Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone

This is a discussion on Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm old school. I'm rarely more than 10 miles from wifi. Use an ipad1, & a Tracfone. But my jacket ...

Re: Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone

I'm old school. I'm rarely more than 10 miles from wifi. Use an ipad1, & a Tracfone. But my jacket has 23 pockets, one of which was designed to hold an iPad.

Scottevest.com

No affiliation, just really happy with my 23 pocket jacket. They make various items loaded with pockets & don't look clunky. Each day, they offer a particular item for 20% off.

Dunno if discounts can be stacked (or if the Xmas code "HOHO20" is still valid).

Channels built in to route earbuds. Can carry a beverage, snacks, cigars & gear, iPad, a few magazines, phone, radio, still have unused pockets.

I really like mine.

Joe
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Mason16Filz View Post
    HAHAHA im WAY to young to remember old phones like that!!

Ive been on many Road Trips for college baseball and travel baseball (Canada, Florida, Kentucky, New York, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania) and...guess what??

I had plenty of coverage/service while other teammates were mad cuz they had none or very little. Most of them had AT&T and Verizon.
    Yeah, phones like that are relics of the past. I have never been anywhere that I did not have coverage. Things were a little spotty during the Analog to Digital change over, but I still had better coverage with USC than anyone else had with other carriers. USC is the only carrier in my area that covers 95% of the outer banks.

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

USC is the only carrier in my area that covers 95% of the outer banks.
    Amen to that George!!

If I went anywhere in Wisconsin Im sure I would have plenty of service to make calls, text, tweet, etc. with no problems.
    #KL2154

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Mason16Filz View Post
    Amen to that George!!

If I went anywhere in Wisconsin Im sure I would have plenty of service to make calls, text, tweet, etc. with no problems.
    To sort of tie our slight detour on the thread back to the main subject, I think what we have been saying in this little side thread is that the carrier matters much more than the choice of phone. Neither of us would change from our carrier to get an iPhone. On our carrier (USC) their is the option of the Samsung Galaxy which is the best smartphone relative to our carrier.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I'm an iPhone user getting ready to switch myself. Before getting iPhones, I used mostly the old Windows Mobile phones. They required non stop tinkering and daily reboots to keep them running. Fiddled with Blackberry. I loved the keyboard and the messaging was great, but it just couldnt hang with the other smartphones at the time. Had a brief flirtation with an Android phone, bad experience, but that was due more to the hardware than the software. Had a couple of iPhones (and other iOS devices), curretly using a Verizon iPhone 4. Pros are it never really needs any tinkering, they just work right out of the box. Doesnt matter if you're a 3 year old, a 103 year old, or whatever, pick it up and you will have it figured out in minutes. But iOS has gotten stale, and the once innovative iPhone is now just playing catchup with Android and Windows Phone 8. I'm probably going to go with a Galaxy S3, but if Nokia releases their Lumia 920 for Verizon, I may give that a chance.

I just recently switched from an Android to the iPhone 5 and I can't wait to go back to an Android. Its not that the iPhone is a bad phone. Its OK and does what its asked to do, but I don't like the limitations on modification. I "Rooted" my android making it a super powerful device. As of yet there is no Jailbreak for the iPhone 5, so maybe when that's available it will change my mind.
    ďA good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tumadre99's Avatar

Marcm15: its almost here!!! I've been waiting for this JB SOOOO BAD!

planetbeing and pod2g are there basically done. They need like 1 more thing and its finished.

it really does make the iPhone incredibly better.

I own/use both the iPhone and Droid (HTC One S).
    It all boils down to personal preference.
    One advantage to the Droid, it has more free apps.
    As far as function, I like them equally.

The Apple product that I use constantly (even making this post) is the iPad.
    IMO, that's a "can't live without" product!
    In all fairness, I've never tried a windows based pad, they may be just as good or better.
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Young Puffer Fish

Honestly no. The iPhone is very stable, and while Android is open source the one I had before the switch constantly was crashing apps. Wasn't good when trying to make it "mine" when apps would close and revert back. It's a great concept but the open source killed it imo.

Young Puffer Fish

I agree with Jeremy Howard, at least in the earlier days when Android and its open source was in its infancy. The Android has improved by leaps and bounds over the years, and devices like the Samsung Note II are actually very usable, provided the hardware is fast enough to keep it running at optimum speeds.

I recently migrated from the iPhone 4 to the Samsung, and while I enjoy using my new Android device very much, I have to admit that the iOS is still more stable and user-friendly in many ways. I would still recommend the iPhone to anyone looking to upgrade to a smartphone.

Debug 8: Grant Paul aka chpwn | iMore.com

check out this interview with a well known jailbreaking developer. its incredibly interesting and talks about whats good and whats bad with iOS as well as the jailbreaking scene.

with the new jailbreak out i'd still say buy iPhone!! if you arent tech savvy and have little patience dont bother jailbreaking tho.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tumadre99 View Post
    if you arent tech savvy and have little patience dont bother jailbreaking tho.
    That would be me Oscar
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Puffer Fish with many spikes nfusion770's Avatar

I consider myself tech selfish, I only use what works for me. I have Apple, MS and Android stuff. Love the ipad- Android tabs are alright and I really don't have any interest in the MS tabs at this point. Love my Android phone (except the cracked screen)- like iphone too but couldn't live without swype. Love my macbook, but have some pretty expensive software on my PC and like customizing (and I am not splitting my processing power with parallels or rebooting between programs). That said, my next desktop will probably be a mac when I can justify upgrading adobe suite and some other stuff.

My whole point- we live in a time where there is tons of great tech around. Everything will do most of what anyone needs it to. Fanboys live in a world of big ego and denial as if their self worth is tied to a brand- it's silly. Apple makes great products and a cozy ecosystem. Android is more flexible and multitasks better. MS has more options, software and to many is the standard. Tech is a tool- like a hammer- use what feels good to you.

End of Manifesto
    He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

Quote Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
    That would be me Oscar
    haha
    honestly tho, patience is really the biggest thing.
    You can always learn to be more tech savvy but if you have no patience that will be quite the roadblock to get over...

Young Puffer Fish

Oh, but I forgot the title of this thread is "Someone give me a good argument to switch from my iPhone". Just comes to show how attached we are with our iOS devices. OK let's see, let's count the ways...
    1. Most useful apps come free by default on the Android.
    2. Open source and no sandbox environment allows you more freedom and flexibility on the Android, if you're into tech stuffs and mod.
    3. Expandable memory with microSD card slot on the Android
    4. Removable battery, if you cannot stand your batteries being sealed in as in the iPhone
    5. iPhone can be too user-friendly (not a fault, Apple has grannies to think about), giving the tech-savvy ones amongst us the feeling like we're playing with something from Fisher-Price.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast