Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

my dad has me scared big time!

This is a discussion on my dad has me scared big time! within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; My thoughts and prayers are with you....

Re: my dad has me scared big time!

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish maxwell62's Avatar

Thoughts & prayers continue your way, and your Dad's way.
    Hope his stay in the nursing home shall indeed prove to be a short one.
    And, yes I'm certain as the UTI clears you will see marked improvement.
    Stay strong Bro.

No longer a community member.

As the others I wish and pray for the best possible outcome brother!!

Thanks guys! He is indeed improving, and will probably be out in another week or 2. He's having physical therapy to help him walk better again, still pretty weak. I think his alzheimers has stepped up a notch, but at least he's finally getting meds for it. My mom has been a trooper thru all of this, and when I said I was gonna cancel our vacation, she told me to just go, no sene in staying home. So, I'm currently in North Carolina, headed to Myrtle beach. I feel guilty as he'll about it, but things are stabilized now, so it should be ok. I will continue to update this tho, as things improve. Thank you all for your prayers, they are helping I'm sure!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Glad to hear that things are turning around...family illnesses tend to make us nervous wrecks and it's hard to function much less be objective about things. Vacations are natures way of resetting the clock and helping us to deal with real life...take some time off and enjoy it...don't feel guilty for treating yourself right.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Evonnida's Avatar

Phil, I've been thinking about and praying for you and your family since I heard. I know it will probably be tough, but enjoy the vacation with your wife and kids! Make sure you smoke some good cigars and get some relaxation in.

Well guys, heres another update.

I know I said it looked like things were turning around, but apparantly, I was wrong. Dad has been in the hospital twice in the past week, another infection has returned, but they don't know what it is yet, they think maybe another UTI, and he is aspirating. He was turned over to hospice care just a few hours ago. I have been completely emotionless, which is scary, cuz I usually wear my emotions on my sleeve. Mom is going to the nursing home in the morning to remove his things, and then we are going to meet with the doctor. My kids are currently staying with my in-laws, they are still very young and I don't want to put them through all of this. It also enables me to go visit him anytime I want, which is hard to do when there are little ones running around. The constant fighting with his monitor cords, blankets, and wanting to get out of bed is very difficult to deal with and makes me feel terrible. But he isn't allowed to get out of bed because he cannot even walk without a walker, someone hilding his belt, and someone else following behind him with a wheelchair. And that was 3 or 4 days ago. At this point, he is pretty much bed ridden. he is 83 years old, and I am only 30. I am absolutely NOT ready for this yet. In about a month, he went from playing with my kids, going out to eat twice a day, following my mom around all the time, and going places with me, to not even recognizing me, my wife, or my kids, or most other family members (aside from my mom). I have no idea what to do or say. I am just being there for my parents at the drop of a hat.

I don't know what else to say for now. Thank you all for allowing me to vent.

I will again, keep this updated whenever new info arises.

Take care brothers!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poneill272 View Post
    Well guys, heres another update.

I know I said it looked like things were turning around, but apparantly, I was wrong. Dad has been in the hospital twice in the past week, another infection has returned, but they don't know what it is yet, they think maybe another UTI, and he is aspirating. He was turned over to hospice care just a few hours ago. I have been completely emotionless, which is scary, cuz I usually wear my emotions on my sleeve. Mom is going to the nursing home in the morning to remove his things, and then we are going to meet with the doctor. My kids are currently staying with my in-laws, they are still very young and I don't want to put them through all of this. It also enables me to go visit him anytime I want, which is hard to do when there are little ones running around. The constant fighting with his monitor cords, blankets, and wanting to get out of bed is very difficult to deal with and makes me feel terrible. But he isn't allowed to get out of bed because he cannot even walk without a walker, someone hilding his belt, and someone else following behind him with a wheelchair. And that was 3 or 4 days ago. At this point, he is pretty much bed ridden. he is 83 years old, and I am only 30. I am absolutely NOT ready for this yet. In about a month, he went from playing with my kids, going out to eat twice a day, following my mom around all the time, and going places with me, to not even recognizing me, my wife, or my kids, or most other family members (aside from my mom). I have no idea what to do or say. I am just being there for my parents at the drop of a hat.

I don't know what else to say for now. Thank you all for allowing me to vent.

I will again, keep this updated whenever new info arises.

Take care brothers!
    Man...I just don't know what to say that can even bring some peace into your life. The weight of the entire world must feel like it just got put on your shoulders. I can only imagine what or how many suggestions have been given to you. If your parents had some good insurance I know the Cleveland Clinic is one of those places where your family could get some great care. It's the definitive diagnosis that you are needing so the next steps can be taking for proper care. Hospice people are angels in disguise and they will help you all they can and talk to them...they usually have some of the best insight as far as what you are and will be going through.

As you go through this don't get down on yourself...you are doing everything you can and employ other members of your family if possible to share the load...it's not yours to carry alone. Keep us posted as thoughts and prayers are headed your way.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Phil
    Like Gary said there are no words but you have our Love and prayers brother for you and all your family!!!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish maxwell62's Avatar

Thoughts & prayers coming your way and continue for you and for all your family.

CBR

Phil, I am caught speechless with what to say, except to wish for an improvement or recovery for your dad and continued strength for you and your family.

Hang in there Phil ----- some more Prayers coming your way!
    ViVat Jesus!

My prayers are still with you and your family. Never lose faith brotha. bring him pictures, show him who you guys are. talk to him and tell him stories about the family, etc. Anything to jog his memory.

We may not all be there physically by your side but when you're with your dad, think of all of us standing behind you knowing we got your back brotha.
    Wilson Roa (aka: Will)
    www.wilsonroaphotography.com

Thanks a lot guys, I guess we are just taking it day by day now. All of your thoughts are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Poneill272 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys, I guess we are just taking it day by day now. All of your thoughts are appreciated.
    Phil, any thing I feel has already been said, but know this, a part of my heart (and all the brothers here) is with you.

Be strong, when you feel like giving up dig deeper. This will make you a stronger person and it will aid you in the future.

I am generally not religious, and tend to "pray" to my late Grandmother when I need to pray, but I will keep you and your father in my thoughts and conversation with my Granma.

You ARE a good son.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3