Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dad..

This is a discussion on Dad.. within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Years ago (1975) the Air Force had a joint tasking with the Marines to retrieve the captured merchant ship Mayaguez. ...

Leading Puffer Fish CGAR Girl-cl's Avatar

Dad..

Years ago (1975) the Air Force had a joint tasking with the Marines to retrieve the captured merchant ship Mayaguez. A team of brave AF Security Police and Marines borded helos and went out. Never to return... never to complete their mission. Lives taken before lived. 12 days before my 1st birthday I lost my father in this mission. Each day I look in the mirror and am reminded of him....Now 33 years later I smoke one in his honor. Join me will you

Here's to you dad... I know you're smoking one up there... look down and smile. Your girl is running amuck just like you'd want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A well behaved woman has never made history
    ~~~Guess Im destined to make history.~~~

Puffer Fish with many spikes Wunderdawg's Avatar

It would be my honor.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving may not be for you.

Here's to Dad, CG!
    I quit drinking the Kool-Aid on 8/12/08.

Full grown Puffer Fish aracos-cl's Avatar

From the Havamal:

"Cattle Die, Kinsmen Die
    We ourselves will also Die
    One thing that never Dies is the fair fame of one who has earned it..."

Hail Gregory Hankamer...

I'll be sure to light up that PAM I have in his memory...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader mhlatke's Avatar

I'm sure he would be proud of you.
    "BADGES???....we don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Puffer Fish with some spikes AragornElessar86-cl's Avatar

Will do, thanks Dad for your service.
    [SIZE=3]"There are two things a man never forgets - his first love and his first cigar." -- John Bain, Cigar Lover[/SIZE]

No longer a community member.

Sgt.Gregory L Hankamer
    Air Force
    Nakhon Phanom, 56th SPS
    13MAY75, Non-Hostile: Helicopter Crash

Tribute by: Luke and Kristen Hankamer

I am Retired Master Sergeant Luther F. Hankamer, II, USAF. Greg was my younger brother and I was the last of our family to see him alive. While he was at NKP RTAFB I was at ud RTAFB. Greg and his wife (Dim) and new baby (Sandra) were secduled to rotate back to the states in November of 1974, but he extended an extra six months. I saw him in early December when I was getting ready to rotate. I would like to thank the Vietnam Security Police Association for the web page and recognition of the men who died in the line of duty. Greg is the third person on the left side of the Helicopter in the picture on the SS Mayaques Rescue Operation page.

Thanks again,
    Luther F. Hankamer II
    MSGT, USAF Ret.
    I'm in. God bless you, your father was a hero. As we say in the CG, "You have to go out, but you do NOT have to return"

You have your father's smile......

My condolences Sondra...I'll send up some smoke signals tonight for a fallen hero.
    "Come on, Old Man, I've smoked since I was 5. Mother insisted".........Gomez Adams

So many men and women have given their all to this great country and her people. Of all the things I may have accomplished, or will accomplish in my life --- I am and will always be most proud of him and his service.

Toasted.. My uncle posted that years ago. ( I gave him hell for spelling my name wrong!)I was sitting there when he did that. I had to attend a ceremony to honor the 13 men that died for the AF that day at an AF base. Some of Dad's friends and past battle buddies were there. Each one said the same thing... "you got his smile". And the second I talked or did something.. they said "Yeah..that's Hank alright".

(and I wont go into the BS about the non hostile crap. Thai papers show otherwise. Some US papers as well..but that's politics)

To finish the story. 1 man was left off the mission. He was injured. An Airman took his spot. All of them died. The 1 man that didn't go.... Richard Bond. My Godfather. Spent 22 years looking for me. Found me and my mom a few years back. Totally an emotional moment seeing him. I was a year old when he last saw me.. and in my 20's when he saw me again.

Leading Puffer Fish cybervee-cl's Avatar

Semper Fidelis; Always Faithful. The Few. The Proud. The Marines.

My Father was also a Marine. It will be my pleasure to smoke one in honor of your Father.
    "Live your life as best you can, one moment at a time...... and when you put all the moments together you may have something worth remembering" - Humphrey Bogart

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR Girl View Post
    Toasted.. My uncle posted that years ago. ( I gave him hell for spelling my name wrong!)I was sitting there when he did that. I had to attend a ceremony to honor the 13 men that died for the AF that day at an AF base. Some of Dad's friends and past battle buddies were there. Each one said the same thing... "you got his smile". And the second I talked or did something.. they said "Yeah..that's Hank alright".

(and I wont go into the BS about the non hostile crap. Thai papers show otherwise. Some US papers as well..but that's politics)

To finish the story. 1 man was left off the mission. He was injured. An Airman took his spot. All of them died. The 1 man that didn't go.... Richard Bond. My Godfather. Spent 22 years looking for me. Found me and my mom a few years back. Totally an emotional moment seeing him. I was a year old when he last saw me.. and in my 20's when he saw me again.
    That's an incredible story Sondra. Gonna have a fine cigar for your Dad tonight....

Elder Puffer Fish Leader happy1's Avatar

It would be an honor to smoke one in his memory and for all who have given their ALL for this country
    It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.
    Douglas MacArthur

Will be smoking one!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader mrgatorman's Avatar

I have never been more proud of this place as I am now. I believe that the greatest gift is to lay down your life for a friend and the sacrifices our incredibly brave forces make i s by far the greatest gift anyone can give. To your dad Sondra...Its my honor and pleasure to smoke a cigar in his memory. Im glad that its become cliche, because that means its said alot...but to all who have served or those who have sacrificed for another serving...from the deepest part of my heart to you. Thank you.

All of our armed forces in all capacities, you are truly heros.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast