Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When he is laid to rest...

This is a discussion on When he is laid to rest... within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'd like to ask that you spare a moment and a thought for my father-in-law. He passed away yesterday afternoon ...

When he is laid to rest...

I'd like to ask that you spare a moment and a thought for my father-in-law. He passed away yesterday afternoon from respiratory failure.

He was a simple, unaffected man and we enjoyed each other's company, the family meals we shared, the drinks we sipped and the smokes we puffed. He appreciated life and enjoyed its quiet pleasures, and the company of friends.

He never for one moment treated me like I stole his daughter, my wife, away but instead welcomed and made me one of the family. He cared about me, loved me and my wife and I hold him in enormous regard and with deep love, despite being separated by distance and time zones.

His was an interesting life that spanned the Second World War; he fled the Cultural Revolution in China, saw Hong Kong's return to the PRC, and he moved to Toronto where he lived happily until his passing yesterday.

He would regale us with stories and insights and loved to reminisce. His mind was sharp till the end, and had recently returned from a month-long trip to Hong Kong and China. He raised his family with dignity and honor and was proud of every one of his children. He raised them well.

I will remember his tall, lanky frame, his shock of silver-white hair, his easy smile and throaty laugh. One moment in time stands out: a lunch on a freezing day in February this year. There were only four of us - my father-in-law, my wife and her sister, and I. My mother-in-law and others were busy. Throughout the lunch at the restaurant we were laughing, joking and eating well, it was relaxed and unhurried and we were happy to be in each other's company -- I now realize it was a truly happy, blissful moment for us. I will remember this.

And I will miss him.

Richard

Re: When he is laid to rest...

Sounds like a good man. I'm truly sorry for you loss and will think of your story whilst providing prayer for those around me.

T-

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old Gorilla gone Puffer dustinhayden's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    "A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses."
    -- Anonymous

Full grown Puffer Fish NJ Stogie King's Avatar

Richard,

Thoughts and prayers for you, your wife, and your family are sent! Your father-in-law sounded like a wonderful and happy man! At least you have the February lunch to think back on and always remember the good times that were had!

Jonathan

JCK

God Bless. Cherish the memories you shared with us. I'm sure he is smiling upon the family always.

Ji
    Ji

Richard, My sincere condolences to you and your family. Prayers sent for you all.

Thoughts and Prayers sent Richard. I will be thinking about you my friend.

Take care Richard, and try not to cry for what you lost, but smile for the great times you had.

Richard, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.

Thank you for infusing my heart and soul with a story of a man and a family that knew joy in caring for one another. Your words are a Blessing that go beyond the moment and this place.

"aspera! per aspera! per ardua! ad astra!"

I'm sorry for your loss Bro,celebrate his life...
    Dave...
    Smoke what *YOU* like,like what you smoke

Thoughts and prayers are with you. Hold close to your family and friends.
    “I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.”
    ―Joe Walsh

I AM NOT a fish!

Very nice post, very nice reminisces of someone who lived through some amazing times! God's Peace to you and yours at this difficult time. But, dwell on his wonderful life, and not his passing! Many Blessings!

Scratching Itches chippewastud79's Avatar

Prayers sent for you and your family. Sorry for the loss.
    You can never have too many cigars, they are like an investment in good times.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Dave
    Gone for awhile.

I WAS ALWAYS TAUGHT TO RESPECT MY ELDERS.... NOW I DON'T HAVE ANYONE TO
    RESPECT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast