Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Chromecast- DO IT!!!

This is a discussion on Chromecast- DO IT!!! within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; If you're unfamiliar with the Google Chromecast, do yourself a favor and buy it. I managed to hunt one down ...

Chromecast- DO IT!!!

If you're unfamiliar with the Google Chromecast, do yourself a favor and buy it. I managed to hunt one down a few weeks ago. $35 for a Netflix and YouTube natively streaming device that plugs into an HDMI slot.

There are some hiccups: 1. Buffering issues occasionally 2. You must have a PC or Apple OS 10.7 to set it up currently. 3. The quality isn't that great considering the 25mbps I get from Comcast. 4. Did not want to work with the Comcast router (thankfully, I own an Airport and created a new network). 5. Netflix and YouTube are the only native streaming services (you can "cast" a tab from your Chrome browser, but the quality depends on your computer's abilities for any other feeds).

Here's why it's perfect for me: I have my nice electronics in the living room, but I had this 20" tv in my room with nothing getting to it. Comcast recently turned off the analog signal sent along with the digital and I don't want to rent another box for $10/mo. I already have netflix and an iPhone (also known as a Chromecast remote now). Look, I always lose remotes, but my phone is glued to me day and night. This thing is still in beta and for $35, I'm willing to sacrifice a little quality on my second tv. It's only going to get better and for the low cost involved, I'd recommend it to anyone with an extra HMDI port on an underutilized tv.

Re: Chromecast- DO IT!!!

Another good idea if you have an extra HMDI port and older unused laptop you can connect the two the stream everything chromecast can but a whole lot more (i.e. surfing Twitter, Facebook etc., playing DVD's). While I like the chromecast a lot there is so much more you can do with an old laptop and TV for pretty close to the same price. Most people usually have an old laptop laying around they really don't using anymore so it might be a second option to consider. A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to hook a laptop up to a TV these days.

Young Puffer Fish

Re: Chromecast- DO IT!!!

I use a Roku for my streaming needs. It does all that the Chromecast will do, and more. I will concede that it does cost more, but you can get some good deals on them. I have rarely encountered any issues with buffering or image quality. One of the big benefits for me is that you can search across most services for a TV Show/Movie, making it easy to find what you want.