Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Anyone use Magic Jack for phone?

This is a discussion on Anyone use Magic Jack for phone? within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; If so, what are the details? tia...

Anyone use Magic Jack for phone?

If so, what are the details? tia

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Anyone use Magic Jack for phone?

I use it for a back up plug it in your computer and go!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Twerking ain't for Smurfs Packerjh's Avatar

I use it in place of a landline...have used it for the past 3-4 years and plan to continue. My only complaint is that sometimes I get an echo. Usually a restart of the system fixes it.
    Just one little Smurf against the world....I feel sorry for you World! BOOM, suckas!

Thanks for the info!

Young Puffer Fish

I had it for a while, but the software crashed a lot. Granted this was like 4 years ago. It's worth trying anyway just because of the price.

I use one for a land line. It's stupid cheap and perfect for how little it gets used. Just keep in mind that you probably want a high bandwith connection. It seems less efficient than skype or something comparable.

Full grown Puffer Fish madmarvcr's Avatar

I used Magic Jack for awhile but seemed to crash more than I liked. Then switched to OOMA, the upfront cost for the OOMA device is a little more expensive, but much more reliable than MJ.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

I have been using it since it first came out with very little issues with the first version no issues with the second version. A good fast PC & connection helps a lot. My biggest issue is that it will automatically shut off after an hour and a half. Sometimes I need to do a reboot if I haven't shut my PC down in a week or more....other than that it has saved me a lot of $$$.

My fiance used this service when she was in Guatemala on a mission trip. Without it I don't think we would have been in touch because it was the only service in the village. I'm thankful for it and even though it would drop our calls every now and then it still got a few "I love you/miss yous" in.

Sounds like it works...most of the time. Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm on my cell phone for the time being till I get a new house then will give it a try.