Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lost my basset today

This is a discussion on Lost my basset today within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Yesterday I took my 7yr old basset Montecore in for a dental and to have a few lumps removed. When ...

Lost my basset today

Yesterday I took my 7yr old basset Montecore in for a dental and to have a few lumps removed. When I picked him up I thought he was in worse shape than he has ever been post-anesthesia but figured he was just super doped up. He made it home okay, was walking fine and laid down to sleep.

In the middle of the night he started making a lot of noise and trying to get up. I moved him to a different room, gave him a pain pill and tucked him in. I was awoken a few hours later to him having passed bloody stool and an inability to stand or walk. He was barely responsive, was drooling badly and could not control his bowels.

I took him back to the vet, they did a blood test, and xrays, wrapped him in warm blankets, and hooked him up to fluids hoping to find a problem and fix it. But, he only got worse. A few hours later they called me and there was only one thing left to go. I went back over there, spent a few minutes with him and then made the toughest decision I've had to make in my 29 years.

He was my first dog and was my inspiration for getting into fostering. He helped me with over a dozen fosters. He never met a person he didn't like, and I've never met a person that didn't like him. I'll miss him so much. RIP little buddy.

I'm not a religious or spiritual person so I'm not going to ask for prayers. If you have a 4 legged friend nearby just give them a treat for Monte and maybe give a little extra hug.

I chose to enjoy a Partagas Short in memory of my low slung boy.

Montecore 2/8/04 - 11/29/11

Re: Lost my basset today

Sorry to hear for your loss The passing of a pet is a tough part of life. I've had to deal with it many times so I know how you're feeling. In the end all the good times you have with them definitely make it worth it.

It's the craziness of it all happening so fast that is overwhelming. We went through the same thing with my girlfriends cat 2 years ago. Take her in for something somewhat routine, and within a few hours you are pulling the plug.

The other bizarre part is that we almost scheduled to put down my girlfriends dog on Monday because of some spinal problems but he was doing well all weekend so we are putting it off. His days are numbered too. Factor in the 2 foster dogs that we adopted out in September and we are potentially going from 5 dogs to 1 in a very short period of time.

It certainly sucks whenever this happens, regardless of circumstances.

Having said goodbye to three dogs in the last thirty od years, it is not easy. They become family quite fast and the loss of the dog can be as devastating as losing any other family member. I know my dogs have always been my best friends. Have a memorial service, shed tears and talk to your family and others who knew your friend, remember the special unconditional love and friendship you shared.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Sorry for your loss!
    Remember "All Dogs Go To Heaven!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Sorry for your loss!
    Remember "All Dogs Go To Heaven!
    I always thought all dogs were reincarnated bikers. That is why they love to go for rides with their heads out the window to get "in the wind"

Name:  3683185551_a57cd92abd_m.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  21.6 KB
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Disinterested

Brought tears to my eyes, Jonathan and indeed, I'm petting my Jerry as I type this. My heart breaks for you, brother.

"Speak kindly to me dear Master, for our time together is brief."

Your Dog

Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar

So sorry to hear man.
    Pic is Reds owner Bob Castellini enjoying a cigar in the clubhouse after winning the division. Take that statewide smoking ban!

Man I am so sorry you had to make that decision. I love my maggie and I know she is getting up there. I lost my maltese a year ago when he died in his sleep. Just know that you loved him and he loved you. Maybe this is a sign that he was ready to move on and let you foster/help just one more dog and this was his way to do it.

God bless ya brother.
    Legion of BOOM!!! Enforcement Division.

I appreciate the kind words everyone, it is not a secret of how warm this community is during the tough time we occasionally go through and I'm thankful for that. I'm still in this bizarro state of still needing some time to wrap my mind around it but I am spending a little more time thinking of the good times, and not about what went wrong.

He was my first dog, I got him for my 22nd bday. My brother suggested the breed and gave me the money to buy him. I literally got the house I'm in because it had a built in dog door. I bought a Honda Element because I could remove the back seats and put a bed in the back for him. It's crazy how many of my (and so many of our) decisions involved how it would affect my little 4 legged friend.

Glad to be a part of this community and to have something like cigars that allowed me the time to enjoy those around me. He was always at my feet getting a butt rub as my gf and I shared a cigar and a drink. He set the bar very high for any that follow. Thanks again fellas for the touching posts.

Home Brewin' Herfer doomXsaloon's Avatar

hey, man....so sorry for your loss....words can't express, but you've got years of treasured memories...just remember too, and take comfort and peace in knowing, that just as Montecore gave you so much, you gave him in return....
    "Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels." --Alfred de Musset

Holder of the crazy chain Rackir's Avatar

I really believe that just as we shaped thier species for the last few thousand years, we too have been been shaped by them. I think that's why a dog whose only job is the lie on the couch and watch the game with us still fills that part of our brain reserved for a protector, a hunting partner, friend and dependent all rolled into one. As anyone who has ever bonded with a dog knows, they become far more than an animal, they become an irreplaceable part of our family that steps up and helps us hold back the dark.

I am sorry for your loss Jon, I cant imagine how you feel right now. You did everything you could though, and it absolutely sounds like he had 7 amazing years with you, and touched alot of hearts. All we can hope for is to leave the world better than we found it, and by your description Montecore did exactly that.
    I find your lack of mailbox, disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Noob View Post
    He was my first dog, I got him for my 22nd bday. My brother suggested the breed and gave me the money to buy him. I literally got the house I'm in because it had a built in dog door. I bought a Honda Element because I could remove the back seats and put a bed in the back for him. It's crazy how many of my (and so many of our) decisions involved how it would affect my little 4 legged friend.
    So true, one of the reasons I bought the house I have is because to take my wiener dog outside, she doesn't have to go up down any steps wether she is upstairs or downstairs. The problem is she would rather go potty out the downstairs door so now she has to run down 16 steps to get downstairs because she refuses to go potty out the side garage door if we are upstairs.
    Legion of BOOM!!! Enforcement Division.

Man that sucks, So sorry to hear about your buddy!

My thought are with you Jonathan....it is a hard decision for one to make but in the end it is the right thing. I had to do a similar thing to my childhood pet about 5 & 8 years ago. Seeing that I am 32 now those family members of mine did have a long life and contributed more to the family then most non-pet havers will ever know.

I'll smoke a VSG that a ninjaforallseasons sen
    "Sandpaper a lions ass in a phonebooth" ~Mr. Slick~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast