Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

My new baby

This is a discussion on My new baby within the Tech Corner forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So I build gaming computers for fun and as a side job. After 3-5 months I sell them and use ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

My new baby

So I build gaming computers for fun and as a side job. After 3-5 months I sell them and use the money to build a new one. I typically mod the case and overclock the living crap out of it but for this one I'm going to do an easy peasey build.

Monitor: LG 29EA73-P -- 29" with a 2560 x 1080 and amazing response time.. This is one SEXY monitor!!
    Case: Silverstone PS07B-W -- The window being on the wrong side just drew me to it... it was like a bad accident.. I couldn't look away...
    PS: EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W -- NOT overclocking and the CPU I picked out is low voltage.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge -- Non-K version... First non-overclockable CPU I've purchased in years!
    Heatsink: Intel factory heatsink -- Not overclocking so I can use the factory heatsink... It's gonna feel so wrong snapping it on there...
    MB: ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 -- B75 with USB 3 and SATA 6
    Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 -- Used this memory on probably 4 builds now, they need to give me a frequent buyer card or something...
    Vid: ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 770 2GB -- Got it crazy cheap
    HD: Seagate ST1000DX001 1TB Hybrid Desktop drive -- Loved my last one so buying it again!
    Misc: Gold plated display port cord, 4-pack of 120mm silent fan, 10gb SATA 3.0 USB drive (for faster W8 install).

The goal here is to be able to play most games on max settings at 2560x1080. For the majority of the games I play (WoW, ESO, etc) that won't be an issue. For the more hardcore RPG's like Metro Last Light I may have to dial back the graphics just a bit.

I can post pics later tonight or tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar

Re: My new baby

Wow sounds like it would be a beast of a machine, but why not i7 since your not over clocking??

Looking to build a new HTPC soon as my current one is about 5 years old. I went with an i3 and integrated graphics on the old one so looking for a somewhat decent card on the new one. I'll have to post specs when i'm done.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Wow sounds like it would be a beast of a machine, but why not i7 since your not over clocking??

Looking to build a new HTPC soon as my current one is about 5 years old. I went with an i3 and integrated graphics on the old one so looking for a somewhat decent card on the new one. I'll have to post specs when i'm done.
    Budgetary reasons. Don't tell the wife but I actually went over budget by quite a bit as is, that i7 would probably have gotten me some couch time

Nice Build. I just finished a AMD build myself. 8350,7970,SSD in a C70 case.

Only 2GB of Vram?

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Tgs679 View Post
    Nice Build. I just finished a AMD build myself. 8350,7970,SSD in a C70 case.

Only 2GB of Vram?
    I wanted to go with the 4gb version but that would have put me waaaaaaaaaay over budget. For the games I play: ESO, WoW, Terra, etc it seems to be doing fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by KS-Derek View Post
    I wanted to go with the 4gb version but that would have put me waaaaaaaaaay over budget. For the games I play: ESO, WoW, Terra, etc it seems to be doing fine though.
    I hear ya. the Vram really kicks up the price.

I've got 3GB with my 7970 but I'm only gaming at 1920X1080 hope i can get three or so years before AAA games crush it.

Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar

Budgetary reasons. Don't tell the wife but I actually went over budget by quite a bit as is, that i7 would probably have gotten me some couch time
    Ahh Ok, just wanted to be sure I'm not missing something in the reasoning for i5.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I can post pics later tonight or tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    Yes post some pics. Who doesn't like tech pr0n?