Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

my dad has me scared big time!

This is a discussion on my dad has me scared big time! within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; You and your dad are in my prayers....

Re: my dad has me scared big time!

You and your dad are in my prayers.

No longer a community member.

Thank you so very much everyone!!

I will be sure to keep y'all posted thru this hospital stay. You guys are wonderful!

Ole Crusty Spiked Fish tpharkman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Prayers Phil
    Just remember bro it's not Dad talking right now I know it's hard to see that but really with this disease it's very sad but Please remember it's not your dad saying that stuff. Your a good son brother. Hang in there!

God bless!

Dave

Dave is right on here. Your Dad is physically the same person but the way his mind works doesn't mirror his heart or his soul. I went through this with my Grandma and Grandpa before they passed and it was a struggle. They appear from the outside to be the exact same person we grew used to they unfortunately are suffering from an uncontrollable transformation from the inside out.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What you are doing is difficult but in your heart you know it can only be you. Stay strong and be encouraged in these trying times.
    Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Best wishes man. I really wanted to say more and tell you about my Dad but I really don't want to break down and start sobbing like a freaking baby. Sorry, enjoy him while he's around and I hope he's here for a long time and I hope for more good days than bad.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by BMack View Post
    Best wishes man. I really wanted to say more and tell you about my Dad but I really don't want to break down and start sobbing like a freaking baby. Sorry, enjoy him while he's around and I hope he's here for a long time and I hope for more good days than bad.
    It's normal Brian my dad passed right after Mt ST Helens the story goes they were driving back from visiting family in Iowa he had a stroke and could only see out of one eye he told Moms you need to help us get home honey. they made it. He was one of a kind!! Okay you are right all this time and I miss them so much. There more but I have to stop, Not my thread anyway sorry bro carry on and be well mate!!

You people with living parents treasure them, some of us didn't have the time!

Yes I am crying, dammit.

Guys, if any of have a story you wish to share, feel free. It's not a thread jack as far as I'm concerned. Just putting that out there. Thanks again everyone. You are all awesome!
    Last edited by Poneill272; 06-03-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Prayer up Phil!
    Dale

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish maxwell62's Avatar

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Phil.
    Bill O'Neil has given you the strength to handle these hard times.
    Hang in there bro.

Prayers for you and your family sent Phil.

My parents like your's are 83-84 and my dad also is in the early stages of what we think is alzheimers. Like many mentioned your father does not know what he is doing and what he is saying. My mother however is as sharp as she was 50 years ago and makes sure my dad is taken care of. We take time every day to check on them to see if they need anything.

You are a great son in giving your mom a break. Hang in there with her and stick with helping her as that will keep you both strong.

Prayers Sent!
    ViVat Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by Poneill272 View Post
    Guys, if any of have a story you wish to share, feel free. It's not a thread jack as far as I'm concerned. Just putting that out there. Thanks again everyone. You are all awesome!
    Hey Phil, I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad. It's a painful thing have to do, but caring for someone in the twilight of their life is one of the kindest things a person can do. He might be venting his frustration on you, but at least you've given him an outlet to express his anger.

My grandfather went through a similar phase before he passed. He couldn't take care of himself, was angry, and made life rough on my mother and her sister. They tried for years to get him to move into an assisted living facility, and he, of course, refused to go. They couldn't bring themselves MAKE him give up his home. However, after a particularly bad fall (broken bones this time), the hospital sent him to a nursing home to recover. Once he was there, he was a changed person. He had young (...female) nurses doting over him. The household chores that were so difficult for him to do weren't there anymore. And most importantly, he had peers for a change...people of the same age and physical condition as him. While he talked about going home occassionally, it was more stubborness than anything else. He was happy there.

I know nursing homes/assisted living facilities get a bad rap sometimes, but it's something to consider. There's only so much you can do. They have facilities that can accomodate both he and your mother, and you'd have the peace of mind of knowing that they were being tended to much more thoroughly than you'd be able to.

Best of luck, friend, and I hope things smooth out for you.

Mike

Good Luck Phil and Bill, our prayers are with you and your family.
    The Krazy Kanuck

Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar

Thoughts and prayers Phil.
    Pic is Reds owner Bob Castellini enjoying a cigar in the clubhouse after winning the division. Take that statewide smoking ban!

My prayers are with you.
    Wilson Roa (aka: Will)
    www.wilsonroaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonRoa View Post
    My prayers are with you.
    +1 Good luck with your dad Phil.

Thanks everyone, for your kind words and prayers!!

The latest news,
    He has been in the hospital the past few days, getting IV antibiotics and such. He has finally been seen by a neurosurgeon, and diagnosed with alzheimers, and prescriptions accordingly. The UTI is starting to clear up, but he is still out of sorts. They are going to be moving him to a nursing home today, for recovery. We are being told that he should only have to stay there for about a week, then he should be back to his previous self, except for the alzheimers, which isn't as advanced as the is infection makes it seem. The whole nursing home idea scares me a bit, because I have seen several of my family members go into them "temporarily" and never come out. I'm not mentally ready for that, but I do understand that right now, he does need 24 hr care, and requires 2ppl to getbto the bathroom and such. I just hope that it is on fact temporary. I've been there as much as I can, and will continue to be until this passes.

Thanks for reading guys! You all re awesome, like I said. And I will update again when i know more.

Take care bros!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast