Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

iPhone 5S and 5C

This is a discussion on iPhone 5S and 5C within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So they announced the new iPhones today, and I was wondering if anyone here was looking forward to getting either ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes JKlavins's Avatar

iPhone 5S and 5C

So they announced the new iPhones today, and I was wondering if anyone here was looking forward to getting either of them. I'm not trying to instigate an android vs ios battle here, I'm just wondering what you guys think.

I've been raised on Apple/Mac products since I was little, with the AppleIIe and performas and all that. I've had an iPhone since the 3G (apple replaced it with a 3GS for free for some reason) and for full upgrade reasons I skipped the 4 and got a 4S. Now I skipped the 5 and plan on getting the 5S. I'm not just some trend hunter, I use them for 70+% of my business, with credit/debit card transactions and on-site event sales, emails, documentation and even designing and file sending.

I guess bottom line is: Is anyone else excited about these?

Full grown Puffer Fish liquidicem's Avatar

Re: iPhone 5S and 5C

I use the 4S for work now and am looking forward to the upgrade. More so the OS upgrade, but a newer phone will be nice as well.

well we all get the new iOS in 8 days, so im looking forward to that too. Like they said at the event "it'll be like having an entirely new phone"

I sure hope so. Some of the new features are going to be true upgrades.

What do you think about the fingerprint reader in the home button?? I never used a passcode on any of my phones, and I really dont leave it out anywhere public. I think the other features will be cool, with payments and verification and all that , but locking my phone was never a priority.

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

there's simple changes that I'd like them to make, have it not sending message alerts while on a call, ability to set a pass code via the lock button would be a good start
    There's no time to explain get in the

I never set a passcode, so what happens if you don't have it, or you forgot it? What if someone pranked your phone by setting a passcode and not telling you?
    I wonder how they can get around the possibility of the fingerprint scanner not working of what if it goes out? How will you get to your phone?

Also not receiving notifications during calls would be key. Is there nothing in the settings? I've never checked hah

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Im not an Iphone fan myself but you cant bet your bottom dollar that there will be people with the first 5 in line at midnight the day before they hit the shelves to get the next release. Ive always been one to go with the last release of everything as soon as the new one comes out, that's if I need a new phone. I'm still using a crackberry torch that was free with the contract as soon as a new release came out. It makes phone calls, does enterprise email, has a map app with POIs for when Im on foot in a city, app for the weather, and everything else I need. I wont be upgrading it until it takes a crap.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

If it works well, I think it is great. I have to keep my phone locked with a passcode for work.

no way to turn notifications off during calls and no setting it to vibrate isn't cutting it. I also don't know if I'll get another iphone, or any other apple product. really upset with their lack of CS

Puffer Fish with some spikes waltah's Avatar

There is a passcode backup in case of failure to read similar to Android's face unlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKlavins View Post
    I never set a passcode, so what happens if you don't have it, or you forgot it? What if someone pranked your phone by setting a passcode and not telling you?
    I wonder how they can get around the possibility of the fingerprint scanner not working of what if it goes out? How will you get to your phone?

Also not receiving notifications during calls would be key. Is there nothing in the settings? I've never checked hah

Quote Originally Posted by [OT] Loki View Post
    no way to turn notifications off during calls and no setting it to vibrate isn't cutting it. I also don't know if I'll get another iphone, or any other apple product. really upset with their lack of CS
    I've only had good customer service from apple. Like I said I had the 3G and the battery was worn, so they ended up giving me a 3GS. Then my 4s shattered the first week I had it and they replaced it for free without adding a strike to my AppleCare+. Then after my arm got screwed up and I was in the lake with my phone, they replaced it for $50. After a week I realized the wifi switch was greyed out (like as if it was not an option) and they gave me another one for free, even though they said it was an issue with my backup file and so I lead to start from scratch.

What's funny though. My only issue with their CS is that there is another Janis Klavins in Canada, I know him, and he's my friend. Apple gave home the same apple ID and email, so I get emails when he gets repais or contacts apple. They said that they would clear it up, but I still get the emails and I'm worried they'll send his stuff to me when they ship his electronics

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liquidicem View Post
    If it works well, I think it is great. I have to keep my phone locked with a passcode for work.
    Yep, same here. Have to have it locked. Even though at times its a PITA at times because its locked after 5 minutes of no use and the passcode has to be changed every 30 days without using any of the previous 10 passcodes.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Yep... My contract always ends in Sep.. So every 2 years in sep/oct I get the new S model... Time to sell my 4S 32G White... Looks like their going for $250-350 on the bay!!!

I'm still assuming they will let the grandfathered people still get a new contract with unlimited data... anyone know?
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Quote Originally Posted by JKlavins View Post
    I've only had good customer service from apple. Like I said I had the 3G and the battery was worn, so they ended up giving me a 3GS. Then my 4s shattered the first week I had it and they replaced it for free without adding a strike to my AppleCare+. Then after my arm got screwed up and I was in the lake with my phone, they replaced it for $50. After a week I realized the wifi switch was greyed out (like as if it was not an option) and they gave me another one for free, even though they said it was an issue with my backup file and so I lead to start from scratch.

What's funny though. My only issue with their CS is that there is another Janis Klavins in Canada, I know him, and he's my friend. Apple gave home the same apple ID and email, so I get emails when he gets repais or contacts apple. They said that they would clear it up, but I still get the emails and I'm worried they'll send his stuff to me when they ship his electronics
    never had good cs experience from them. I wrote such a scathing review last time the manager of the local store called me apologize. Took my 15" mbp into apple for service, came back still broken, had to reset my 4s due to a problem with some apple installed app. they handed it back to me without making sure my photostream was back, none of my apps installed, none of my email account set up, nothing. then then forgot to give me back my mbp till I told them again and again that they needed to give it back to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast