on iOS 5.1.1. I get the best of both worlds: 1.) An OS/device that always just works and 2.) the customizability of that OS to my preference. If I do install any tweak that doesn't work/causes a crash it boots into safe mode, I uninstall, and im back to normal. Its simple to figure out, and will be about the same learning curve you get when switching OS's

Honestly, I'd go with an iP5 and JB iOS 6 asap. While this is still impossible at the moment, the devs literally only need 1 exploit and it'll be done with. If not, it'll still be a better option to me b/c of the amount of apple products I do own.

I guess it'd be worth it to check out the newer mobile OS of Win 8, but I didnt like the one before it much and I don't care for the tablet experience of the same OS either (But i dont like tablets in general).

As for the flash issues, there are definitely 3rd party web browsers that allow flash and function like they say. Never had much of an issue with flash stuff, but i guess I hardly need it. (Sidenote: The Chrome for iOS is my favorite!)

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    I have owned both iOS and Droid OS now, even at the same time. All I can say is ended up hating droid so much b/c of the amount of bugs and crashes I dealt with. I had at least 10 forced system restores within 6 months of owning the droid. While it has improved dramatically since the pre-ice cream sandwich days, i still feel that they are not up to par with reliability. I quit after 8 months in my contract and went with an iPhone.

The one thing i HATE about apple is the big brother-like restrictions, and the crappy thing is in terms of hardware anything apple will never be the newest/best/most-up-to-date ever but you can count on it always working. The one thing I do believe is great with iOS is a jailbroken (JB) iDevice. It will beat anything hands down any day! I LOVE my iPhone 4s JB on iOS 5.1.1. I get the best of both worlds: 1.) An OS/device that always just works and 2.) the customizability of that OS to my preference. If I do install any tweak that doesn't work/causes a crash it boots into safe mode, I uninstall, and im back to normal. Its simple to figure out, and will be about the same learning curve you get when switching OS's

Honestly, I'd go with an iP5 and JB iOS 6 asap. While this is still impossible at the moment, the devs literally only need 1 exploit and it'll be done with. If not, it'll still be a better option to me b/c of the amount of apple products I do own.

I guess it'd be worth it to check out the newer mobile OS of Win 8, but I didnt like the one before it much and I don't care for the tablet experience of the same OS either (But i dont like tablets in general).

As for the flash issues, there are definitely 3rd party web browsers that allow flash and function like they say. Never had much of an issue with flash stuff, but i guess I hardly need it. (Sidenote: The Chrome for iOS is my favorite!)
    AWESOME bro!
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar

this might be the only reason I'd want to buy/play with a droid again.

Ubuntu for Android | Devices | Ubuntu

Ubuntu for android. I can't wait for their own full OS release on a phone.
    It'll be interesting to see.

I like the navigation interface on my Droid Razr Maxx. It took some getting used to but now I feel I am overall more capable with an android system. Iphones are easy for little kids to manipulate. Put an android in their hands and see how they react. I just like the level of settings, customization, and freedom that I have with android.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Hi,

I am not a smart phone kinda person. I have always carried a tough phone. My current one I love is the motorola quantico. First tough phone I've ever had that didn't look like a big banana.

With that said, the least problem non-appple phones are the Samsung Droids, but recent rumors that Samsung may fork the android system (similar to what Amazon did with the Kindle Fire) means that it is better to wait a short time and see how their activities shake out before considering a move in that direction.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

You guys are great!
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

I would tend to favor the Apple device. Until IBM sold off their laptop division to Lenovo, I always carried a thinkpad for my notebook. After IBM sold off their laptop division, I went thru a series of other laptops before I started with the Apple MacBook Pro (After they got Intel Chips). The build quality on the Apple laptops is the close to IBM quality as I have found. (Hardware wise.) Early on, I never booted into Apple OSX, using my notebook mainly in Windows XP. In recent times, I run Mac OSX with virtual editions of XP, Vista, 7 and 8 loaded for support purposes.

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Android Galaxy S2

GREAT PHONE!! Have yet to have a single problem and it is very user friendly and dont need to be supertechsavy guy to use it and its apps.

No bugs to worry bout that I know of or that Ive had either.
    #KL2154

Quote Originally Posted by Mason16Filz View Post
    Android Galaxy S2

GREAT PHONE!! Have yet to have a single problem and it is very user friendly and dont need to be supertechsavy guy to use it and its apps.

No bugs to worry bout that I know of or that Ive had either.
    If you are talking specific models of Samsung, that one is one of the best. However, until Samsung either forks the droid OS or quits toying with the idea, if you don't have to get a new phone, probably best to wait six months before leaping. (Of course, I am probably not the best authority since I still carry a tough phone............)

Off to Cigar bum. com jhedrick83's Avatar

I have both an IPhone 4(that I use for business) and a Droid Pro(that I use for personal use). Yes apple can be a bit restrictive on their products and may lack some features, like the near field communication(the ads where they put phones back to back and transfer files), but my IPhone is much more reliable and much more stable.

Samsung Galaxy S2 from US cellular the specific model of it. I think its great. I had 2 smartphones before this and they were ehh!! not great difficult to do things on them.

This is a good size!!! not too small not too big, not too thin not too thick.
    #KL2154

Samsung Galaxy S2 from US cellular the specific model of it. I think its great. I had 2 smartphones before this and they were ehh!! not great difficult to do things on them.

This is a good size!!! not too small not too big, not too thin not too thick.
    Hi Mason,

You have US cellar up where you are? That is my carrier down here and the main reason I have not been tempted by an iPhone (Since they do not offer it). In my area, they have the best coverage of anyone and Iphone on the other carriers down here would be worthless in some of the areas I travel into regularly.

BEST COVERAGE OF ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no doubt about that.

Yes sir, up in Wisconsin we have US cellular.

My family and myself have had US cell as far back as when they were Cellular 1.
    #KL2154

BEST COVERAGE OF ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no doubt about that.

Yes sir, up in Wisconsin we have US cellular.

My family and myself have had US cell as far back as when they were Cellular 1.
    I have had them forever also. When work put my first analog cell phone from them in my truck, I thought it was a joke. I went out and here was this handset wired into my dash. That seems like a lifetime ago. But one thing has not changed they are by far the best coverage in my area.

HAHAHA im WAY to young to remember old phones like that!!

Ive been on many Road Trips for college baseball and travel baseball (Canada, Florida, Kentucky, New York, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania) and...guess what??

I had plenty of coverage/service while other teammates were mad cuz they had none or very little. Most of them had AT&T and Verizon.
    #KL2154

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast